[Rumour] Flyers seeking a 1st for Walker

1 minute ago, canucks curse said:

if a team was really willing to give a 1st the trade would have been done already 

You say that, but there were folks around here saying Monahan wouldn't fetch a 1st too. 

Trade deadline is a ways away, lot could change between now and then, all it'd take is a few top teams getting D injuries. If the Flames extend Hanifin instead of flipping him that'll also shift things, he's the biggest D fish out there despite the smoke around Tanev. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Limited options out there for D. 

Tanev, maybe Hanifin, maybe Chychrun, maybe Provorov, there's a drop off after that. 

Seeler, Broberg, Peeke, Boqvist, maybe DeAngelo, maybe Barrie. Lyubuskin. Johnson, maybe Jokijarju. Edmundson.

Probably missing some names, but limited options given how many teams are still in the playoff hunt in both conferences.

Maybe a few teams fold and more names become available, maybe it ends up being a sellers market. 

If Calgary and Ottawa retain Hanifin/Chychrun the pickings get slimmer. Solid chance they do, Calgary seems more set on retooling than rebuilding and Ottawa wants to be competitive. 

Edited by Coconuts

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Limited options out there for D. 

Tanev, maybe Hanifin, maybe Chychrun, maybe Provorov, there's a drop off after that. 

Seeler, Broberg, Peeke, Boqvist, maybe DeAngelo, maybe Barrie. Lyubuskin. Johnson, maybe Jokijarju. Edmundson.

Probably missing some names, but limited options given how many teams are still in the playoff hunt in both conferences.

Maybe a few teams fold and more names become available, maybe it ends up being a sellers market. 

I would love Edmundson

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I would love Edmundson

He's intriguing given he's on a retained salary contract. 1.75M cap hit, big rugged D. 30 year-old. 

He could shake loose if the Caps throw in the towel, there'd be lots of interest given his cap hit if they do. He's averaging just over 16 minutes a game thus far, would probably fit nicely on a playoff team's bottom pairing as a 5D who could potentially play higher. 

Could probably get the Caps a 2nd. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Odjickwillkillyou said:

I think I recall Friedge saying that the Flyers told one team that they would package Walker and Seeler together for a 1st, but it was turned down. I believe it was the Laffs who really do not have draft capital. 

Wouldn't surprise me. 

Walker's pretty much playing top four minutes though, he's averaging between 19.5 minutes a night thus far on a Philly team that's actually been quite solid defensively (11th goals allowed, 4th SOG allowed, 2nd PK). 

It's Philly's offensive game and lack of discipline that hurts them, outside of their shots on goal, which ranks 4th. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Odjickwillkillyou said:

I think I recall Friedge saying that the Flyers told one team that they would package Walker and Seeler together for a 1st, but it was turned down. I believe it was the Laffs who really do not have draft capital. 

Years of thinking 4 top forwards are all you need.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Wouldn't surprise me. 

Walker's pretty much playing top four minutes though, he's averaging between 19.5 minutes a night thus far on a Philly team that's actually been quite solid defensively (11th goals allowed, 4th SOG allowed, 2nd PK). 

It's Philly's offensive game and lack of discipline that hurts them, outside of their shots on goal, which ranks 4th. 

Walker's minutes have been reduced since the early part of December and have been reduced further since the Flyers acquired Jamie Drysdale. Walker is averaging just under 17 minutes per game over his last 16 games.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, canucks curse said:

if a team was really willing to give a 1st the trade would have been done already 

How do you figure? Many ways that wouldn't be true, like if someone got injured between now and the deadline, or if they are still assessing to see if they have a chance and want to pony up.

I wonder if it's a combo of there being very few good D men on the market, and the fact that this is a slightly weaker draft by all the reports I've read, so what would normally be an ask for a 2nd is now a 1st. 

12 minutes ago, boziffous said:

Walker's minutes have been reduced since the early part of December and have been reduced further since the Flyers acquired Jamie Drysdale. Walker is averaging just under 17 minutes per game over his last 16 games.

Perhaps, I was speaking to his season average. He's probably still viewed as top 4D though on the market, and as I pointed out earlier there are limited options available as far as defensemen go. There's quite a drop off after a few marquee names, two of which may not even be available in Hanifin and Chychrun. 

43 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Perhaps, I was speaking to his season average. He's probably still viewed as top 4D though on the market, and as I pointed out earlier there are limited options available as far as defensemen go. There's quite a drop off after a few marquee names, two of which may not even be available in Hanifin and Chychrun. 

Yeah, his season average is still close to 20 minutes as he was averaging close to 21:30 for the season through early December. In his 2nd and 3rd year with LA, when I saw quite a few of his games, he looked like a pretty decent 2 way d. I'm guessing Philly will be able to get a 2nd rd pick for him. If the Flyers get a first for him it'll probably be because a team missed out on the marquee d names and is desperate.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Hammertime said:

LOL everybody want's a first. 1st for Tanev, 1st for Walker, 1st for Nic freaking Dowd, prices are insane. I'm glad we got our guy. if we do anything else I hope it's minor. 

Given the asking price for Tanev was reportedly another 1st as you've said, along with the notion that we backed out of such a deal when making the Lindholm trade, I have a feeling we're not willing to give up another 1st at least, at least not now.

Walker is small and mediocre at doing what Hughes and Hronek already do for us at an elite level.  I doubt Allvin would give up a 3rd for him at this point.  He is not what we need, but what do I know.  Tyler Myers is way bigger and has 1 more point in 1 less game and a much better +/-.  Nobody would give up a 1st for Myers.

prices will drop as the gms off those teams wanting a first for mediocre players realize they won't get it

obviously lindholm was going to get a 1st

monahan got one because he was one of the only centres left

prices will drop like a rock soon enough

I say we just pick up Seeler as depth. A solid bottom pair guy who can skate and is mean. Probably a top middleweight in the league when it comes to fighting. I would consider him an upgrade on Juulsen & Friedman but without a massive price tag. Does a 3rd rounder get it done? Maybe 3rd + C prospect?

Edited by Leithal