[Report] Blues listening on Buchnevich, not shopping him

This is bait, you're being baited, you know who you are :classic_ninja:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2850473/report-blues-listening-on-buchnevich-not-shopping-him

St. Louis Blues forward Pavel Buchnevich has been generating a modest amount of trade buzz in recent weeks, but general manager Doug Armstrong isn't actively shopping him, a source told The Athletic's Jeremy Rutherford.

Armstrong is reportedly willing to listen to offers for Buchnevich, but the Blues would need to be wowed by the return to seriously consider making a move.

Buchnevich has totaled 19 goals and 43 points in 53 games this campaign and is on track for his fourth consecutive 20-goal season. Only five of his tallies have come at five-on-five, but he's generated almost nine individual expected goals in those situations, according to Natural Stat Trick.

He has one more year remaining on his current deal with a $5.8-million cap hit. Buchnevich will be 30 years old once it expires. The versatile Russian winger would have some control over any potential deal thanks to his 12-team no-trade list.

St. Louis underwent a major fire sale last season, parting ways with Vladimir Tarasenko, Ryan O'Reilly, and Ivan Barbashev.

Even with that mass exodus, the Blues are challenging for a playoff spot this campaign. They currently occupy the second wild-card spot in the Western Conference, though they're a distant 13 points behind the Winnipeg Jets for third place in the Central Division despite playing one more game.

Armstrong recently reiterated his hesitance to undergo a full rebuild in an interview with The Athletic's Pierre LeBrun.

"I know in our market - and I've talked to our ownership group about it, and I get their guidance on it - I don't think our fan base deserves or wants to be part of an eight-to-10-year rebuild," the executive explained.

The Blues have gone 16-10-1 under interim head coach Drew Bannister since he replaced Craig Berube in mid-December. Their .611 points percentage is the 12th best in the league over that span.

Next up for Buchnevich and St. Louis is a clash against the New York Islanders on Thursday.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Too old too pricey, thanks, but no thanks. I have a feeling Alvin may go off the board in terms of the player or players they bring in by the trade deadline who may not be too well known.

1 hour ago, Reg said:

Too old too pricey, thanks, but no thanks. I have a feeling Alvin may go off the board in terms of the player or players they bring in by the trade deadline who may not be too well known.

Agreed, while the Canucks have arrived this year, their window is not an all in for this year alone type scenario as some media and analysts are suggesting due to the number of UFAs on the books. The Canucks have already stated they foresee multiple roles next season being filled from within so we can already expect some younger cheaper options coming in when at minimum half the UFAs leave for bigger pay days.

The team should be looking for hockey trades at this point to add another player(s) with term and who could become a part of the window this team has cracked open this year.

That said, fully expecting a depth defenseman coming to Vancouver in a rental scenario on the trade front a minimum cost.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

St. Louis Blues forward Pavel Buchnevich has been generating a modest amount of trade buzz in recent weeks, but general manager Doug Armstrong isn't actively shopping him, a source told The Athletic's Jeremy Rutherford.

Armstrong is reportedly willing to listen to offers for Buchnevich, but the Blues would need to be wowed by the return to seriously consider making a move.

Isn't this one of the core duties of a GM, all the time?  If they are not trying to improve their team or their team's future, then what are they doing? 

Unless a player has a full no-move clause and is 100% unwilling to waive it, then the GM should be willing to listen to offers on every single player at all times.  That's the job.  You could write this article about any player in the league.

33 minutes ago, Goalie29 said:

Isn't this one of the core duties of a GM, all the time?  If they are not trying to improve their team or their team's future, then what are they doing? 

Unless a player has a full no-move clause and is 100% unwilling to waive it, then the GM should be willing to listen to offers on every single player at all times.  That's the job.  You could write this article about any player in the league.

Perhaps, but it's a bit different closer to the deadline

The runours, signings, reports, speculation, ect are what give us content to discuss in this part of CFF

19 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Perhaps, but it's a bit different closer to the deadline

The runours, signings, reports, speculation, ect are what give us content to discuss in this part of CFF

All true.  I just think it's lazy reporting.  They could probably roll out the same article before every deadline and just change the names and stats.  No deep thought required.

Maybe that's the mark of a good reporter.  Working smarter, not harder.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Goalie29 said:

All true.  I just think it's lazy reporting.  They could probably roll out the same article before every deadline and just change the names and stats.  No deep thought required.

Maybe that's the mark of a good reporter.  Working smarter, not harder.

That's most hockey media tbh, but I don't disagree 

39 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Logic. If someone was dumb enough to offer something decent for those two would you say no?

I'd probably want a 1st for Myers, given how the market is right now. But otoh, he's fine as an "own rental" too. 

I'm bummed about Mik, I think its his knee giving him trouble. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Logic. If someone was dumb enough to offer something decent for those two would you say no?

Well it wouldn't be very logical for any other team to make that kind of a trade.  It's not about us saying no.  It's about why any other team would say "yes".

6 hours ago, Reg said:

Yeah I’m expecting a hronek out of the blue type deal, maybe even a popular player amongst our fan base that they don’t see as a long term fit… 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I'd probably want a 1st for Myers, given how the market is right now. But otoh, he's fine as an "own rental" too. 

I'm bummed about Mik, I think its his knee giving him trouble. 

Its his hands. His speed isnt terrible. He’s got stone for hands. Hes like Hansen.

In 2021-22, the Russian winger reached a top speed of 23.41 miles-per-hour according to NHL Edge data, placing him in the 95th percentile of all forwards. He also recorded 218 speed bursts where he broke the 20 mile-per-hour barrier, also good for the 95th percentile.

This year, his top speed reached is 22.63 mph, ranking in the 77th percentile among forwards. In addition, he has just 53 speed bursts over 20 mph, placing him in the 64th percentile, or just above average.

his speed really isnt that far off. He’s just not very skilled imo.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

Its his hands. His speed isnt terrible. He’s got stone for hands. Hes like Hansen.

In 2021-22, the Russian winger reached a top speed of 23.41 miles-per-hour according to NHL Edge data, placing him in the 95th percentile of all forwards. He also recorded 218 speed bursts where he broke the 20 mile-per-hour barrier, also good for the 95th percentile.

This year, his top speed reached is 22.63 mph, ranking in the 77th percentile among forwards. In addition, he has just 53 speed bursts over 20 mph, placing him in the 64th percentile, or just above average.

his speed really isnt that far off. He’s just not very skilled imo.

for me, I've always loved his speed, his defensive game, and his ability to create some separation for a line. But yeah, sometimes he's like Steve Bernier hands-wise. 

• Cheers 1