Second half of schedule looks good.

Looking ahead to the schedule it looks pretty favourable.  I didn't really dig deep into quality of opponents though.

4 back to backs.  One more 5 game road trip.

A NINE GAME HOMESTAND.  Almost the whole month they don't have to leave town.  That is amazing.

The kicker to all of this is near the end of the season, last month and a half or so, lots of the games have multiple days off between them.  I mean the schedule has been kind of tough so far this year.  It sure is going to help every stay pretty rested.

The Oilers looks pretty tough 6 back to backs and amost playing every second night in the last two months.  I"m hoping we can keep the gap until that part of the season, then I think the Oilers will falter.  Giving us a good shot at the division.  I surely don't want to face them in the first round.  Let someone else take them out.

What are your thoughts on how the schedule looks for the balance?

Edited by DANJR
typo
  • Like 1

I absolutely want to face Edmonton in the first round.  If not them, it will be Vegas or LA which have been better than the coil so far.  But mainly I just want to continue a season long beatdown on these pretenders.  They want to run and gun with us?  Bring it on.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DANJR said:

Looking ahead to the schedule it looks pretty favourable.  I didn't really dig deep into quality of opponents though.

A NINE GAME HOMESTAND.  Almost the whole month they don't have to leave town.  That is amazing.

The kicker to all of this is near the end of the season, last month and a half or so, lots of the games have multiple days off between them.  I mean the schedule has been kind of tough so far this year.  It sure is going to help every stay pretty rested.

The Oilers looks pretty tough 6 back to backs and amost playing every second night in the last two months.  I"m hoping we can keep the gap until that part of the season, then I think the Oilers will falter.  Giving us a good shot at the division.  I surely don't want to face them in the first round.  Let someone else take them out.

oilers have 14 games remaining against team that currently have no shot at the playoff vs we only have 10. rest down the stretch is good but tbh i rather playing every 2nd night down the stretch and have the rest mid season to get in the groove and used to the tempo heading into the playoff, and i don't care what people say i don't want to play the current version of the oilers.. highest scoring chance for one of the lowest scoring chance against.. unlikely their goalie let in beachball every single game. Skinner since the coaching change and mcdavid back to being mcdavid.. skinner have a 2.24 .916 sv% demko in the same stretch is 2.97 .900 sv%

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I absolutely want to face Edmonton in the first round.  If not them, it will be Vegas or LA which have been better than the coil so far.  But mainly I just want to continue a season long beatdown on these pretenders.  They want to run and gun with us?  Bring it on.

Remember how Toronto was cheering they were going to face Florida in the second round?

How did that turn out.

Yes Edmonton, has a patchwork defence and it's goaltending is spotty.

But I'd be concerned facing them. But boy would it feel good crushing Edmonton's Cup dreams.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

25 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Remember how Toronto was cheering they were going to face Florida in the second round?

How did that turn out.

Yes Edmonton, has a patchwork defence and it's goaltending is spotty.

But I'd be concerned facing them. But boy would it feel good crushing Edmonton's Cup dreams.

To be honest, I'd rather facing Seattle than Edmonton for our first round opponent unless Seattle can snag up the WC2 and let Edmonton play in Central division bracket.  We need an easy travel for first round so that we do not have to extend our energy travelling with WC2 from central division.  Even if Seattle is slight overall better than Edmonton, I wouldn't mind having Seattle for first time in a playoff series.    McDavid and Drai do scare me if they played like they did last year playoffs.  It is respecting your opponents even if we did well early in the season against them.

Best part of the 2nd half schedule is that we do not ever leave PST time zone after February 22nd for two whole months except for Oilers/Jets but Oilers game time starting at 7pm PST so not a big difference in April anyways and maybe the playoffs until WCF.  So it's potential 3 months unless we drew a first round opponent from Central Division team as a WC team.  I could never imagine this type of schedule and travelling, ever in a long time.  This is similar to Eastern travel schedule after February 22nd.  It is a different feeling, for sure when thinking about it.  Maybe too early to start thinking about it because lots of things can happen from now until end of the season.   I doubt that it will ever happen again.  Might as well take advantage of this one this year.

• Like 1

From what I've heard, we have it easy in terms of travel, but very hard in terms of quality of competition. Either way, we're clearly an elite team, so we should be up to the challenge.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DANJR said:

When I first saw that my first thought was that's gonna make or break our season, but with how things have gone so far we should be able to lock up a playoff spot during that stretch or shortly thereafter. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DANJR said:

If you're trying to say the second half of our schedule looks exciting, then yes.  Absolutely.  If you're trying to suggest we have an easy second half ahead of us, you couldn't be more wrong.  We have faced Colorado and Vegas once.  We have not yet faced Boston.  We have not yet faced Winnipeg.  We haven't even faced Los Angeles yet.  These teams are the juggernauts of the NHL, along with us.  We definitely have our work cut out.

4 games against the Kings

3 games against the Golden Knights

3 games against the Jets

2 games against the Avalanche

2 games against the Bruins

2 games against the Red Wings

1 game against the Oilers

Now tell me - how the fuck does that look favourable to us?

Edited by Miss Korea
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, DANJR said:

Guess you didn't read the second sentence.

I get it.  The scheduling looks better and more spread out.  But there is a stretch where we play the Kings, Knights, Jets, and Avalanche in that order.  The quality of our opponents is far more important than our schedule.  I for one welcome that challenge, but there is no doubt they will be hard teams to play.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

If you're trying to say the second half of our schedule looks exciting, then yes.  Absolutely.  If you're trying to suggest we have an easy second half ahead of us, you couldn't be more wrong.  We have faced Colorado and Vegas once.  We have not yet faced Boston.  We have not yet faced Winnipeg.  We haven't even faced Los Angeles yet.  These teams are the juggernauts of the NHL, along with us.  We definitely have our work cut out.

3 games against the Jets

2 games against the Oilers

only 1 game against oilers. we already won 3 against them.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I get it.  The scheduling looks better and more spread out.  But there is a stretch where we play the Kings, Knights, Jets, and Avalanche in that order.  The quality of our opponents is far more important than our schedule.  I for one welcome that challenge, but there is no doubt they will be hard teams to play.

ya tbh i worry about quality of opponent than spread out schedule... players are used to playing every other night and hectic schedule down the stretch.. didn't seem to affect teams that won the cup. my prefer route if we get there is playing whoever ends up in wc2 but that would require us to win the conference which is easier said than done.. winnipeg is every step as good as the canucks and hally is starting to run away with the vezina.. ideal would be edmonton la vegas and whoever wins the central knock out 2 of themselves.. personally i think this playoff format is horrendous.. there's no reward for winning a conference or division.. you can easily get the 4th 5th best team in the conference as ur 1st round and the 2nd best team in the 2nd round lol while if you are in a weak division.. your path to the cup is so easy. nhl is lucky there isn't a super weak division yet.. imagine a 2.500 team in the 2nd and 3rd slot in a division lol and the divison winner just need to take out a wc and a .500 team that normally wouldn't make the playoff to reach a conferene final

When you're at the top of the league I don't think the quality of competition matters - if anything it might help us get ready for the playoffs. We just lost to the Blues who may not make the playoffs and just destroyed NJD and NYR who are cup contenders. 

Without jinxing it, we don't need extra points, we're almost a lock for the playoffs, but playing some good teams down the stretch might be a nice little training camp for the big dance. Then when we go in top-2 in our division and play a lesser team we can beat up on them.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

IMHO

The Oilers,Kings,Vegas,Jets and Av's should be the ones worried about playing us in the 1st round!

For sure.  But we can also expect them to put their best forward against us in these regular season tilts.  They know it's a potential playoff match-up.  Nobody's going to be on cruise control during these games.

4 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

3 games against the Jets

I see you tried to sneak the Red Wings in this list 🤣

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

3 games against the Jets

IMO this is the perfect schedule to end the season.

Canucks will get more rest than most teams to end the season and they get to play against top notch competition.

Much better than coasting and beating on the Sharks and ducks to end the season and get complacent.

Even if the canucks get their butt kicked against these teams it will set them up better for the playoffs. 

E.g. how often to president choice trophy teams get eliminated in 1st or 2nd round? Because they faced no adversity to end the season... vs teams like the panthers, blues, knights (in recent memory) that faced adversity down the stretch and helped them when the playoffs started.

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

ya tbh i worry about quality of opponent than spread out schedule... players are used to playing every other night and hectic schedule down the stretch.. didn't seem to affect teams that won the cup. my prefer route if we get there is playing whoever ends up in wc2 but that would require us to win the conference which is easier said than done.. winnipeg is every step as good as the canucks and hally is starting to run away with the vezina.. ideal would be edmonton la vegas and whoever wins the central knock out 2 of themselves.. personally i think this playoff format is horrendous.. there's no reward for winning a conference or division.. you can easily get the 4th 5th best team in the conference as ur 1st round and the 2nd best team in the 2nd round lol while if you are in a weak division.. your path to the cup is so easy. nhl is lucky there isn't a super weak division yet.. imagine a 2.500 team in the 2nd and 3rd slot in a division lol and the divison winner just need to take out a wc and a .500 team that normally wouldn't make the playoff to reach a conferene final

With the way NHL schedule matrix works, you'll never catch them napping with .500 record for 2nd and 3rd team in division, unless entire division go 0-56 for all non-division games, it will not happen.  You may get a division that is so weak but they will always play against each other to gain points.   You will always get some respectable records against non-division teams every year.  It is schedule matrix that makes weaker division teams looking good, no matter what.

7 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

3 games against the Jets

Lets Fight About It GIF

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

When you're at the top of the league I don't think the quality of competition matters - if anything it might help us get ready for the playoffs. We just lost to the Blues who may not make the playoffs and just destroyed NJD and NYR who are cup contenders. 

Without jinxing it, we don't need extra points, we're almost a lock for the playoffs, but playing some good teams down the stretch might be a nice little training camp for the big dance. Then when we go in top-2 in our division and play a lesser team we can beat up on them.

Agreed! A rested team that is able to sharpen iron with iron before the playoffs is actually very beneficial; work on protecting leads and playing our system hard. In the end, we have done the hard work to get to the point where the odd lose isn't life or death.

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Agreed! A rested team that is able to sharpen iron with iron before the playoffs is actually very beneficial; work on protecting leads and playing our system hard. In the end, we have done the hard work to get to the point where the odd lose isn't life or death.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

3 games against the Jets

Good warm up for the playoffs to see how we measure against the best. It'll show if we're really contenders or pretenders.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

From what I've heard, we have it easy in terms of travel, but very hard in terms of quality of competition. Either way, we're clearly an elite team, so we should be up to the challenge.

The February schedule, well not sure what actuary or mathemical genuis made it, is loaded up with LA and Vegas games.   That will as things stand right now, for sure determine what happens as where we end up.   It won't be an east series, same with the second round.  Don't mind that at all.  

• Like 1