[report] Vegas Mark Stone out for the rest of the season questionable for the playoff

Not again. It's all too convenient for this friggin team. No wonder Jack Eichel is returning because Stone will be out. Can't be THAT obvious.

This does have Guentzel to Vegas written all over it. Except does Vegas have the asset to make this trade? Who's their top prospect? They do have their first rounder in 2024 and 2025.

18 minutes ago, bhoodlum said:

I know. That's what I'm saying . The NHL needs to have the salary cap count in playoffs as well or these shenanigans will be even more prevalent. 

how can there be a salary cap when there are no salaries?

58 minutes ago, aGENT said:

In for a penny, may as well be in for a pound. At this point they may as well see if they can river boat gamble their way to another cup with this group, whatever the cost. Worry about futures, in the future.

Yeah that makes sense.  That's how they'll likely be looking at things.

I don't think it will work out well for them though.

Maybe they use the cap to take on a valuable player at an undesirable cap hit?

Improve their team without sacrificing the future type of thing.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Spleen eh?  Well, that's creative. Vegas strikes again.

Possible list of responses....

1.) What are the odds? 

2.) What happens in Vegas Stays in....

3.) If I was a betting man...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bhoodlum said:

The loophole that allows teams to put players on LTIR and then have them come back in time for the playoffs when there's no salary cap. Whether or not this is a legit injury, and it sounds like it is, the cap needs to apply to the playoffs as well. 

Cap the game lineup instead of the roster for the playoffs. Go ahead. Carry extras, but the players dressed for a given game must be cap compliant.

This would prevent a lot of this nonsense while still allowing teams to carry quality depth or injury insurance.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

What a joke. He better not play this postseason. 

New rule: players must be ready to play one week before the postseason or they are not allowed to play in the first two rounds of the playoffs.

why are we punishing people for getting injured? this is absurd. 

Screenshot_20240229-192714.thumb.png.f65881f391bf0dcd8baadd5874bc32ac.png

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Yeah that makes sense.  That's how they'll likely be looking at things.

I don't think it will work out well for them though.

Maybe they use the cap to take on a valuable player at an undesirable cap hit?

Improve their team without sacrificing the future type of thing.

tyler-myers-hockey.gif

Edited by aGENT
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, tas said:

People are joking around.
it’s  warranted given how Vegas has benefited off LTIR space in the past. 

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol this is a legit injury.. his recovery time prolly puts him in the 2nd round at least.. it's like he deliberately pick and chooses a painful injury just to circumvent the cap

Yes, but it's amazing how Stone gets injured every year around this time, only to come back and be a beast in the playoffs. Eichel is out too. What's his issue? Vegas knows how to work the rules and they take advantage of it, but every other team seems to have some honour. I suspect the league will eventually have to create a new rule (the Vegas Rule), the same way they had to change the draft rules because of EDM's tanking for 1st overall every year. 

1 hour ago, bhoodlum said:

I know. That's what I'm saying . The NHL needs to have the salary cap count in playoffs as well or these shenanigans will be even more prevalent. 

Or maybe like 50/50 somehow. Teams should be able to utilize the LTIR space but not 100% of it. Vegas shouldn't be allowd to be 20mill over the cap when the PO's roll around. thats nutz. 

24 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Or maybe like 50/50 somehow. Teams should be able to utilize the LTIR space but not 100% of it. Vegas shouldn't be allowd to be 20mill over the cap when the PO's roll around. thats nutz. 

Utilize LITR as much as you should, but cap should still count in the playoffs. Doesn't matter that they aren't getting paid any salary, like some are using as an excuse.

If you bring in someone to replace said LITR player, bueno. But when the injured player comes back, the roster needs to be compliant again.

Easy solution, just not sure which dumbasses thought it would be a good idea to let teams benefit like that in the first place. 

1 hour ago, Nucker67 said:

Yes, but it's amazing how Stone gets injured every year around this time, only to come back and be a beast in the playoffs. Eichel is out too. What's his issue? Vegas knows how to work the rules and they take advantage of it, but every other team seems to have some honour. I suspect the league will eventually have to create a new rule (the Vegas Rule), the same way they had to change the draft rules because of EDM's tanking for 1st overall every year. 

no one is stopping EP or Miller from getting a big injury and not come back till playoff. Vegas is not even that safe in the playoff race if anything missing their 2 top players combining 19.5mil replacement are not guaranteed to work just like lindholm haven't exactly worked out yet

2 hours ago, tas said:

Why do some teams add major pieces at the TDL with a main player on LTIR only to have that injured player magically be ready just in time for the playoffs? 

7 hours ago, bhoodlum said:

The loophole that allows teams to put players on LTIR and then have them come back in time for the playoffs when there's no salary cap. Whether or not this is a legit injury, and it sounds like it is, the cap needs to apply to the playoffs as well. 

Yeah I think it's the dumbest thing not to have a cap in the playoffs. It's like the league enjoys watching teams finding creative ways to circumvent the cap.