[Proposal] Trade Mikheyev to make room for playoff depth?

With Mikheyev relegated to the bottom 6 lately, I wonder if JR/PA are going to look to move him to create some cap space for more upgrades?

Don't know what he is worth exactly, but although his top end speed is lacking for now (ACL recovery) which has hampered his offence, I think he is still a good defensively sound winger that has potential to be a buy low option for a team when his recovery is complete.

Perhaps Mikheyev to Chicago for a 2024 3rd round pick (OTT) would be close? Clearing the cap space is the real benefit of such a move.

This would give us the cap space at the TDL to do stuff like this:

To CGY: Raty + Klimovich + Woo

To VAN: Tanev (50% retained)

To NSH: 2024 3rd round pick 

To VAN: Trenin

To ANA: 2024 4th round pick

To VAN: Sam Carrick

Sign Kessel to $775k x 1

NHL lineup after the TDL (26 players) all of which fits under the cap limit:

Suter Miller Boeser

Hoglander Pettersson Lindholm

Joshua Blueger Garland

Trenin Carrick Lafferty

PDG Aman Kessel

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Tanev

Cole Myers

Zadorov Juulsen

Friedman

Demko, Desmith

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

NHL's first 26 man roster. 🤣

We don't have a 3rd well we might or we might not. Not sure how that works since we don't have a 3rd in 2025, 2026, what happens if he make the conf finals?

Not sure how it works with Kessel if he signs for 775k would his cap hit not be prorated or whatever you call it like when Nylander signed for 7m but had a 9m cap hit because he signed part way through the season? 

Price for Tanev is a 1st you won't get him for a 3rd rounder on his 2nd team and 2 busts. 

Carrik I would love to get I think he's pretty well loved in Heim. I could only see him moved if he asked for a trade to have a chance at a cup. I think you'd have to toss them a 4c Aman/Raty + the pick. The market for right shot C's might be even hotter than that right now?

Trenin is a great target. Nashville is in Cap trouble. They need players that can play now cheap. Again Right shot C market you can thank Alvin for that. If he's made available there will probably be a bidding war. People are talking about a 1st for Nic freaking Dowd. Now I think thats a bit rich. But it probably means a 3rd isn't close. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PeteyBOI said:

2you cleared too much capim guessing as we are only allowed 23 players max under the cba

2 hours ago, Hammertime said:

NHL's first 26 man roster. 🤣

The 23-player roster limit is in place from the end of preseason until the NHL trade deadline. After that, teams can have up to 50 players on their active roster, provided that they’re signed to a Standard Player Contract.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

We don't have a 3rd well we might or we might not.

The 3rd comes from trading Mikheyev, as stated in the OP.

Not sure how it works with Kessel if he signs for 775k would his cap hit not be prorated or whatever you call it like when Nylander signed for 7m but had a 9m cap hit because he signed part way through the season? 

Not an issue as long as he is not paid in bonuses, which are pro-rated based on remaining season days. Straight salary is not pro-rated.

Price for Tanev is a 1st you won't get him for a 3rd rounder on his 2nd team and 2 busts. 

Raty was a mid 2nd rounder, not a 3rd rounder. IMO he is worth more than a late 1st round pick in 2024, which is all that TOR would be offering for Tanev. Much more useful to CGY than picks, as he is almost fully developed and can help their roster as early as next season.

Edited by BigTramFan

6 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

The 23-player roster limit is in place from the end of preseason until the NHL trade deadline. After that, teams can have up to 50 players on their active roster, provided that they’re signed to a Standard Player Contract.

Well I'll be! 

I actually fact checked that and it seems correct. I learned something today. Cudos. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BigTramFan said:

The 3rd comes from trading Mikheyev, as stated in the OP.

Not an issue as long as he is not paid in bonuses, which are pro-rated based on remaining season days. Straight salary is not pro-rated.

Raty was a mid 2nd rounder, not a 3rd rounder. IMO he is worth more than a late 1st round pick in 2024, which is all that TOR would be offering for Tanev. Much more useful to CGY than picks, as he can hep their roster as early as next season

Welp gitter dunn. @BigTramFan for asst GM! I thought Ratty was a 3rd memory slipping I guess. 

I'd love Tanev for Raty and change Trenin for a 3rd and Carrik for a 4th quit polishing your dome Alvin. 

You'll get no more argument from me. 

27 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

read that again friend

27 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

read that again friend

13 minutes ago, PeteyBOI said:

read that again friend

From multiple sources...

From the end of the trade deadline until the end of the regular season there is no roster limit, however a team is only allowed to recall 4 players from their American Hockey league team. The team is allowed an unlimited number of emergency recalls if there are injuries on your current roster.

NHL Rosters from the end of the trade deadline until the end of the season

This restriction to have 20 – 23 players on the roster is during the regular seasons and is lifted when the trade deadline ends at the end of the season. During this duration, the teams can have unlimited players on the roster.

But there is a condition. A team can call only four players from their American Hockey league team. If the team has injured players on the roster, they are not restricted to having some limited number of emergency recalls; instead, they can keep an unlimited number. The teams can call four players from the American Hockey League, but they do not. The main reason is the salary cap again, which has to be considered while signing the players.

After the NHL Trade Deadline (TDL), the roster limits for NHL teams are as follows:

• During the regular season, each NHL team must carry a minimum of 20 players and cannot exceed a maximum of 23 players on their roster. These players include both skaters and goaltenders1.
  • However, after the TDL, the number of roster spots expands, allowing teams to have more players available for games and playoff runs.
  • Additionally, there are special emergency provisions for injuries, which may allow teams to temporarily exceed the regular roster limits.

Here are the key categories and numbers related to NHL rosters:

1. Active Roster:

• During the regular season, each NHL team can carry a maximum of 23 players on their playing roster.
    • Teams must have a minimum of at least 20 players during this time.
    • After the TDL, teams can have an unlimited active roster at the NHL level, provided players are signed to one of the team’s 50 contract slots.
    • Some teams choose to carry fewer than 23 players due to salary cap constraints

Edited by BigTramFan

4 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

With Mikheyev relegated to the bottom 6 lately, I wonder if JR/PA are going to look to move him to create some cap space for more upgrades?

Don't know what he is worth exactly, but although his top end speed is lacking for now (ACL recovery) which has hampered his offence, I think he is still a good defensively sound winger that has potential to be a buy low option for a team when his recovery is complete.

Perhaps Mikheyev to Chicago for a 2024 3rd round pick (OTT) would be close? Clearing the cap space is the real benefit of such a move.

This would give us the cap space at the TDL to do stuff like this:

To CGY: Raty + Klimovich + Woo

To VAN: Tanev (50% retained)

To NSH: 2024 3rd round pick 

To VAN: Trenin

To ANA: 2024 4th round pick

To VAN: Sam Carrick

Sign Kessel to $775k x 1

NHL lineup after the TDL (26 players) all of which fits under the cap limit:

Suter Miller Boeser

Hoglander Pettersson Lindholm

Joshua Blueger Garland

Trenin Carrick Lafferty

PDG Aman Kessel

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Tanev

Cole Myers

Zadorov Juulsen

Friedman

Demko, Desmith

With all of that you still have Suter in the top 6 = failed

39 minutes ago, DexM94 said:

With all of that you still have Suter in the top 6 = failed

Suter-Miller-Boeser in 102 mins at even strength:

GF = 9

GA = 2

+/- = +7

Shots For = 58

Shots Against = 31

Think he is doing ok in that role. Thanks for the input.

• MillerTime 1

Chicago wouldn’t want Mikheyev so everything else that you mentioned wouldn’t be able to be accomplished. Chicago only took Beauvillier because they needed a warm body to ice in the lineup and his contract is expiring. Mikheyev has 2 years left, so instead of Chicago giving up a 3rd round pick, they could easily sign a bunch of guys in the summer for free to fill up their roster.

Also, Calgary is looking for a 1st round pick for Tanev and will most likely get it, especially if they are retaining 50%, which should allow most cup contenders to bid for his services…

Edited by Elias Pettersson

Trenin is a nice target on his own and we should have the cap space to acquire him.  I’m not really concerned about our defence once Soucy is back.  I’m more concerned about the forwards and about having to play Suter in the top 6. Also, our 4th line sucks right now, so I’d want to upgrade there.  Trenin would help with that for sure.  I think we would need more than a 3rd to get him though.  Probably our 2025 2nd round pick…

Edited by Elias Pettersson

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Suter-Miller-Boeser in 102 mins at even strength:

GF = 9

GA = 2

+/- = +7

Shots For = 58

Shots Against = 31

Think he is doing ok in that role. Thanks for the input.

Wait, are you ok with Suter in top 6 ? Really ? The guy we add to take bottom 6 center duties ?
Are the stats above top 6 material ? Could you tell me from which site do you get the line stats ? I want to see some others lines… 

Even the Boeser stats 5v5 without Petey should be interesting. 

Edited by DexM94

9 hours ago, DexM94 said:

Wait, are you ok with Suter in top 6 ? Really ? The guy we add to take bottom 6 center duties ?
Are the stats above top 6 material ? Could you tell me from which site do you get the line stats ? I want to see some others lines… 

Even the Boeser stats 5v5 without Petey should be interesting. 

Yes! I don't care why we signed him, I am only concerned with how they perform as a line now. I also don't really care about the individual stats, because who cares who scores the goals if the Suter-Miller-Boeser line can match up against other teams top lines 5v5 and be that dominant, then you know you are on a good thing! I also like that Suter is feisty, although he's not a big guy he doesn't back down.

The line stats were from Dobber's Frozen Tools. Note that the stats have been updated since my last post, now halfway through the Minny game Suter-Miller-Boeser are up to +9 at even strength in 107 mins on ice!

Interestingly check out the performance of Boeser's most common four line combinations below. He's always with Miller, but adding Suter instead of Pettersson moves their Shots For % (SF%) to 64.9% compared to 38.1% with Pettersson on that line. The chemistry is great, so why wouldn't we stick with Suter at 1LW and find a decent 4C to fill Suter's old role? Certainly going to cost us a lot less than renting a top line LW!

image.thumb.png.83ce0741aeb67f3eb83e28e056577958.png

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Chicago wouldn’t want Mikheyev so everything else that you mentioned wouldn’t be able to be accomplished. Chicago only took Beauvillier because they needed a warm body to ice in the lineup and his contract is expiring. Mikheyev has 2 years left, so instead of Chicago giving up a 3rd round pick, they could easily sign a bunch of guys in the summer for free to fill up their roster.

I don't think Mikheyev has negative value and I still think he can be moved reasonably easily. Maybe not Chicago, but I don't see why CHI wouldn't be interested. They certainly don't want to just overpay has-beens to fill their roster. Regardless of the return, as long as Mik's cap hit is off our books then we have capacity to make similar moves to the ones I suggested.

Also, Calgary is looking for a 1st round pick for Tanev and will most likely get it, especially if they are retaining 50%, which should allow most cup contenders to bid for his services…

Yes I know they want a 1st. IMO Raty is worth more than a late 1st round pick in 2024. CGY are not going full rebuild, so someone like Raty has more usefulness than a late 1st in a shallow draft.

Trenin is a nice target on his own and we should have the cap space to acquire him.  I’m not really concerned about our defence once Soucy is back.  I’m more concerned about the forwards and about having to play Suter in the top 6. Also, our 4th line sucks right now, so I’d want to upgrade there.  Trenin would help with that for sure.  I think we would need more than a 3rd to get him though.  Probably our 2025 2nd round pick…

I think a 3rd round pick for an expiring Trenin is fair. No way that I'd pay a 2nd round pick.

• Vintage 1

On 2/19/2024 at 1:19 PM, BigTramFan said:

Yes I know they want a 1st. IMO Raty is worth more than a late 1st round pick in 2024. CGY are not going full rebuild, so someone like Raty has more usefulness than a late 1st in a shallow draft.

I think a 3rd round pick for an expiring Trenin is fair. No way that I'd pay a 2nd round pick.

Raty (+ Klim) is the youngest (by 2yrs or more) on the Abby team and is playing as a top 6 player.

He has far more value than a late 1st.  Drafted the same year as Klimovich.

I'd be disappointed if they traded Raty for a UFA, even if it was Tanev.