[Speculation] Jiricek unhappy in Columbus

First round pick David Jiricek sounds off on his own team.

The first round pick is not at all happy with how he is being treated by his organization.

The Columbus Blue Jackets may have a real problem on their hands.

Former first round pick (6th overall) at the 2022 National Hockey League Entry Draft, defenseman David Jiricek, recently had some things to say about the way his development has gone in the NHL and there weren't a lot of positives to take away from his comments.

Jiricek made it clear that he feels other players at his level have been given far more opportunity than what he has received, and that has seemingly become a source of frustration for the young defenseman.

"I played good hockey in the NHL. I’m an NHL player right now," said Jiricek. "That’s my opinion, that I should be in the NHL right now. I see guys from the same draft, like Simon Nemec and Korchinski… they get a chance on the power play."

It sounds like Jiricek hasn't exactly done himself any favors however, with the 20 year old admitting that he directly contradicted the assessment of his coaches.

“They told me the last game was not good enough for me. I told them I don’t think so, but that’s your opinion…"

More from Jiricek: “The guys here in Cleveland are awesome. The coaches are awesome. It’s fun to be here now, because there’s a lot of winning. There’s a good energy. But still … this is not what I want, right?”

Whether or not Jiricek will attempt to force a move if things continue to trend the wrong way remains to be seen, but the fact that the Blue Jackets are once again having issues with one of their high end draft picks does not bode well for the franchise.

Jonathan Larrivee

Published 3 hours ago

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/first-round-pick-david-jiricek-sounds-off-on-his-own-team

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Jim Tim said:

This is the guy we should be allllll over should he actually become available. He's a future top pairing 2-way stud that would look insane next to Hughes.

Not if it means giving up a whole lot. We have Willander who is our next right D stud that will be beside Hughes in 2 years. 

Go Canucks 

• Huggy Bear 1

Did anyone catch any footage of the game in question where his coaches said he wasn't good enough?
I'm curious if he's entitled in a Dubois kind of way, coasting out there (in which case stay away) or if it's some ego like a Jared McCann (where he felt like he was good enough, and he did/ does in fact have the talent).  I don't think it's necessarily bad for reports to come out saying they want ice time, granted that he can prove that he's worth getting more.  He's at 9 points in 36 games, with an ice-time high of 21:01 (avg. 14 minutes).  If he's too impatient to marinate more down there and wants to demand to come up then it might be worth reconsidering.  Nemec has 13 points in 26 games and is a 20 minute/ game player, while Korchinski (whom he really shouldn't envy, since Chicago has nothing besides Seth Jones and they kind of have to play him) is looking like about as productive as Jiricek himself though less of a two-way force.  

If he is available though, I'd hope they throw the 1st and the Russian forwards (Podkolzin, Kuzmenko) at them.  We don't really have a top-end C that we can trade to them and they do have a bunch of wingers though, so it might have to be futures-heavy.  Perhaps Lekkerimaki straight-up?  (Someone like Gauthier got Drysdale and a high pick, so blue-chip wing for disgruntled but skilled blue-chip D makes sense IMO).

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Jiricek is a stud.  He was my #1 choice in the 2022 draft.  Columbus is a Mickey Mouse team with a horrible coach and a horrible GM who should have been fired years ago.  Jiricek is obviously frustrated at playing for such a shit organization.  

Imagine being a 20 year old stud and watching two plugs like Peeke and Gudbranson playing ahead of you?  I would be frustrated too.  

Allvin needs to be all over this.  You can never have enough RHD.  If we acquired Jiricek we could even trade Hronek instead of paying him $7.5 million a year.  Jiricek will be a legit top paring Dman.  Jiricek and Willander will anchor our right hand side for the next 15 years…

Yes and with EPD we would have an awesome 4 top D for years.By the time they get big money OEL's deal will be done.

Alvin should be all over this.

Edited by cripplereh
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Jiricek is a stud.  He was my #1 choice in the 2022 draft.  Columbus is a Mickey Mouse team with a horrible coach and a horrible GM who should have been fired years ago.  Jiricek is obviously frustrated at playing for such a shit organization.  

Imagine being a 20 year old stud and watching two plugs like Peeke and Gudbranson playing ahead of you?  I would be frustrated too.  

Allvin needs to be all over this.  You can never have enough RHD.  If we acquired Jiricek we could even trade Hronek instead of paying him $7.5 million a year.  Jiricek will be a legit top paring Dman.  Jiricek and Willander will anchor our right hand side for the next 15 years…

What would a potential trade look like?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

That easily gets beaten by a number of teams 

Yes but it's a start and we don't know what they are asking.Every team starts small.But I do agree with more.

I think if we do something big like this then we need to get a hard nosed forward going into the playoffs.We have enough scoring.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, J-23 said:

What would a potential trade look like?

If Hronek plays hardball in the summer, then he could be a chip that we use in a trade.  If Hronek wants $8 million+ then I think he gets traded.  So we can trade him and use those assets plus our 2024 1st to get Jiricek.  I’d even throw Hunter B into the deal.  Then we’d have Jiricek and Willander on the right side for the next 15 years…

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

lol these kids who say they should be getting topline minutes with 0 achievements usually doesn't pan out well. 20 year old, having played only half a season in the NHL, thinks he knows better than the coach how he can be deployed, just lol. 

To me it’s just another case of a prospect looking out for their own career and it’s warranted with how CBJ has performed and been handled as of late. The Babcock bullshit would have been enough for me to strongly consider my future as a pro athlete with that franchise, let alone the futility and influx of high value contracts which will occupy valuable TOI and opportunity. Just a shit show for the foreseeable future and the burden of that can sink burgeoning careers.

Imho, Jiricek will get his chance for permanency next year if he just bides time. Lot of work to do to clean up CBJ and if Kek can’t untangle the mess he’s made I can envision him replaced by end of season 

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Do we flip Willander for him?  

Because that would be the ask. 

I’d make a move for him *last* year but not sure we’re in a position now to sell what few futures we have on a guy who will take awhile.

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

To me it’s just another case of a prospect looking out for their own career( and it’s warranted with how CBJ has performed and been handled as of late. The Babcock bullshit would have been enough for me to strongly consider my future as a pro athlete with that franchise, let alone the futility and influx of high value contracts which will occupy valuable TOI and opportunity. Just a shit show for the foreseeable future.

Imho, Jiricek will get his chance for permanencynext year if he just bides time. Lot of work to do to clean up CBJ and if Kek can’t untangle the mess he’s made I can envision him replaced by end of season 

That's why our GM should be all over this as young players don't come to market that often.

Improves us now and for years to come.Jiricek would be so happy coming to a contender.

• Like 1