Hughes is finally getting the recognition he deserves

I thought he got snubbed a little bit last year in the voting but I never thought he was treated in a massively unfair way.  Guy is like prime Brian Leetch this year though and I'm glad the voters actually agree.  They've done Vancouver a little bit dirty in the past like Dale Tallon's rookie year and maybe Gary Smith's mega year, but the Eastern bias was a more real thing back then.

Actually last year they had him in 9th place for the post-season All Star teams.  That is pretty disrespectful.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1

"I knew if I could stay healthy, I was in a spot where I could have a year like this. But obviously you never know," Hughes said earlier this season. "The team success was my main goal coming in and I wasn't sure how that was going to go." 

And that is why he was the right choice for Captaincy.  His personal goals are secondary to his team's

goals.  Quite the outstanding young man.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim McMahon said:

Unless Makar stays hot. The NHL will keep dick riding him into another Norris. If the season ended now, 100% Hughes is the winner. Fingers crossed Hughes stays healthy ! 

Makar has not had as strong of a year as the one before.  Injuries have affected his play a bit, especially on defence.  He is still an electric player who frequently goes off for 3 points a night, but he's also made some notable defensive gaffes (rare as they are).  They're not going to rank him above Hughes this year.

image.png.515f06dadaa6e827ca3f48c5a0092693.png

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I thought he got snubbed a little bit last year in the voting but I never thought he was treated in a massively unfair way.  Guy is like prime Brian Leetch this year though and I'm glad the voters actually agree.  They've done Vancouver a little bit dirty in the past like Dale Tallon's rookie year and maybe Gary Smith's mega year, but the Eastern bias was a more real thing back then.

Actually last year they had him in 9th place for the post-season All Star teams.  That is pretty disrespectful.

Quinn Hughes went from being an elite transition playmaker last year to some kind of alien monster this year.  His play really started to pick up around this time last season, when Tocchet took over.  Before then, he was putting up points but the rest lagged behind.

A year ago:

image.png.d58ee50c0aee0d6b9fabe86d49ce81d2.png 

Versus:

image.png.b0a0ab53326ac1cb123a7f77a98ff4e9.png

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Honestly, I pretty firmly disagree with this. I think Hughes is in strong contention for 2nd, but I still have Makar pretty notably ahead of Hughes defensively, and he's probably better offensively by a little bit too.

Quite surprised to see that given Makar has the same amount of points in 4 fewer games. I think Makar is usually more dynamic up front and versatile in offence, he looks like a winger out there, whereas Quinn is a bit more localised to the blueline. Makar does have a real clutch/playoff factor as well which we're not sure about yet in Hughes.

I think Hughes is better defensively, we've seen Makar make some pretty dumb plays defensively and he does get caught out of position a lot. When you watch the Avs play they do a bit like the Lotto Line + Hughes - they have a forward back to rotate with Makar the same way we do with Hughes. 

The big decider, whether people like it or not, is that massive +33 of Hughes compared to Makar's +10.

There's always a prestige factor with the Norris, so because Makar's won it before he might get some more credit. To be honest though whoever leads the defencemen in scoring usually just wins it anyway.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Quite surprised to see that given Makar has the same amount of points in 4 fewer games. I think Makar is usually more dynamic up front and versatile in offence, he looks like a winger out there, whereas Quinn is a bit more localised to the blueline. Makar does have a real clutch/playoff factor as well which we're not sure about yet in Hughes.

I think Hughes is better defensively, we've seen Makar make some pretty dumb plays defensively and he does get caught out of position a lot. When you watch the Avs play they do a bit like the Lotto Line + Hughes - they have a forward back to rotate with Makar the same way we do with Hughes. 

The big decider, whether people like it or not, is that massive +33 of Hughes compared to Makar's +10.

There's always a prestige factor with the Norris, so because Makar's won it before he might get some more credit. To be honest though whoever leads the defencemen in scoring usually just wins it anyway.

Except if your name is Roman Josi.  That guy was robbed of a Norris.

1 hour ago, Devron said:

Makar will miss 20 games and still win. Which I don’t agree with. I think durability is an important part too. Right now I say they are neck and neck though 

I hate to say it but Makers going to win and deservingly so 

Hughes 11 G 41 A 52pts in 44 games

Maker 10 G 42 A 52pts in 40 games 

If Maker gets more pts in fewer games on a weaker team he is going to win and if you take the Canuck bias away that's a deserved win. If Maker played for the Canucks and had the Col record this fan base would be mad as hell if Hughes won  

Edited by Tocchet.A.Hockey.God

1 minute ago, Tocchet.A.Hockey.God said:

If Maker gets more pts in fewer games on a weaker team he is going to win and if you take the Canuck bias away that's a deserved. If Maker played for the Canucks and had the Col record this fan base would be mad as hell if Hughes won  

FA8A189A-BE8E-41D7-AC90-10069DD53AAC.gif.6ade2762cefb6503479a9e2984dffeb5.gif

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Tocchet.A.Hockey.God said:

If Maker gets more pts in fewer games on a weaker team he is going to win and if you take the Canuck bias away that's a deserved win. If Maker played for the Canucks and had the Col record this fan base would be mad as hell if Hughes won  

nah. voters are followers and lazy. the guy with the most hype wins and that's quinn this year. 

13 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

He is what 24 and has been playing on an awful team until this year. That doesn’t garner much attention. 

Except if you're someone who watches his game you could always see how special of a talent he is. And that continues to be a problem. Not Hughes not getting the proper accolades. It's that if the Eastern media aren't going to stay up to watch the Western teams play then the votes should be weighted. One of our votes is equal to 2 of theirs. 

It'll all come down to how these two defencemen finish the year, Hughes has had a big work-load and may bend or break later down the line, whereas we've seen Makar shoulder this weight and perform even better down the stretch. I hope Hughes keeps it going and even if they're within say 5 points of each other, Hughes takes it. His defensive numbers are better than Makar's and the hype train is really going in his favour because of such a strong start to the season. Also, he's a captain so not sure how much that leadership role plays into things. Otherwise the Avs and Canucks are really quite similar and Hughes/Makar's importance to their teams are very similar.

As for Hart consideration I think he deserves it but it's hard to say that when you've got Miller, Petey and Brock all in the top scoring. McDavid or Kucherov are going to walk away with that one.

4 hours ago, Tocchet.A.Hockey.God said:

The sad part of all of this is that there is a good chance not a single Canucks player gets a trophy. Hughes is the closest. Miller maybe for the Selke 

The only guarantee is Tocchet for the Jack Adams 

I'm not sure Tocchet is actually a lock. Absolutely he will have heavy consideration and he should pretty easily be a finalist. However, Bowness should also receive a decent amount of consideration and honestly what Torts has done with a Philly team that doesn't have a single elite player on it is really impressive.