What happened to Pettersson's one timer???

Missing Episode 9 GIF by The Simpsons

When's the last time we saw Pettersson unload a one-timer blast from the right side half-wall on the PP? That has been his bread and butter for years. I can't remember the last time he even attempted one this season. I wonder if he's dealing with some sort of hand injury, or perhaps they're saving that option for the playoffs? 

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

He doesn't attempt them on the PP unless he gets the perfect pass. I've seen him set up for a one-timer countless times, only to pass it back to Hughes on the point. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Integra250 said:

When's the last time we saw Pettersson unload a one-timer blast from the right side half-wall on the PP? That has been his bread and butter for years. I can't remember the last time he even attempted one this season. I wonder if he's dealing with some sort of hand injury, or perhaps they're saving that option for the playoffs? 

I mentioned this in another thread. Rarely if ever do you see such a night & day result from a consistent star player like Petey...he's just been "off" for about 3+ weeks now. I think there's something to this, some sort of hidden injury that if other teams found out just might make him a target, so it's kept hush-hush. But Petey at 50% is still going to be better than the next man up from AHL so...we trudge along. We're in no fear of dropping off too badly as long as he's in the lineup, and I'm sure if you ask him he'd say "I wanna play" (that frigid Viking blood and all...Swedish players are tough despite what DC says).

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

I also do not get him stopping on the wall with the puck because generally once that happens and the other guy is with him he generally loses the physical match up which is why we see him on the ice trying to get up

1 hour ago, ABNuck said:

I mentioned this in another thread. Rarely if ever do you see such a night & day result from a consistent star player like Petey...he's just been "off" for about 3+ weeks now. I think there's something to this, some sort of hidden injury that if other teams found out just might make him a target, so it's kept hush-hush. But Petey at 50% is still going to be better than the next man up from AHL so...we trudge along. We're in no fear of dropping off too badly as long as he's in the lineup, and I'm sure if you ask him he'd say "I wanna play" (that frigid Viking blood and all...Swedish players are tough despite what DC says).

I think him and Huggy need to sit out a couple games before the playoffs. 

They need time to heal up. Playoffs are a beast.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Integra250 said:

saving it for the playoffs

4 hours ago, Integra250 said:

I'd say teams have learned and are just taking away his shot lane. 

I think he should just hammer it every time, with how hard he can shoot. Either it gets through to the net, or it takes a bite out of a player.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think him and Huggy need to sit out a couple games before the playoffs. 

They need time to heal up. Playoffs are a beast.

I like the idea but haven't seen what their contracts look like for bonuses (ie/ games played, points etc) so I'm sure they want to get paid. In the interest of a deep playoff push I'd hope that if the management team does shut them each down (and Demko too) then if they're close to the bonuses that they'd consider a pro-rated payout or something...some sort of incentive to sit for a couple games. Not sure how those things work and how much counts against next year's cap etc. Where's WarHippy when need to know these things huh? Isn't he the resident capologist / legal advisor here?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

I'd say teams have learned and are just taking away his shot lane. 

I think he should just hammer it every time, with how hard he can shoot. Either it gets through to the net, or it takes a bite out of a player.

Or breaks a defender’s stick which is also good.

• Upvote 1

because we have one of the most pathetic predictable powerplay in the league that was getting by because of talent and not the setup.. it's one of the slowest looking PP in the league.. look at edmonton the pace they play at on the PP? the puck is zipping all over the ice.. look at vancouver? everyone holds on to the puck takes a few second to look around to see which stationary target to pass to.. team literally just need to put a guy between EP and the net or Miller and the net don't even have to move.. shot neutralized

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, AAA said:

He doesn't attempt them on the PP unless he gets the perfect pass. I've seen him set up for a one-timer countless times, only to pass it back to Hughes on the point. 

I think some credit has to go to teams PK units and a bit of criticism to our PP unit. It has become very predictable and teams know he has the hardest slap shot on the team so they try and take the shooting lane away. .

Petey is for certain taking too long to get it off, often waiting for the 'right look' but as a player you also don't want to shoot into a player who's going to block it. So I think there's both him trying to be "too perfect" and thus hesitancy, and also good PK'ing. Now, one can argue, that hesitancy is giving the PK units time to get across. But I think its a mix

Watch next game, teams try to take that shooting lane away from him for good reason.

Edited by Bardown

20 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

because we have one of the most pathetic predictable powerplay in the league that was getting by because of talent and not the setup.. it's one of the slowest looking PP in the league.. look at edmonton the pace they play at on the PP? the puck is zipping all over the ice.. look at vancouver? everyone holds on to the puck takes a few second to look around to see which stationary target to pass to.. team literally just need to put a guy between EP and the net or Miller and the net don't even have to move.. shot neutralized

Not enough movement. Watch Toronto's PP. They have players moving, and when players like marner or nylander are moving around with the puck, other players find quiet holes to sneak into.

We seem to just move it back and forth around the umbrella from petey to quinn to miller, back to quinn, over to petey, back to quinn, and then occasionally if it gets down low try and hit Boeser in the bumper.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Bardown said:

I think some credit has to go to teams PK units and a bit of criticism to our PP unit. It has become very predictable and teams know he has the hardest slap shot on the team so they try and take the shooting lane away. .

Petey is for certain taking too long to get it off, often waiting for the 'right look' but as a player you also don't want to shoot into a player who's going to block it. So I think there's both him trying to be "too perfect" and thus hesitancy, and also good PK'ing. Now, one can argue, that hesitancy is giving the PK units time to get across. But I think its a mix

Watch next game, teams try to take that shooting lane away from him for good reason.

it's not just ep.. miller doesn't take 1 timers there's like a bunch of player on that pp that doesn't take 1 timer.. it's literally just ep or hronek so teams don't have to worry about that.. when have u seen a miller or boeser 1 timer ont he pp? like never

• Like 1

Not just Petey but a lot of our players don't take one-timers any more. That trend was hot in the 90s and early 00s but has really died off for more possession, passing, slot shots and bumper shots. Ironically we have a couple of the best one-timers in the game in Petey and Hronek but don't use them well at all. I guess they're a bit risky - good chance of flubbing the shot and less control, but I'd love to see Hronek send some bombs in from the point. He had a bunch of goals with Detroit doing just that as did Petey.

• Like 1

I agree. His one timer has been absent. As mentioned earlier of our PP being predictable; opposing teams have keyed in and made it difficult for our earlier PP system to work. You don't see Petey's one timer 'cuz opposing team's PKs have gotten more into passing lanes, and receiving a good pass to Petey to do his one timer has been limited.

Often times I thought the #2 PP unit looked better and garnered more shots, but they don't have the scorers needed to bury them like the 1st PP unit does. 

RT's thought of requiring more movement in our PP is sound and logical in the sense that it would remove the predictability that our #1 PP unit had garnered. I think it worked in that it seemingly opened up more opportunities to shoot but still, little scoring success. 

So now we try mixing the line up. Mixing up the PP line up so far hasn't netted much either. But they only just tried this mixing last game so. It's a work in process and so far hasn't really gotten results either. Still needs work!

With all this "North/South" style of play, maybe some "East/West" needs to be incorporated. I dunno. I'm no NHL guru. But on the TV screen I see the ice better than most of the players on the ice. But like I said. That don't make me an expert. Just a passionate observer.

At he end of it all, the K.I.S.S principle might be all that's needed. I mean, I like a pretty goal as much as anyone, but an ugly goal nets the same result. So with that, more shots on net, more net front presence, nice low shots from the blue line....In general. MORE SHOTS!   

20 hours ago, Integra250 said:

I've been thinking the same thing...

Is he carrying a wrist injury or something?

• Like 2