Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Rubik

I think Rick has been a brilliant head coach for this group, I also think he has been overplaying Demko since ASB. 
Does that make me part of the anti Rick crowd?  Are we only pro Rick if we think everything he does is perfect?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I think Rick has been a brilliant head coach for this group, I also think he has been overplaying Demko since ASB. 
Does that make me part of the anti Rick crowd?  Are we only pro Rick if we think everything he does is perfect?

Based on Demko's percentage of starts (49 out of 66 games), he was on pace to start in 60-61 games in the full 82 games schedule. I don't think it's overplaying, it's very reasonable number of games for the starter (74.2%). It's not above other starters. Georgiev (Avs) played 52 out of 65 games (80%), Saros (Preds) - 52 out of 66 (78.8%), Skinner (Oilers), Sorokin (Islanders) and Hellebuyck (Jets) all played 47 out of 63 games (74.6%). Not sure what all the fuss is about. Anyone can be injured. There's zero evidence that this particular injury has anything to do with the number of games Demko played.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RomanPer said:

Based on Demko's percentage of starts (49 out of 66 games), he was on pace to start in 60-61 games in the full 82 games schedule. I don't think it's overplaying, it's very reasonable number of games for the starter (74.2%). It's not above other starters. Georgiev (Avs) played 52 out of 65 games (80%), Saros (Preds) - 52 out of 66 (78.8%), Skinner (Oilers), Sorokin (Islanders) and Hellebuyck (Jets) all played 47 out of 63 games (74.6%). Not sure what all the fuss is about. Anyone can be injured. There's zero evidence that this particular injury has anything to do with the number of games Demko played.

Most starters aim for around 55 games now.

Demko has had issues with durability and has had major hip surgery and groin issues.  He should targeting more in the 50-55 game range IMO. 

• Upvote 1
  • Desmenko 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2024 at 3:34 PM, DrJockitch said:

Most starters aim for around 55 games now.

Demko has had issues with durability and has had major hip surgery and groin issues.  He should targeting more in the 50-55 game range IMO. 

I would really rather have Demko play 45 to 50 and have Silovs play 35 next year.  Then ride Demko in the playoffs.  We need to think about the playoffs early on and we need to think about developing the next one.  Just my opinion.  

April 6th now so hopefully Demko is back very soon and gets at least two games before the playoffs. Hopefully Silovs is also up for the playoff run.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

I would really rather have Demko play 45 to 50 and have Silovs play 35 next year.  Then ride Demko in the playoffs.  We need to think about the playoffs early on and we need to think about developing the next one.  Just my opinion.  

April 6th now so hopefully Demko is back very soon and gets at least two games before the playoffs. Hopefully Silovs is also up for the playoff run.  

Especially next year so he has extra time to recover from his 16 playoff wins. 

• Cheers 1
  • Desmenko 1

Did an analysis of my choices for the Vezina trophy so far (not much will change from here out, likely) and here are my top 5:

5. Jordan Binnington

4. Joey Daccord

3. Jeremy Swayman

2. Thatcher Demko

1. Connor Hellebuyck

Demko fell off a little after his hot start, but a lot of other goalies fell off more. The gap between Hellebuyck and Demko is large, but the gap between Demko and the rest of the pack is also pretty significant. Great season from who will almost certainly be a Vezina finalist and probably the runner-up.

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Did an analysis of my choices for the Vezina trophy so far (not much will change from here out, likely) and here are my top 5:

5. Jordan Binnington

4. Joey Daccord

3. Jeremy Swayman

2. Thatcher Demko

1. Connor Hellebuyck

Demko fell off a little after his hot start, but a lot of other goalies fell off more. The gap between Hellebuyck and Demko is large, but the gap between Demko and the rest of the pack is also pretty significant. Great season from who will almost certainly be a Vezina finalist and probably the runner-up.

it'll be bucks to lose. Demko's injury made that a sure thing. 

Just now, Bob Long said:

it'll be bucks to lose. Demko's injury made that a sure thing. 

Yeah, unless Hellebuyck gets blown out and Demko has like two shutouts to end the season, I don't see it swinging.

Just now, -AJ- said:

Yeah, unless Hellebuyck gets blown out and Demko has like two shutouts to end the season, I don't see it swinging.

and thats fine. Oh no, we have a Vezina finalist quality goalie. Same with Hughes, I fully expect the eastern writers to give the Norris to Salad Kid, even though Hughes is deserving of it. 

There's no way Demko beats Hellebuyck this season, the injury cemented that. Hellebuyck's honestly been in a league of his own, being the runner up to such a tender is a compliment in itself. 

Plus, getting a nomination at all may help pave the way for him down the road. Hellebuyck himself was the runner up to Rinne in 17-18 before prior to winning in 19-20. He was a finalist again last season. Being in the mix for trophies matters because narratives matter, the power of a narrative will likely help MacKinnon win the Hart/Lindsay this season. 

What'll be really interesting to see is how Canucks fans will react if Demko comes back, steps in, and isn't lights out the way he was before he went down. Yes, he's been rehabbing and practicing and whatnot, but that ain't the same as playing games. He may need to shake off some rust, he's been out for a long stretch now. 

I calculate that if the Canucks blow Hellebuyck out of the water in their last game and Demko has a very strong game, he could come close or even tie Hellebuyck's save percentage. Enough to win the Vezina? Still probably not unfortunately, since Hellebucyk has more games and an insane GSAx that Demko can't catch.

And Demko is out.

I'm getting concerned that he may already be past his 'best before date',

2019-20 Vancouver Canucks NHL 27 0 0 1529 78 0 0 3.06 13 10 2 744 0.905 4 0 0
2020-21 Vancouver Canucks NHL 35 0 0 2087 99 0 1 2.85 16 18 1 1065 0.915 - - -
2021-22 Vancouver Canucks NHL 64 2 2 3701 168 0 1 2.72 33 22 7 1799 0.915 - - -
2022-23 Vancouver Canucks NHL 32 1 4 1879 99 0 1 3.16 14 14 4 906 0.901 - - -
2023-24 Vancouver Canucks NHL 51 1 0 3016 123 0 5 2.45 35 14 2 1369 0.918      
2023-24p Vancouver Canucks NHL 1 0 0 60 2 0 0 2.00 1 0 0 20 0.909    

Maxxed out at 64 games played, next best is this year with 51.

Multiple injuries.

He's 28 and signed for 2 more years, after this at $5 mill per

Concussions, hip surgery, knee problems- at least twice, and whatever else.

Might be time to do a trade- after he's healthy again.

3 hours ago, Gurn said:

And Demko is out.

I'm getting concerned that he may already be past his 'best before date',

2019-20 Vancouver Canucks NHL 27 0 0 1529 78 0 0 3.06 13 10 2 744 0.905 4 0 0
2020-21 Vancouver Canucks NHL 35 0 0 2087 99 0 1 2.85 16 18 1 1065 0.915 - - -
2021-22 Vancouver Canucks NHL 64 2 2 3701 168 0 1 2.72 33 22 7 1799 0.915 - - -
2022-23 Vancouver Canucks NHL 32 1 4 1879 99 0 1 3.16 14 14 4 906 0.901 - - -
2023-24 Vancouver Canucks NHL 51 1 0 3016 123 0 5 2.45 35 14 2 1369 0.918      
2023-24p Vancouver Canucks NHL 1 0 0 60 2 0 0 2.00 1 0 0 20 0.909    

Maxxed out at 64 games played, next best is this year with 51.

Multiple injuries.

He's 28 and signed for 2 more years, after this at $5 mill per

Concussions, hip surgery, knee problems- at least twice, and whatever else.

Might be time to do a trade- after he's healthy again.

cory schneider 2.0

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, -AJ- said:

64 games is essentially 82 games. Almost no goalies play that much in today's day. Saros led the NHL this year with 64 games and only three played more than 60 games, so to imply that 64 as a max is low is not accurate. A simple interpolation of first and 32nd ranked goalies in games played leads to an approximated average games played of 52 for an NHL starter. I'm not concerned with a goalie "only" playing 51 games. 2019-20 was a COVID-shortened year and he was Markstrom's backup, so that doesn't really count for games as a starter.  2020-21 was the COVID-shortened 56-game season

I'm on the boat of keep him long-term. I don't believe there's enough evidence to assume he'll be constantly injured in the years to come. All we have recently is one long-term injury in 2022-23 and a three-week injury in 2023-24, plus now one more that might keep him out, what, two weeks? Let's not pretend this is Rick Dipietro 2.0. He's likely to finish 2nd in Vezina voting this year. It'd be beyond insane to trade him IMO.

Absolutely correct.  And for 2020-21, 35 games out of 56 extrapolated over 82 games is 51 games as well.

I wouldn't trade him, but I certainly think the Canucks should be looking at his successor.  Not sure any of our current goalies have the potential of turning into our next Demko.  Although a Vezina calibre goaltender is asking a lot.  A star goaltender would suffice.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

Absolutely correct.  And for 2020-21, 35 games out of 56 extrapolated over 82 games is 51 games as well.

I wouldn't trade him, but I certainly think the Canucks should be looking at his successor.  Not sure any of our current goalies have the potential of turning into our next Demko.  Although a Vezina calibre goaltender is asking a lot.  A star goaltender would suffice.

Demko’s value, with his contract, would be through the roof. There would be a lot of teams bidding for him. 

The question is why is he getting injured on non contact plays each year?  He lost a chunk of last year and this year and then this year's playoffs on plays that every goalie makes every game.

I don't get it.

But it is likely the biggest issue for the Canucks to answer if they want to compete in their window.

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Demko’s value, with his contract, would be through the roof. There would be a lot of teams bidding for him. 

Canucks are so deep on goal tending that all value in the rooster is likely a regular exercise they go thru. Demko's injury history has to be a concern.