[Speculation] Pre-TDL Thread - Petey to Re-Sign and Canucks Scouting Pittsburgh/Duhaime

What do we do next?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. What's our Next Acquisition?

• Top 6 W to Mooch off Petey
    • Middle 6 Swiss-Army Knife
    • Bottom Six Grinder
    • #3/4 Defenseman
    • #6/7/8 Defenseman
    • Goaltending Depth
    • Other (Answer Below)
  2. 2. Who's more likely to be dealt in a TDL deal?

• Podkolzin (young asset, but no chemistry lost)
    • Mikheyev (underperforming potential cap casualty, but could disrupt chemistry)
  3. 3. Does Zadorov get re-signed?

• Yes (Short term, 6+ Million AAV)
    • Yes (Long term, 4-5 Million AAV)
    • No

Hi y'all! 

The last thread became the Lindholm deal so I figured I should get a new one going. Important news, Jimmy Rutherford dropped another bomb tonight and given the last time he "hinted" at making a deal we got EL23, I'm curious what our next target is. 

So what do you think? Are we looking at dealing more futures or is this more of a hockey trade? What's our post TDL lineup looking like?

Added some polls too to generate discussion 🙂 

• Like 1

My expected lineup - 

Mikheyev - Petey - Lindholm

Greenway - Miller - Boeser 

Joshua - Bleuger - Garland 

Hoglander - Suter - Lafferty/PDG 

Hughes - Hronek 

Zadorov - Cole 

Soucy - Myers 

Juulsen

Demko 

DeSmith

My ideal lineup - 

Guentzel - Petey - Lindholm 

Toropchenko/Hoglander - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander/Toropchenko - Suter - Duhaime

Hughes - Hronek 

Zadorov - Cole 

Soucy - Myers 

Juulsen, Jon Merrill-type depth defender 

Edit: I see Kessel as a call-up/black ace option, unsure if he's going to play games down the stretch unless there are injuries.

Edited by Honkin Hronek

9 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

At this point, I would be surprised if we're not signing Kessel. Practicing in Abby seems to strongly suggest it.

At this point, something would have to go wrong for Kessel to not get signed by us.  We have a fully healthy forward core and we're still trying to sign him.  Maybe if he gets completely outskated in practice?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I could see us going after Erik Johnson as a 6/7 right shot Dman. He’s won a cup with Colorado. 

Rutherford also mentioned potentially calling up Podkolzin for the playoffs. Even Bains could be an option. I like both of them better than PDG. 

Most likely Kessel makes the team. They are saying he could stay in Abby until the playoffs. Which is what I speculated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

At this point, I would be surprised if we're not signing Kessel. Practicing in Abby seems to strongly suggest it.

I don't know, but I saw video that Jeff Paterson posted and let's just say Phil looked less than impressive. If he's been working out, it must not have been very intense.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Honkin Hronek said:

My expected lineup - 

Mikheyev - Petey - Lindholm

Greenway - Miller - Boeser 

Hoglander - Suter - Lafferty/PDG 

Hughes - Hronek 

Zadorov - Cole 

Soucy - Myers 

Juulsen

Demko 

DeSmith

My ideal lineup - 

Guentzel - Petey - Lindholm 

Toropchenko/Hoglander - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander/Toropchenko - Suter - Duhaime

Hughes - Hronek 

Zadorov - Cole 

Soucy - Myers 

Juulsen, Jon Merrill-type depth defender 

Edit: I see Kessel as a call-up/black ace option, unsure if he's going to play games down the stretch unless there are injuries.

What did you offer on NHL24 from the Canucks to acquire these players though? 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

There was zero context for that video....,..click bait, imo

But you saw the video. So you took the bait? Just fooling with you, Stawns. You're right that without more context it shouldn't be indicative of anything more than an out of breath guy gliding around the ice. But I think there's enough there to at least urge caution.

Whomever we are adding at this point it is someone JR PA and RT know really well because they wouldn’t take a chance with an unknown personality atvtuis point with our seemingly decent chemistry 

so who do they all know who is still good?

msybe it’s just Kessel ?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

?Whomever we are adding at this point it is someone JR PA and RT know really well because they wouldn’t take a chance with an unknown personality atvtuis point with our seemingly decent chemistry 

so who do they all know who is still good?

msybe it’s just Kessel ?

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I could see us going after Erik Johnson as a 6/7 right shot Dman. He’s won a cup with Colorado. 

Rutherford also mentioned potentially calling up Podkolzin for the playoffs. Even Bains could be an option. I like both of them better than PDG. 

Most likely Kessel makes the team. They are saying he could stay in Abby until the playoffs. Which is what I speculated. 

You're proposing three ideas here: take on Johnson, promote Pods/Bains ahead of PDG, and keep Kessel in Abbotsford. 

Erik Johnson is a solid bottom-pairing defenceman but I'd rather see Soucy/Zadorov/Juulsen all play ahead of him.  We'd need someone who's better than at least two of those guys.  Someone like Tanev would obviously be better than Johnson, while someone like... Peeke or Boqvist... would be worse than Johnson.

For Podkolzin and Bains to have any real shot at playing in the postseason, they really need to play a couple of regular season games first.  It'll be a good opportunity for Tocchet and the team to assess where those two players are at right now and whether or not they fit into the current system.  They are putting in good work in Abbotsford right now but that's a big jump from AHL regular season to NHL playoffs.  We're not talking about rookie dynamos like Luke Hughes or Cale Makar here.

As for Kessel, what you're suggesting seems impossible.  Since he's an unrestricted free agent, he must be signed before the deadline if he wants to participate in the playoffs.  And if he's signed, he'd have to clear waivers in order to play in Abbotsford.  We are still 3 weeks away from the deadline, so this gives Kessel an opportunity to maybe sign a PTO contract and get some AHL games under his belt.  From there management can decide whether or not he looks good and ready to play.  This is exactly what Jesse Puljujärvi did, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Nick Bonino doing this too.  But they must sign before the deadline and they must play for the NHL team or risk getting claimed on waivers.

• Cheers 2

Only problem I see is if Kessel gets signed and we want another D we will have to lose a roster player to make cap room.

I say go for it as this season could be the one so might as well go for it.

We made a good trade , might get Kessel if he looks good and one more D should be enough.

Only if hing I can add is if Kessel doesn't fit try get get a big body like Maroon on the team.

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

You're proposing three ideas here: take on Johnson, promote Pods/Bains ahead of PDG, and keep Kessel in Abbotsford. 

Erik Johnson is a solid bottom-pairing defenceman but I'd rather see Soucy/Zadorov/Juulsen all play ahead of him.  We'd need someone who's better than at least two of those guys.  Someone like Tanev would obviously be better than Johnson, while someone like... Peeke or Boqvist... would be worse than Johnson.

For Podkolzin and Bains to have any real shot at playing in the postseason, they really need to play a couple of regular season games first.  It'll be a good opportunity for Tocchet and the team to assess where those two players are at right now and whether or not they fit into the current system.  They are putting in good work in Abbotsford right now but that's a big jump from AHL regular season to NHL playoffs.  We're not talking about rookie dynamos like Luke Hughes or Cale Makar here.

As for Kessel, what you're suggesting seems impossible.  Since he's an unrestricted free agent, he must be signed before the deadline if he wants to participate in the playoffs.  And if he's signed, he'd have to clear waivers in order to play in Abbotsford.  We are still 3 weeks away from the deadline, so this gives Kessel an opportunity to maybe sign a PTO contract and get some AHL games under his belt.  From there management can decide whether or not he looks good and ready to play.  This is exactly what Jesse Puljujärvi did, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Nick Bonino doing this too.  But they must sign before the deadline and they must play for the NHL team or risk getting claimed on waivers.

Calgary wants a 1st for Tanev, especially if they are retaining.  So he is out of the question.  Johnson will be much cheaper, maybe a b prospect and a late pick.  Buffalo would still have to retain.  Johnson would be a 6/7 Dman, but he could also be our 8 Dman as well, replacing Freidman.  Tocchet may not want to play a lefty on the right side in the playoffs, so Soucy might be the odd man out if he is not 100% healthy and then it's between Juulsen and Johnson for the 6 spot.

I could see one of Podkolzin or Bains up to the big club.  Especially if there are injuries.  Wasn't sure about Kessel, but if he does need to sign an NHL contract by March 8, then PDG definitely will be waived.  And then Podkolzin/Bains probably don't get a call up unless there are injuries...

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Provost said:

We have cap money burning a hole in our pocket.  Expect a gritty middle six forward, another veteran D, and maybe Kessel close to the deadline.

I know from the past few months that JR and Allvin clearly read my posts and follow my suggestions 🧐

Tuch/Greenway and Tanev/Erik Johnson kind of pick ups at higher and lower ends depending on prices at 50% retained and we give back some mid tier prospects and a 2nd round pick.

What Cap money? you mean if Soucy makes 10 games missed and qualifies for LTIR?

9 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

I don't know, but I saw video that Jeff Paterson posted and let's just say Phil looked less than impressive. If he's been working out, it must not have been very intense.

I saw the video - looked just like Kessel skating off in Toronto after he'd made a great rush, not scored, now he's tired and meandering to the bench while the opposition is on a 3 on 1 leading to a goal 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

PTO in Abby until TDL, conditioning stint after, then 12/13 F until the end of the year... Rest some guys the last couple weeks, give him some games.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, canucks curse said:

? Brandon and Chris tanev ?

4 hours ago, Zombieksa said:

you and me should be best friends.

I will accept a Brandon/Chris duo or a Chris and Bjugstad, Greenway etc