[poll/discussion] the definitive Petey poll

Petey - what say you?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Should Allvin:

• Trade Petey this TDL for a haul now, no matter where the team is at. We won't win with him.
    • Only trade Petey in the offseason/at the draft if he wants over 12 mil AAV?
    • Keep Petey, pay the man what he wants he's one of the best we've ever had.
    • Other.

I sort of like option 2, except I think there's a chance he might be worth $12M or even a little more. If the number starts going above $12.5M, I'd explore trades. He's a young man still. Even an 8-year deal only takes him to 33 years old, so is fairly safe.

I went with option 3 to keep, given I think he could be worth a bit over $12M.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

It will probably be term that determines if it's closer to 11 than 12. But we'll see, Petey has a heck of a team around him now, that he never had before.

tbh if you were to ask me i think EP have issues with the management just like previous management they have never made it a priority to get him some good players to play with him 5v5 consistently conor garland is probably the best in terms of highest points in a season at 52.. and then next on the list is mikheyev and his 32 points, kuzmenko is ok.. but tocchet doesn't like the way he plays and crippled him offensively.. even though they have a better team overall. i'm just looking at the toi even strength for the top 15 forwards in the league in points.. there's not a single forward that doesn't have a forward linemate with fewer than 1200 minutes played together.. and all of those forwards are usually in the star/borderline star caliber.. ep barely have a forward with over 1k minutes and that's kuzmenko.. while some players have close to 2600 minutes with consistent linemates 

last 3 seasons at even strength forward linemates with over 1200mins together

kucherov- point stamkos

mackinnon- rantanen (2600 mins)

mcdavid- hyman draistial

pastrnak- no one be really should be prorated marchand/zacha because bergeron krejci retired or they'll be up there

Miller- Boeser

matthews- nylander

nylander- matthews

Pettersson- no one

Rantanen- Mackinnon

marner- tavares

reinhart- tkatchuk barkov

etc etc

Edited by wai_lai416

I am a 10,750,000 guy. (On 8 years) Anything over 11,500,000 and we should move him. Just look at those players that make more. They are all drivers, and carry the play. Petty does not do that. Nor does he make those moves that can spring himself. That is not him. He has a great shot, great positioning, great instincts, has even been more aggressive.......but, I am not sure he is worth any more.....maybe you can push me to 11,000,000 but that is it.

His return is huge though, and is something to consider.....

To Columbus for Sillinger, Jirichek, 2024-1st

I mean, as much as I don't want to pay, He is worth that!

I went with option 2 for sure!

Edited by JIAHN
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

I am a 10,750,000 guy. (On 8 years) Anything over 11,500,000 and we should move him. Just look at those players that make more. They are all drivers, and carry the play. Petty does not do that. Nor does he make those moves that can spring himself. That is not him. He has a great shot, great positioning, great instincts, has even been more aggressive.......but, I am not sure he is worth any more.....maybe you can push me to 11,000,000 but that is it.

His return is huge though, and is something to consider.....

To Columbus for Sillinger, Jirichek, 2024-1st

I mean, as much as I don't want to pay, He is worth that!

I went with option 2 for sure!

I always appreciate your pov. Its good to know what his trade value is, even if you want to sign him long term. It really helps dial in on the correct number for AAV. 

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

tbh if you were to ask me i think EP have issues with the management just like previous management they have never made it a priority to get him some good players to play with him 5v5 consistently conor garland is probably the best in terms of highest points in a season at 52.. and then next on the list is mikheyev and his 32 points, kuzmenko is ok.. but tocchet doesn't like the way he plays and crippled him offensively.. even though they have a better team overall. i'm just looking at the toi even strength for the top 15 forwards in the league in points.. there's not a single forward that doesn't have a forward linemate with fewer than 1200 minutes played together.. and all of those forwards are usually in the star/borderline star caliber.. ep barely have a forward with over 1k minutes and that's kuzmenko.. while some players have close to 2600 minutes with consistent linemates 

kucherov- point stamkos

mcdavid- hyman draistial

pastrnak- no one be really should be prorated marchand/zacha because bergeron krejci retired or they'll be up there

Miller- Boeser

matthews- nylander

nylander- matthews

Pettersson- no one

Rantanen- Mackinnon

marner- tavares

etc etc

The management has gone to great lengths to build this team into a potential contender; including

bringing in better supporting players, a fantastic coach and training staff and have twice attempted

to sign/trade a player that could compliment Petey's skills.  First it was Kuzy, who helped Pete

have a breakout season.  Who knew that Kuzy would no longer be a fit on a changing Tocchett

team.  Mik was also brought in to play alongside Pete, providing speed, defensive and offensive

support.  Mik never seemed to recover from his surgery and was unable to play as expected.

Now they have traded for Lindy, who is starting to look like he will be a good match.

Most of the players you have listed, I have highlighted.  You can see that the majority are

partnered with other with another top draft pick selected by their team.

But for Petey, Canucks never had a top 5 pick during the past 10yrs.  Instead, Benning traded

away 1st rounders and made poor choices in picks: for example; he could have picked Jason

Robertson over Kole Lind, or Matthew Boldy over Podkolzin.   Yes, it's easy to see the

mistakes after the fact, but Benning made so many mistakes with his 1st rd picks.

If I were Pete, my frustration would be directed at Benning; not the current management.

I sure hope Pete signs with the Canucks as he is an important part of the Canucks future

success.  I think it would be dreadful watching him putting up massive points and being

the significant factor for a SC championship.

16 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The management has gone to great lengths to build this team into a potential contender; including

bringing in better supporting players, a fantastic coach and training staff and have twice attempted

to sign/trade a player that could compliment Petey's skills.  First it was Kuzy, who helped Pete

have a breakout season.  Who knew that Kuzy would no longer be a fit on a changing Tocchett

team.  Mik was also brought in to play alongside Pete, providing speed, defensive and offensive

support.  Mik never seemed to recover from his surgery and was unable to play as expected.

Now they have traded for Lindy, who is starting to look like he will be a good match.

Most of the players you have listed, I have highlighted.  You can see that the majority are

partnered with other with another top draft pick selected by their team.

But for Petey, Canucks never had a top 5 pick during the past 10yrs.  Instead, Benning traded

away 1st rounders and made poor choices in picks: for example; he could have picked Jason

Robertson over Kole Lind, or Matthew Boldy over Podkolzin.   Yes, it's easy to see the

mistakes after the fact, but Benning made so many mistakes with his 1st rd picks.

If I were Pete, my frustration would be directed at Benning; not the current management.

I sure hope Pete signs with the Canucks as he is an important part of the Canucks future

success.  I think it would be dreadful watching him putting up massive points and being

the significant factor for a SC championship.

I don’t disagree with you but I think kuzmenko was a hope and a prayer that he would work and mikheyev I dunno 32 point was his career high.. not sure if he’s the guy u want for offense.. his shot sucks and he relies on his speed. I dunno if speed is ep style of play. Lindholm is the first time the management brought in someone to supportively play with ep but even that didn’t last all too long before they broke it up and just recently bit back together again. If the 12x8 rumor or something remotely close is true then it’s probably not about the money. I doubt he’s milking 12mil vs say 12.5 or who knows maybe doesn’t want the term

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I don’t disagree with you but I think kuzmenko was a hope and a prayer that he would work and mikheyev I dunno 32 point was his career high.. not sure if he’s the guy u want for offense.. his shot sucks and he relies on his speed. I dunno if speed is ep style of play. Lindholm is the first time the management brought in someone to supportively play with ep but even that didn’t last all too long before they broke it up and just recently bit back together again. If the 12x8 rumor or something remotely close is true then it’s probably not about the money. I doubt he’s milking 12mil vs say 12.5 or who knows maybe doesn’t want the term

Pete managed to put up +100pts on that line.  Sadly, Kuze couldn't play the new structure and

had to go.

Bringing it back to the list of great tandems in the NHL, the problem of the lack of quality top

6 really goes back to the Benning years.  Let's face it, the best line was the Lotto line, but then

Brock started to fade.  It's not like JT had the greatest partners, either.  Yeah, he has an improved

Boeser, but what about the guys that have played on the left side?  JT is fortunate to get more

minutes with the top d pairing, but one can't be too excited about the top 6 on this team.

As far as his contract goes, I don't follow rumours.  I know, Petey didn't/doesn't want

to begin contract talks until the offseason.  He and the management have stated.this.

• MillerTime 1

On 2/22/2024 at 7:29 PM, wai_lai416 said:

kucherov- point stamkos

mcdavid- hyman draistial

Miller- Boeser

matthews- nylander

nylander- matthews

Pettersson- no one

Rantanen- Mackinnon

marner- tavares

etc etc

Barkov plays on his own line, Rhino this year enjoying a breakout season with Rodrigues 

MT plays with Bennet.  

Mathews often plays with Marner and Bunting 

Nylander with Tavares 

Sleeping on Robertson, Hint, Pavelski

Two line on Sens, one BT, Giroux, Stutzle and Norris. 

3 Seasons ago, Miller played with everyone and their dog (his 99 point year).   Eventually "saddled" with Boeser.   

On 2/22/2024 at 9:22 PM, higgyfan said:

Pete managed to put up +100pts on that line.  Sadly, Kuze couldn't play the new structure and

had to go.

Bringing it back to the list of great tandems in the NHL, the problem of the lack of quality top

6 really goes back to the Benning years.  Let's face it, the best line was the Lotto line, but then

Brock started to fade.  It's not like JT had the greatest partners, either.  Yeah, he has an improved

Boeser, but what about the guys that have played on the left side?  JT is fortunate to get more

minutes with the top d pairing, but one can't be too excited about the top 6 on this team.

As far as his contract goes, I don't follow rumours.  I know, Petey didn't/doesn't want

to begin contract talks until the offseason.  He and the management have stated.this.

Yes 100%.  I've posted Millers minutes (the entire teams) a couple times Greens last year, Bruce bump.   Miller and Brock were frequent but hardly a commitment, Miller played with virtually everyone.   Hogs, Podz, EP, Horvat, Garland, Pearson, Brock.   EP did the same.       That year the Lotto line was terrible.    EP played with both Brock and Horvat, and everyone else to.   So this poor me thing about EP not getting the rejuvenated Brock is a bit of a crock.   They both played with a revolving door of wingers, split amongst them. 

IMG_3699.png

Edited by IBatch
  • MillerTime 1

51 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes 100%.  I've posted Millers minutes (the entire teams) a couple times Greens last year, Bruce bump.   Miller and Brock were frequent but hardly a commitment, Miller played with virtually everyone.   Hogs, Podz, EP, Horvat, Garland, Pearson, Brock.   EP did the same.       That year the Lotto line was terrible.    EP played with both Brock and Horvat, and everyone else to.   So this poor me thing about EP not getting the rejuvenated Brock is a bit of a crock.   They both played with a revolving door of wingers, split amongst them. 

IMG_3699.png

590 mins vs 440 mins is a pretty massive difference 

even the next forward pearson at 470 with miller is more than any other forward EP played with all season. Miller's combination of line with majority of his minutes have consistentcy either a boeser or a pearson. is there a consistentcy with any of the version of the lines EP is on? podkolzin?

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Barkov plays on his own line, Rhino this year enjoying a breakout season with Rodrigues 

MT plays with Bennet.  

Mathews often plays with Marner and Bunting 

Nylander with Tavares 

Sleeping on Robertson, Hint, Pavelski

Two line on Sens, one BT, Giroux, Stutzle and Norris. 

3 Seasons ago, Miller played with everyone and their dog (his 99 point year).   Eventually "saddled" with Boeser.   

barkov played the most minutes of anyone with reinhart this year. MT plays with verghage who's prolly better than anyone EP played with outside of boeser/miller

the stars and sens line.. again consistency and star players playing together. EP had never had that his entire career in vancouver

8 hours ago, higgyfan said:

1st post for a new member, 43 mins ago.  Thanks for dropping by.

Thank you!  

don’t get me wrong I really think Patterson is good but he is not a game breaker like Kucherov or Mackinon 

I think Miller is worth more than Patterson at this time 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

I'd wait until the end of the season and essentially if he hits 100pts and scores >PPG in the playoffs, pay him. Give him his 12M. If he's a monster and our MVP and better than JT, he maybe deserves 13M.

But more realistically, if he ends up hovering around 80-90pts and is around 0.5PPG in the playoffs, he deserves under 11M easily, probably around 10-10.5M. Maybe even a little bridge deal to kick him into shape.

I voted draft.I wouldn't pay him more than 10.5-11 million long term in Vancouver .My perfect trade scenario is Chicago wins the draft again and the Canucks trade Petey for Celebrini.Chicago has the cap room easily for 12 million or more short or long term and we all know they have that other guy for years to come.3 more years on entry level bucks.A  dream scenario I know.Not sure what other parts would be involved.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dude said:

I voted draft.I wouldn't pay him more than 10.5-11 million long term in Vancouver .My perfect trade scenario is Chicago wins the draft again and the Canucks trade Petey for Celebrini.Chicago has the cap room easily for 12 million or more short or long term and we all know they have that other guy for years to come.3 more years on entry level bucks.A  dream scenario I know.Not sure what other parts would be involved.

That's a future move - how do you replace Peteys production?

23 hours ago, Bob Long said:

That's a future move - how do you replace Peteys production?

You don't right away but Celibrini may.There is also a big cost to tieing up that much money.There are  what ,like 10 ufa's the Canucks have for next year including Hronek and Joshua.Add that to OEL buyout up to 4 million + in 2 years.Demko is up after next season as well.This is a one and done year for the team for a shot at the cup I believe.We're are hearing management is getting frustrated because they want an answer so they can figure out what their plans are for the off season.If the Canucks get bounced in the first round I could see them moving him.Personally there are games I hate his attitude.By this summer I guess this will all be sorted.We'll enjoy the team for now tho my friend.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2024 at 2:16 PM, Miss Korea said:

Elias Pettersson is one of the most intelligent hockey players in the world.  His ability to impact the game on both sides of the ice is truly a sight to behold.  I don't want to hear anyone suggesting...

"He doesn't show up"

"He only cares about himself"

"He disappears in crunch time"

"He's a me-first guy, not team-first"

Petey is not immune from criticism.  He has regressed defensively for sure.  There are absolutely things he needs to work on.  But no more of these nonsense generalities you hear from bad sports writers every day.

Trade Petey

We will be better off long term

12 million on Petey is not worth it we can find better value short and long term

Petey is inconsistent and he hasn't shown up to play in big games this year. His scoring totals this year is inflated vs. Poor defensive teams and he scores in bunches than goes missing. For example he has 6 points in last 8 games but 3 of them came in one game... 3 points in the other 7

On 2/22/2024 at 2:16 PM, Miss Korea said:

Elias Pettersson is one of the most intelligent hockey players in the world.  His ability to impact the game on both sides of the ice is truly a sight to behold.  I don't want to hear anyone suggesting...

"He doesn't show up"

"He only cares about himself"

"He disappears in crunch time"

"He's a me-first guy, not team-first"

Petey is not immune from criticism.  He has regressed defensively for sure.  There are absolutely things he needs to work on.  But no more of these nonsense generalities you hear from bad sports writers every day.

This last 2 weeks , I notice every time he is in contact, he seems to end up on ice.

prior years not being hit same amount. Is he injured?