[poll/discussion] the definitive Petey poll

Petey - what say you?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Should Allvin:

• Trade Petey this TDL for a haul now, no matter where the team is at. We won't win with him.
    • Only trade Petey in the offseason/at the draft if he wants over 12 mil AAV?
    • Keep Petey, pay the man what he wants he's one of the best we've ever had.
    • Other.

Elias Pettersson is one of the most intelligent hockey players in the world.  His ability to impact the game on both sides of the ice is truly a sight to behold.  I don't want to hear anyone suggesting...

"He doesn't show up"

"He only cares about himself"

"He disappears in crunch time"

"He's a me-first guy, not team-first"

Petey is not immune from criticism.  He has regressed defensively for sure.  There are absolutely things he needs to work on.  But no more of these nonsense generalities you hear from bad sports writers every day.

Edited by Miss Korea
  • ThereItIs 2

Great idea! Great poll.

Fore sure it's exhausting listening to everyone's opinion on how he plays and what his value is after each game. Most folks spend more time attacking each other over their opinions on Petey rather than considering the comments themselves.

I've got my opinions and have shared them from time to time, but it would be good to see what others think about his future with the team. I wonder if there is a majority or whether it will be evenly split.

• Cheers 1

Just now, JayDangles said:

Great idea! Great poll.

Fore sure it's exhausting listening to everyone's opinion on how he plays and what his value is after each game. Most folks spend more time attacking each other over their opinions on Petey rather than considering the comments themselves.

I've got my opinions and have shared them from time to time, but it would be good to see what others think about his future with the team. I wonder if there is a majority or whether it will be evenly split.

I think most folks will want to keep him (I'm in that camp). I can understand people not wanting to go over 12 mil, e.g., and that seems like a reasonable take as well. Certainly not trying to get rid of him, but they might see some scary cap issues e.g. 

I think you need to lock up elite talent when you can. 

He is likely already a top 5 player the Canucks have ever drafted (I'm being generous it is probably more like top 3) and his game will still improve and get more rounded out as he gets experience. 

I'm not sure why us trading him would be an option? So we trade our number 1 C for another number 1 C?

Or are we getting excited to start another re-tool/rebuild? 

you should change it to over 11 as i'm sure most don't even want to pay him anywhere close to nylanders money 11.5.. as you setting it at 12 makes it ya i'll only trade him if he's asking for the 2nd/3rd highest cap in the league

24 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

For all we know, Petey is fine at $10, maybe the disagreement is in the term. Everyone saying he wants $12, but when did he say that?

Just the Ian Macintires of the world, and a bunch of other undercover agents lol. Petey would be happy with 9 I bet, over 8 years. There is no need for everyone to elevate the numbers so much that we would prefer to trade him.

9 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

Just the Ian Macintires of the world, and a bunch of other undercover agents lol. Petey would be happy with 9 I bet, over 8 years. There is no need for everyone to elevate the numbers so much that we would prefer to trade him.

$9 million?  Really?

At that price and age point we are talking Barzal and Meier numbers.  I think Petey had more points than those two combined.

Come on.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Desmenko 1

38 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

you should change it to over 11 as i'm sure most don't even want to pay him anywhere close to nylanders money 11.5.. as you setting it at 12 makes it ya i'll only trade him if he's asking for the 2nd/3rd highest cap in the league

thats what "other" is for. Anything in the 11s for 4-8 years with the cap going up would be great for us. 

Would love to get EP on a 4 to 8 year deal.

I voted if he wants over 12 mill you have to trade him.

That would be a money grab.

EP has been streaky his entire career and can put up points so should get a big haul.

To me looking at other players now without the cap going up he'd rank 10.5 at most,so over 12 is to much.

My thoughts are he would get you 2 firsts,two players to fill gaps and best two prospects.

We have cap room we could resign mist and add at least one other.

So that's three players added plus picks and prospects.

That would be worth it long as we get a center and RHD in the trade.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I think most folks will want to keep him (I'm in that camp). I can understand people not wanting to go over 12 mil, e.g., and that seems like a reasonable take as well. Certainly not trying to get rid of him, but they might see some scary cap issues e.g. 

I think you need to lock up elite talent when you can. 

I think most folks want to keep him. It's just the "unknown" and assumed dollar value that creating all the crazy discussion. I personally have concerns about whether we can win a cup with him. Whether he is built for the grind of the playoffs. Whether he can withstand the wear and tear, and whether he can push back when pushed. 

Because of my concerns, I personally feel that whatever he is "worth", he should be paid 10-15% less, because I'm not convinced he is the right guy for the job. Doesn't mean he shouldnt or cant be part of our cup winning team, just believe that there is a risk and because of that risk we shouldnt pay top dollar. Again, not saying he is shit by any means. Just saying that if his point totals say he should be $12m, then I would like to see him take $10.5m. that way he shouldnt have a problem living up to his contract, and if he falters, or struggles people will be way less likely to give him shit because he took a contract that acknowledged the risks.. If that makes sense.

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I think most folks want to keep him. It's just the "unknown" and assumed dollar value that creating all the crazy discussion. I personally have concerns about whether we can win a cup with him. Whether he is built for the grind of the playoffs. Whether he can withstand the wear and tear, and whether he can push back when pushed. 

Because of my concerns, I personally feel that whatever he is "worth", he should be paid 10-15% less, because I'm not convinced he is the right guy for the job. Doesn't mean he shouldnt or cant be part of our cup winning team, just believe that there is a risk and because of that risk we shouldnt pay top dollar. Again, not saying he is shit by any means. Just saying that if his point totals say he should be $12m, then I would like to see him take $10.5m. that way he shouldnt have a problem living up to his contract, and if he falters, or struggles people will be way less likely to give him shit because he took a contract that acknowledged the risks.. If that makes sense.

It will probably be term that determines if it's closer to 11 than 12. But we'll see, Petey has a heck of a team around him now, that he never had before.

I like the idea of building a team core around draft picks that grow up learning the NHL

game together.  It builds deep friendships and loyalty; for each other, as well as the team.

We have this with the Canucks and look forward to another group of promising prospect

in the next couple of seasons.

All the best teams in this year's top dozen have managed to keep their best drafted players,

but for Vegas, who had the advantage of selecting their entire team at once, with a handful

of draft picks thrown in. 

Boston has been a master at keeping drafted players and TB as well.  NYR, Edm (although they

traded a lot of picks in their rebuilding years), Dallas, Carolina, Colorado, Winnipeg and Toronto

are hanging onto their drafted players too.

Gotta keep Pete, he's one of the core and is the welcome wagon for the various Swedish

prospects on their way to Vancouver. 

The one thing Im confident about in Petey is that he is driven. I do think he has another level he can get to and likely will (given his self motivation).  Ill be curious how contract stuff ends up playing out in the summer.  I imagine the offered contract being tabled isnt about the money but who knows.  He definitely seems like the type of personality that would prefer flexibility