The 2023-24 Canucks vs the 2010-11 Canucks

No, I'm not asking about which team would win.  I'm just curious how they stack up at this point in the season...

After Game 47:

Records:

2023-24 Canucks -- 32-11-4 = 68 points

2010-11 Canucks -- 29-10-8 = 66 points

Goals For:

2023-24 Canucks -- 178 GF

2010-11 Canucks -- 153 GF

Goals Against:

2023-24 Canucks -- 119 GA

2010-11 Canucks -- 115 GA

Longest Win Streak:

2023-24 Canucks -- 5 Games

2010-11 Canucks -- 8 Games

Longest Losing Streak:

2023-24 Canucks -- 2 Games

2010-11 Canucks -- 4 Games

Impressive eh?  Enjoy the ride folks.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

And I know we've done this before as well...compare player for player (although we have a bit of a different mix):

Lou = Demko (obviously)

Schneids > DeSmith

Hank (104pts) = Petey

Dank (41 goals) > BB

Kesler (73pts) < JT

Samuelsson (50pts) = Kuzy

Ehrhoff (50pts +19) <<< QH43

Burrows (48pts / 77PIM) ~ maybe Joshua? (no real equivalent)

Raymond (39pts) = Garland

Edler (33pts / +13) = Hronek

Malhotra (30pts) ~ Lafferty? (Manny better on faceoffs obviously)

Hansen = Hoglander

Torres...don't think we have a Torres right now

Hamhuis, Bieksa, Salo ~ Myers, Soucy, Zadorev etc

Higgins, Glass, Tambellini ~ Blueger, Suter, Aman etc

Honestly, with the exception of Torres and maybe a couple of iffy comparisons, the 2 teams are pretty close in composition and abilities.

As of now, the 2023-24 record probably looks more impressive. However, although I'm unsure of what the numbers were at 47 games, the 2010-11 team finished 3rd in the NHL in PK and 1st on the PP, so their special teams were certainly superior to ours by the end.

Going forward, I suspect the 2023-24 team might fall short in comparison. The 2010-11 team had a deeper defensive core, but I'd argue the top of the line talent in Hughes and even our top forwards (heresy?) are better. There's a good case Petey and Miller are better than the twins at their peaks.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

As of now, the 2023-24 record probably looks more impressive. However, although I'm unsure of what the numbers were at 47 games, the 2010-11 team finished 3rd in the NHL in PK and 1st on the PP, so their special teams were certainly superior to ours by the end.

Going forward, I suspect the 2023-24 team might fall short in comparison. The 2010-11 team had a deeper defensive core, but I'd argue the top of the line talent in Hughes and even our top forwards (heresy?) are better. There's a good case Petey and Miller are better than the twins at their peaks.

and the PK was almost first too.  They blew that stat in the last couple games.  If my memory still works. 

That team also had some good playoff experience.  

10 hours ago, BCNeil said:

and the PK was almost first too.  They blew that stat in the last couple games.  If my memory still works. 

That team also had some good playoff experience.  

HUGE factor in "slaying the dragon" (playoff calmness through the lineup)...I'd say our modern day equivalent might be Vegas? They seem to have our number more often than we have theirs. Per my player comparisons above then (Burrows over Chicago) that means Dakota will get the OT series winner vs. Vegas in the playoffs? Wouldn't that be something...

• Cheers 1

This team reminds me of the 92-93 team too.   We were 4th in offense, and 5th in defense as a team.    Also our special teams, weren't that special, so like this team, did most of our damage 5 x 5.    101 points back then, is like 110 plus now.   A fantastic season.   When your 3C is scoring close to 40 goals ... then well, that's the difference between 93-94 right there, was a bigger distraction then Horvat, and after Bure, a pretty heart wrenching thing to lose your 3rd overall 6'3" future second line center who just was breaking out.    Nedved was a heck of a player.   A lot better than Kuzmenko.  

Id bet compared to our league winning PP in 2010-2011, that this teams percentage, will line up pretty close to that.   It was less then 25% if memory serves.   Just better ones out there right now.   That's still good enough to do some damage.     PK is much improved, but not nearly as good as 2011.  

We also had a couple fantastic seasons with the WCE.    Again 100-103 points back then, add 8-12 for loser points.  Look at how many Boston has already .... yikes.    90 points used to be a solid season.    Now it doesn't get you into the show.    So we could also view this season, through a lens comparing those years as well.  

As far as core players go, only Miller is in the same age range as 2011 as well...Nice right?   EP just turned 25 a few months ago...how old was Ronning in 92/93?   Nedved, Bure and Linden were also young.  We had a plethora of vets too, Courtnall, Adams, Babych etc.    Young goalie,  when on one of the best in the league.  

Biggest difference is cap era.   And will we be able to keep most of this team together one more season and beyond.    It will take a pretty enormous commitment from EP.   And Allvin will need to sharpen his pencil.     MG managed to keep it mostly together under difficult circumstances,  2010-2011 though, age wise, is more like 2026-2027  this current team, as in when QH's and EP are in their late 20's.     Or 92/93.    If Allvin can lock them all in clauses and all, we should have several cracks at the bat.   

Don't get many chances.   Think we've got a shot this year and next.    Then we'd have to do some CHI syle gymnastics, and maybe get another shot as cap goes up, in the latter part of the 2020's.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

I don't see this team as similar to any of the Canucks teams from 2001 to now, which is not a bad thing.

The wce teams needing better defence, goaltending and top line scoring in key moments. When the toughness came, they and clouts folded. The AV teams needed top line and secondary scoring and goaltending in key moments. They were able to absorb waves of pressure and counterattack but we couldn't score against Boston and luo collapsed in the finals.

This team has secondary scoring when pettey is firing on the second line, it has good defence and goaltending that seems to get better in big moments.

Maybe that's what so worrying about this team, if they all play to their strengths then they are better than any of the past ones over the past 20-odd years. I worry when i see our offence dry up and powerplay go cold as that's killed us in the past (and the lack of scoring killed tocchets former teams when he was head coach).  I hope tocchet can adapt and find a different way to reignite two lines (even if that means backing off) as if we had 2 scoring lines plus the no name peaky bluegers plus everything else, well that would be the best team we've ever had and they could go to where no Canucks team has gone before...

Edited by OldFaithfulcap
c