[Report] Tanner Pearson officially activated from LTIR

RWJC

Injury Notes: Pearson, Savoie, Rasmussen

September 19th, 2023 at 10:00am CST • By Ethan Hetu

CapFriendly has reported that the Vancouver Canucks have officially activated veteran forward Tanner Pearson off of long-term injured reserve. In their post on X, CapFriendly writes: “This is significant because it means that he is no longer considered an LTI candidate, and tentatively leaves the club $1,709,167 over the cap” even if they place defenseman Tucker Poolman on LTIR.

The team could still be cap compliant to start the season, but to do so they would need to carry fewer than the maximum of 23 players on their active roster. Pearson, 31, is making $3.25MM against the cap and played just 14 games last season, scoring five points.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/09/injury-notes-pearson-savoie-rasmussen.html#ref=home

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

Happy for him and honestly think he will fit great in Tocc's system along with wanting to prove he still has something left. This could be a HUGE addition for us without even losing an asset in a deal. Also makes one of our similarly priced wingers expendable. I think Tocc is gonna want to see if he can get similar production out of Garly from his time in AZ before letting him go and I for one am all for it. 

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Could also be to boost potential trade value after an injury scare…?

Yeah I thought they might keep him on injury reserve to not look desperate to offload salary (on him or other players)

I am sure Tanner does not want to be sitting when he is ready and wanting to play for next years contract and his agent said to activate him as he is healthy

• Cheers 1

Hoping he can remind us how good he was in his better years with us. If he struggles a lot, this'll hurt us more than help us. I'm a bit concerned we're gonna do something like trade Garland for a 4th round pick or something just to get under the cap.

• Cheers 2

It could come down to the wire but Mikheyev on IR could be an option depending on how he progresses, or a Beauvillier dump since he has the friendliest contract to move.

Tocc likes heavy board guys and Pearson fits that mold, so I really don't see them moving him, which would be difficult anyway

• Cheers 1

Just now, Nucklifer said:

It could come down to the wire but Mikheyev on IR could be an option depending on how he progresses, or a Beauvillier dump since he has the friendliest contract to move.

Tocc likes heavy board guys and Pearson fits that mold, so I really don't see them moving him, which would be difficult anyway

Mik should be placed on IR for sure. Apparently no plans to use him in pre-season game so best to shut him down and give him as much time as he needs to get back into game shape and trust his own body again. He could be a major piece that can shift around the top 9 and with his speed he’s pretty valuable to this club. No sense in risking him.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Hoping he can remind us how good he was in his better years with us. If he struggles a lot, this'll hurt us more than help us. I'm a bit concerned we're gonna do something like trade Garland for a 4th round pick or something just to get under the cap.

When up against the cap, we are not going to get good value on whoever we move unfortunately, it will need to be a low return and/or add draft pick or retention on a useful NHL player

Garland has to be hard for that trade list.

Tocchet's style of play requires you to go through guys, (lots of straight lines) not around them.
You can't question the guys effort - his motor doesn't quit.
The game is only 60 minutes long though, and too much time is being wasted by some of these much smaller players trying to find openings. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

When up against the cap, we are not going to get good value on whoever we move unfortunately, it will need to be a low return and/or add draft pick or retention on a useful NHL player

Give someone away if you have to.
Just don't dump any more high picks to do so. 

• Cheers 1

If Tanner can contribute the way he did in better times, and if there are no lingering effects that would constitute nights off on a regular basis, he could be very useful.

One thing that's (generally) remained constant with the Canucks is injuries. The kind that keep you out for a couple of games or even five or so. He could help take bigger

roles when needed.

I can't forget his age though and the fact the league in general, is getting faster.  End analysis for me is hell yah! He could easily play on a third line. Maybe fill in on

the higher two when needed. Actually he could conceivably be permanently on the second if all goes real well.

57 minutes ago, Integra250 said:

Mikheyev-Pettersson-Kuzmenko

Beauvillier-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Blueger-Garland

Podkolzin-Suter-Joshua

Hughes-Cole

Soucy-Hronek

Irwin-Myers

Extras: Rathbone, Hoglander

Demko

Silovs

I think this is cap compliant??? Otherwise we're going to risk losing Rathbone or Hoglander on waivers.

nope rathbone or hoglander will have to be on waivers to be compliant so basically either trade them for pennies or lose them for nothing.. i don't think any team will offer anything for them unless they are sure they can make their team as they would have to send them thru waivers themselves to send them down..  maybe you try sneak them down waivers early while team still haven't made roster decision and have no spots.. if we go with ur projected lineup we are going to lose either or.. if you are going to put podkolzin on the 4th line.. might as well just put hoglander there.. at least podkolzin is waiver exempt.. neither is a good fit for the 4th line in terms of their development anyways and you don't have to worry about losing hoglander or rathbone to waivers.

Like a lot of you are already saying, if he's up to scratch, he would be a really useful player for them. 

I'd like to see him on Pius Suters line, who I believe will end up centering the 3rd line. I think Pearsons defensive game could allow Suter to have more offensive opportunities as well as really solidifying that as a shut-down line. Feels like it makes too much sense that there will be a lot of rotation of wingers this season but I like that combo on paper. 

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I'm happy for him, and he should fit RT's system well. My issue with him was Benning, the deal was classic Jimbo, a year too long and a million too much. 

Pearson at the time, was predicted to go for more.   This was one deal that wasn't too bad.    The deal Pearson signed before was too rich.    Funny how things worked out.   Every single line combo Pearson was on, got a bump when he played.    Green kept his career alive, in PIT it wasn't working out.    If he can come back and still play,  33 points doesn't seem that hard to do.   Pearson is one of our better LW's.  Who's actually better.  Kuzmenko, and he's getting 5, and started in the doghouse.

Mikheyev and Garland seem like worse money spent, and neither of them are terrible.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1