Q&A with Canucks GM Patrik Allvin

19 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

What do you read into the fact he didn't mention Akito Hirose as one of the young players but did Cole McWard?   As to my eye he could be playing Hirose in the day to day defence now.  

Saving him up as a secret weapon/ninja warrior?  :classic_ninja:

• ThereItIs 2

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

I respect how professional Allvin is when handling the Petey contract situation. It must be very frustrating for them to be stalled waiting for Petey to sit down and get this done. Cant sign expiring UFA's. Cant make a trade that impacts future salary cap etc.

I'm starting to get a little impatient with the situation and I don't have any skin in the game so to speak.

I know Petey is a good person and a hell of a good hockey player, but him holding out on his last contract, and now stalling on this one is starting to rub me the wrong way. Not coming off as a "team player".

He has another year to sign one.  He isn't stalling.  He is doing what he said he was going to do.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

What do you read into the fact he didn't mention Akito Hirose as one of the young players but did Cole McWard?   As to my eye he could be playing Hirose in the day to day defence now.  

Hirose has had a disappointing season in Abby and has apparently had some injury trouble. As he turns 25 in April he is running out of runway. And with Hughes, Soucy, Zadorov and Cole at the LD position I do not see him getting a call up this season.  And the Canucks are hoping DPetey joins Abby late in the season.

It was surprising that he was with Vancouver for quite a while and played very little. He got in only 3 games and his average TOI was 12:06. And in Abby, Wolanin appears to be ahead of Hirose on the depth chart.  (Wolanin missed out on a call-up to Vancouver earlier in the season due to injury.)

Right now, things are not looking great for Hirose but I hope he can turn things around.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I respect how professional Allvin is when handling the Petey contract situation. It must be very frustrating for them to be stalled waiting for Petey to sit down and get this done. Cant sign expiring UFA's. Cant make a trade that impacts future salary cap etc.

I'm starting to get a little impatient with the situation and I don't have any skin in the game so to speak.

I know Petey is a good person and a hell of a good hockey player, but him holding out on his last contract, and now stalling on this one is starting to rub me the wrong way. Not coming off as a "team player".

I have to agree with you on this. I’ve been a big Petey fan since he was drafted. Have his jersey and all that, but some things including this are starting to bother me. Agreed, a good person and great player regardless, but there’s more to it. Want a winning team, great, but that means being part of the solution in multiple ways…your play on the ice, commitment, not dragging out your contract and effecting other things, signing a reasonable contract…thus allowing management to build the best team possible, which contributes to winning and more so hopefully winning the cup. And, I do understand that no player is obligated to take a discount etc, but at the same time, if you handcuff management in regards to building a winning team because you got greedy, then that’s selfish and a little hypocritical given all you’ve talked about is being on a winning team. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

He has another year to sign one.  He isn't stalling.  He is doing what he said he was going to do.

OK can someone explain this to me? His current contract expires after this season. So what does it mean "he has another year to sign"

52 minutes ago, 88Canuck said:

I have to agree with you on this. I’ve been a big Petey fan since he was drafted. Have his jersey and all that, but some things including this are starting to bother me. Agreed, a good person and great player regardless, but there’s more to it. Want a winning team, great, but that means being part of the solution in multiple ways…your play on the ice, commitment, not dragging out your contract and effecting other things, signing a reasonable contract…thus allowing management to build the best team possible, which contributes to winning and more so hopefully winning the cup. And, I do understand that no player is obligated to take a discount etc, but at the same time, if you handcuff management in regards to building a winning team because you got greedy, then that’s selfish and a little hypocritical given all you’ve talked about is being on a winning team. 

Cheers for that 88.

The other thing I think people have somehow just completely forgot about is that up until Xmas break, Petey was playing pretty shitty. Yes he was getting points, but he was a far cry from the Petey we are seeing now.

Lotto line gets put together and all of a sudden everyone's gushing over Petey and wanting to sign him to max value etc.

As much as I want him to be part of the solution, I'm hoping when petey does start negotiations, Allvin has a long memory and will also consider character.

If petey delays signing, if petey refuses to negotiate, if petey doesnt acknowledge that he has had extended times where he was sub par, these are red flags to me and should be considered during negotiations.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

24 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Cheers for that 88.

The other thing I think people have somehow just completely forgot about is that up until Xmas break, Petey was playing pretty shitty. Yes he was getting points, but he was a far cry from the Petey we are seeing now.

Lotto line gets put together and all of a sudden everyone's gushing over Petey and wanting to sign him to max value etc.

As much as I want him to be part of the solution, I'm hoping when petey does start negotiations, Allvin has a long memory and will also consider character.

If petey delays signing, if petey refuses to negotiate, if petey doesnt acknowledge that he has had extended times where he was sub par, these are red flags to me and should be considered during negotiations.

Spot on, on all of this! I don’t be negative or crap on him when isn’t playing his best, but it does get frustrating when he doesn’t play his best. Anyone that doesn’t see / acknowledge that that has happened multiple times (for whatever reason) during his career is prob wearing rose colored glasses. We can also acknowledge that players go through slumps, but it feels like it goes beyond that sometimes. And again, not hating on him…he’s one of my favourite players and I hope he’s here for a long time. 

I def agree that there’s things to watch for (currently / moving forward) through this process. How he deals with multiple aspects of the contract negotiations, including his commitment to this team / organization. Also, is he just trying to cash out, or does he understand that he has a lot of growth (re: his game) ahead of him, including consistency, hence taking a fair / responsible deal based on where he’s at / his history to this point. 

I know he puts a lot on his shoulders / takes responsibility for his own game, but does he 100% understand to what degree he plays a role (personal & team wise)?! All I keep hearing is he wants to play for a good / winning team, but his play & his contract play a huge role in what he’s wanting. It doesn’t just magically fall in your lap. 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 2

Cheers for that 88.

In addition to my other response…

The main thing for him is winning, which really couldn’t be going much better! But also, if you look at the big picture…..The President, The GM (& rest of the team), The Coaches, His Teammates, The moves they’ve made (drafting, trades & signings)…..what more could you ask for?! All of it is top notch! Whether sooner or later, that all seems like a winning formula. 

Edited by 88Canuck
  • Cheers 1

OK can someone explain this to me? His current contract expires after this season. So what does it mean "he has another year to sign"

He has another year to sign his big contract.  Pettersson could take his qualifying offer for next year and then sign the big one after that.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

Nope

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 88Canuck said:

Sorry, that's just naive thinking.

18 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Yeah, Petey holding up negotiations is really hurting this team long term.  Allvin can't move forward with plans because of it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, Petey holding up negotiations is really hurting this team long term.  Allvin can't move forward with plans because of it.

To start moving things along they should work out with Myers a cheap long term deal NOW and if that saves enough cap to work out a long term deal for Heronik and sign both now. Same with Zman, put him on the books for 6 years maybe at a bit lower cost, or advise him he wont be staying. Then lock down Joshua at a decent Cap.

Once these players have contracts at least other teams are willing to give us decent trades for them. But it also puts the pressure on Petey to do something so management has a clear budget to figure out.

36 minutes ago, Tusk said:

To start moving things along they should work out with Myers a cheap long term deal NOW and if that saves enough cap to work out a long term deal for Heronik and sign both now. Same with Zman, put him on the books for 6 years maybe at a bit lower cost, or advise him he wont be staying. Then lock down Joshua at a decent Cap.

Once these players have contracts at least other teams are willing to give us decent trades for them. But it also puts the pressure on Petey to do something so management has a clear budget to figure out.

The downside to a season like this is that significant changes will likely be coming in the off season and that could set them back a bit

• Huggy Bear 1

21 hours ago, HKSR said:

You have really become Debbie of this forum of late.

Whine and whine all day and all night.

Allvin got a few million options moving forward.

To say an intelligent GM can’t move forward just because of one contract is just silly.

You talk like Allvin is a moron like Benning that even couldn’t use the phone to call players.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

You have really become Debbie of this forum of late.

Whine and whine all day and all night.

Allvin got a few million options moving forward.

To say an intelligent GM can’t move forward just because of one contract is just silly.

You talk like Allvin is a moron like Benning that even couldn’t use the phone to call players.

That's not what I'm saying.  I'm saying his plans for building the best roster possible is frozen at the moment because the only thing he can do is work with 2 worst case scenarios... 

1. That it will cost much more than he hopes to re-sign Petey, or

2. That he will have to trade Petey

He can't exactly go out and make trades for guys that he knowingly will need raises, nor can he go out and commit our future cap on anything until he knows where Petey is gonna land with all this.

It's like trying to build a budget not knowing how much the quote on your most expensive purchase in years is gonna cost.  You absolutely need to keep all other discretionary spending in check while you wait for that quote to come in.

• Cheers 4

Just now, HKSR said:

That's not what I'm saying.  I'm saying his plans for building the best roster possible is frozen at the moment because the only thing he can do is work with 2 worst case scenarios... 

1. That it will cost much more than he hopes to re-sign Petey, or

2. That he will have to trade Petey

What? Only 2 worst case scenarios? 
Allvin has multiple variations to work with.

He already knows what it will cost to re-sign Petey. The half million that it might differ and the difference in term depends on other criterias. 

Just now, HKSR said:

He can't exactly go out and make trades for guys that he knowingly will need raises, nor can he go out and commit our future cap on anything until he knows where Petey is gonna land with all this.

Tell me how a half a mill can be of that magnitude? 
I think it’s more about term, 1, 3, 4, 6, 8 years and other conditions.

Just now, HKSR said:

It's like trying to build a budget not knowing how much the quote on your most expensive purchase in years is gonna cost.  You absolutely need to keep all other discretionary spending in check while you wait for that quote to come in.

You might have a point if Petey is asking for over 13. Personally I don’t believe that is a problem the first year of the contract. And around 12 is already what Allvin knows Petey will cost.

The only cheap version, one year, might be risky.