Constant Disrespect for Canucks Players is Annoying as F

Here is TSN's top 25 list at the All Star Break:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/nathan-mackinnon-usurps-connor-mcdavid-in-tsn-s-mid-season-player-ranking-1.2069444

So 2 things stand out to me.  Both related to the Canucks.

1.  Cale Makar over Quinn Hughes

This has been talked about all season long, and @Miss Korea can back it up with numbers as well.  THIS SEASON, Quinn Hughes is the superior defenceman and player.  There should be no doubts about it, but I guess I shouldn't expect any different from the Toronto Sports Network and Toronto biased media personalities. 

2. JT Miller gets absolutely no respect

How does the league's 4th highest scorer, who wins 54% of his faceoffs (5th most FO wins in the entire NHL), kills penalties, basically does it all finish at 12th on the list?  Disrespected all the time.  Honestly, I think if their media actually followed the Canucks closer, they'd realize JT Miller should be ahead of Elias Pettersson. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 2

I'm still not sold on Hughes over Makar, but I 1000% agree on Miller. When Petey's hot, he's probably slightly better than Miller, but Miller is far more consistent and reliable. If they were the same age, I'd take Miller over Petey, which would probably shock a lot of fans outside of Vancouver.

He's a superstar, yet I bet if you asked eastern fans to rank our best players, most would have him at #4 behind Hughes, Demko, and Petey. I'd say there's a case he's our 2nd best player behind Hughes, though Demko is hard to beat.

Mind boggling to think that a 100-point player could be our 4th best player.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, HKSR said:

How does the league's 4th highest scorer, who wins 54% of his faceoffs (5th most FO wins in the entire NHL), kills penalties, basically does it all finish at 12th on the list?  Disrespected all the time.  Honestly, I think if their media actually followed the Canucks closer, they'd realize JT Miller should be ahead of Elias Pettersson. 

Most Canuck games are past their bedtimes.

• Cheers 1

I like all the points of view here and many are accurate, but Hughes Petey and Demko look about right.

I think the world of JT as a hockey player, and number 12 is really good plus last year any fan of Van would have said "Hell Yeah" to that placing.

It's just that it has taken 3 teams and and some conflict to get JT to this level which I really admire that is some tough sledding.

Petey doing what he is doing at age 25 and he is still going to fill out and I think will get better that may be why not as much love for JT

But hey 4 in the top 20 3 forwards in the top 12 wow, smile Fan Fans Smile. 😃

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Hughes and Makar are 5-6, one could argue that Hughes has been better this season but Makar's overall career has been more impressive. Sports media is biased and influenced by a number of factors, but at the end of the day Hughes was still ranked six. That's nothing to sniff at. 

Pettersson is a bigger star leaguewide than Miller, he simply is. He's younger, he's easier to sell in the media, and he's likelier to keep it going over the longer term.  But Miller was still ranked 12 across the league instead of 10. That's not disrespect, that's quibbling imo. 

They even had Demko ranked 18. That's four Canucks in the top 20 and the Canucks are being disrespected? By a TSN outlet that doesn't usually do the Canucks any favours? We almost have three players in the top 10, isn't that recognition enough? I could care less whether the numbers are a little off here and there, lists are subjective. 

The whole point of this article is ranking.  So unless the Canucks are completely left off the list, there can be no disrespect?  Miller as the 4th leading scorer in the league but ranked 12th is an obvious one.

• Cheers 1

Who cares, lots of good players in the league. Everyone's top 25 would be different. Totally subjective. I couldn't even do one myself. No disrespect at all imo. Shouldn't get your panties in a bunch over nothing.

We have two guys in the top 10. That's pretty decent. Oh geez I didn't even realize JT is number 12 after your comment. Huge noting burger ... lol 3 guys in the top 12 and you're complaining?

Seems like a whole lot of respect to me.

Edit: lol plus Demko at 18 I notice too ... c'mon man ... ridiculous quibbling 

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

The whole point of this article is ranking.  So unless the Canucks are completely left off the list, there can be no disrespect?  Miller as the 4th leading scorer in the league but ranked 12th is an obvious one.

It just seems like you're quibbling. Canucks players have been getting their flowers thus far, this list demonstrates that. 

Four players in the top twenty by a Toronto outlet and it's all but, but, but, the order isn't exactly right (in your subjective opinion).

Go back a season and most Canucks fans would probably be thrilled with such rankings. 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

It just seems like you're quibbling. Canucks players have been getting their flowers thus far, this list demonstrates that. 

Four players in the top twenty by a Toronto outlet and it's all but, but, but, the order isn't exactly right (in your subjective opinion).

Go back a season and most Canucks fans would probably be thrilled with such rankings. 

Except this season isn't last season.  This season is this season, and this ranking is based on this season.  

What if Marner was ranked ahead of Mcdavid? Is that disrespectful? Or is it quibbling?  

Just now, HKSR said:

Except this season isn't last season.  This season is this season, and this ranking is based on this season.  

What if Marner was ranked ahead of Mcdavid? Is that disrespectful? Or is it quibbling?  

Nah, that wouldn't be disrespectful, it'd simply be a bit of a weird taking considering Marner's put up 53 points to McDavid's 67. 

A difference of two spots isn't a snub for Miller. Considering the source, they ranked the Canucks players pretty fairly. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Nah, that wouldn't be disrespectful, it'd simply be a bit of a weird taking considering Marner's put up 53 points to McDavid's 67. 

A difference of two spots isn't a snub for Miller. Considering the source, they ranked the Canucks players pretty fairly. 

Meh, I disagree.  When it's all about ranking players, the ranking matters.  Imagine ranking the top 5 Canucks as:

1. Hughes

2. Demko

3. Boeser

4. Petey

5. Miller

Doesn't matter... just quibbling.  They're the 5 best players on the Canucks.  Order doesn't matter.  

3 minutes ago, Caboose said:

Who in ranks 1-11 do you displace for Miller.

Any argument that there's a snub should realistically include where you think the player should be. I wouldn't take out any of those guys, Miller at 12 seems fine.

Hellebuyck.  If Demko is 18, I find it hard to see Hellebuyck 9 spots higher.

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The author's last name is Dryden, he might have a goalie bias. Hellebuyck and Demko have been outstanding hard to place them in these kind of lists though as value to their teams has been extremely high. 

So you create a thread, drawing attention and more views to an article, to complain about Miller getting "absolutely no respect" because he wasn't ranked higher than a goalie who plays a very different position.

This is the type of thread that give Canucks fans a bad look.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

This has to be the biggest nit-pick I've seen on here in a while. Hellebuyck is going to win the Vezina this year you should probably come to terms with that.

• Like 1

Personally I rub my hands together in glee whenever I see some Eastern media based bias downplaying the Canucks.  If some of that attitude rubs off on Eastern teams, great.  If they don't take us as any threat, that works for me, and the team I'd think

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Caboose said:

This has to be the biggest nit-pick I've seen on here in a while. Hellebuyck is going to win the Vezina this year you should probably come to terms with that.

Nitpick?

Hellebuyck:  23 Wins, 2.20 GAA, 0.924 SV%, 1017 SA, 2 Shutouts

Demko:  26 Wins, 2.44 GAA, 0.920 SV%, 1061 SA, 5 Shutouts

So that makes Hellebuyck 9th in ranking vs 18th for Demko?  They should be WAY closer in the ranking.