[PROPOSAL] Perfect Partner for Zadorov

I like Roy a lot.  He is a classic style 'shut-down' guy that we could use badly, plus his righ hand shot is hard to come by these days.  He is a bit older though but has shown reasonable durability in recent years.  I think 5x5 is a bit high,  LA reports I've seen indicated Blake would be overpaying on anything much more than the same contract Anderson has over there so.....maybe he gets that offer on the free market,  who knows, I just think it's about half a mil/per too much,  but as people will point out - Caps going up, right?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I like Roy a lot.  He is a classic style 'shut-down' guy that we could use badly, plus his righ hand shot is hard to come by these days.  He is a bit older though but has shown reasonable durability in recent years.  I think 5x5 is a bit high,  LA reports I've seen indicated Blake would be overpaying on anything much more than the same contract Anderson has over there so.....maybe he gets that offer on the free market,  who knows, I just think it's about half a mil/per too much,  but as people will point out - Caps going up, right?

I agree.  We'd have to overpay a bit to get him though as he'd played for LA his entire career and was drafted by them.  We have to give him a bit more and then tell him that LA is a pretender and we are a contender.  He will get top 4 minutes with us paired with Zadorov and have a chance at the cup next season and many more afterwards...

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We need to get a perfect partner for Zadorov for next season.  Hughes   Hronek is set and Soucy can play with Juulsen or another bottom pairing guy.  We need a true defensive dman to play with Zadorov so he can maximize his strength which is moving the puck up the ice.  Never seen a 6'6" 248 pound guy skate like Zadorov.  Well maybe Tryamkin, but that's another story.

Chris Tanev is the obvious choice.  But his contract demands might be too high and he's 34 years old.  Don't want to give him a long term deal.  Heck, we refused to give him a long term deal 4 years ago, so why would we do it now.  We need someone who can fit with the core and give us 4-5 years of solid defensive play.

That man is Matt Roy.  He is a UFA in the summer.  He might want a change of scenery and go to a cup contender like Vancouver.  LA isn't going anywhere with PLD.  Roy is basically a clone of Tanev, only 5 years younger.  I'd easily pony up for him.  5x5 no problem.  We need a top 4 RHD badly and Willander is still a couple of years away.  With Hronek, Roy and Willander, our right side would be set for the next 5-6 years.

Hughes          Hronek

Zadorov         Roy

Soucy            Juulsen

D-Petey         Willander

With D-Petey and Willander on the way, this defence is set up to win a cup next season plus the next several seasons as well...

Tanev already went to Dallas. 

Why would the rival Kings give us Matt Roy?  

6 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

I'm honestly not sure if 5x5 in free agency is enough.  He was one of LA's best players last year and he's done it again this year.

image.png.41e7cd3679b465e7c77d427dad6c3cf5.png

Yeah, after reviewing his card I’m thinking he’s closer to $6 million. At least as much as what Gavrikov got. 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He’s a UFA in the summer. So LA doesn’t have to give us anything. 

Oh ok, fair enough.  I thought you were talking about this season and the trade deadline.

Yes for Matt Roy, no for Tanev (too old).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah, after reviewing his card I’m thinking he’s closer to $6 million. At least as much as what Gavrikov got. 

i dont think we can afford roy unless zadorov signs for peanuts 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i dont think we can afford roy unless zadorov signs for peanuts 

I'd pay up to $10 million for both of them as our 2nd pairing.  Then go cheap on the 3rd pairing.  Soucy would be too expensive for the 3rd pairing, so hopefully D-Petey and Willander arrive soon...

• Wiener 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd pay up to $10 million for both of them as our 2nd pairing.  Then go cheap on the 3rd pairing.  Soucy would be too expensive for the 3rd pairing, so hopefully D-Petey and Willander arrive soon...

Geez you spend cap like you are the real slim petey

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

unless we move out a garland or mikheyev in the summer then ya.. soucy is way too expensive to be 3rd pairing

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He’s a UFA in the summer. So LA doesn’t have to give us anything. 

Except they have to not give him a big raise to stay in sunny LA. do we ask them to not sign him nicely? they have Cap, we do not.

Stop doing trades on playstation. Do them on cap friendly at least?

8 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

unless we move out a garland or mikheyev in the summer then ya.. soucy is way too expensive to be 3rd pairing

I'd move both of them out in order to get a legit top 4 shut down RHD for free.  That $10 million from those 2 players basically pays for Zadorov and Roy.  So we get our 2nd pairing by trading 3rd line players...

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

Except they have to not give him a big raise to stay in sunny LA. do we ask them to not sign him nicely? they have Cap, we do not.

Stop doing trades on playstation. Do them on cap friendly at least?

We have $28 million in cap space this summer, that's after signing Petey.  So we have lots of cap space.  The question is what to do with it.  IMO, signing a top 4 shut down RHD as a free agent would be at the top of my list, maybe even higher than re-signing Lindholm or Joshua...

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd move both of them out in order to get a legit top 4 shut down RHD for free.  That $10 million from those 2 players basically pays for Zadorov and Roy.  So we get our 2nd pairing by trading 3rd line players...

i would too with garland playing great in a 3rd line role we should be able to move him for free.. however mikheyev i dunno if he's movable.. you literally have to hope teams are hoping he bounce back from his knee surgery fully recovered and regaining his speed.. as much as i would love a top 4 shutdown rhd free.. i still think we need to prioritize getting a top 6 winger.. i dont see lindholm coming back unless he's signing in the 7 range.. hoglander hopefully can keep his progression from this year.. i would like them to prioritize getting a top 6 with some speed and size.. the wingers on our top 6 is kinda small.. you have suter whos not a top 6.. you have hoglander.. you have garland maybe we lack size

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We have $28 million in cap space this summer, that's after signing Petey.  So we have lots of cap space.  The question is what to do with it.  IMO, signing a top 4 shut down RHD as a free agent would be at the top of my list, maybe even higher than re-signing Lindholm or Joshua...

yeah but there is like 11 other roster spots. you wanna spend 10 mil on 2 spots? What about Hronek are you letting him walk? oh thats 8, so now yu got 10 mil for 8 spots.

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i would too with garland playing great in a 3rd line role we should be able to move him for free.. however mikheyev i dunno if he's movable.. you literally have to hope teams are hoping he bounce back from his knee surgery fully recovered and regaining his speed.. as much as i would love a top 4 shutdown rhd free.. i still think we need to prioritize getting a top 6 winger.. i dont see lindholm coming back unless he's signing in the 7 range.. hoglander hopefully can keep his progression from this year.. i would like them to prioritize getting a top 6 with some speed and size.. the wingers on our top 6 is kinda small.. you have suter whos not a top 6.. you have hoglander.. you have garland maybe we lack size

Geez yu guys already spent 10 mil on 2 dmen, 8 on hronek, who you replacing the other 8 spots with, and now you giving away garlund and Mik for nothing, but what you buying to repace them with?

2 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

yeah but there is like 11 other roster spots. you wanna spend 10 mil on 2 spots? What about Hronek are you letting him walk? oh thats 8, so now yu got 10 mil for 8 spots.

We have 13 guys signed, so that leaves $28 million for 10 spots.  I can see Podkolzin, Bains, Silovs and maybe Lekkerimaki taking 4 of those spots.  All for around $4 million.  Then you have Zadorov and Roy for another $10 million.  So that's 6 spots left with $14 million.  Hronek takes $7.5 million.  So we have 3 spots left and $6.5 million.  That may be enough for Lindholm.  So two spots left including Joshua.  IMO, I'd trade Garland to free up money for Joshua and then try and trade Mikheyev to free up the rest of the money.  

At the end of the day, re-signing Lindholm, Joshua, Hronek and Zadorov would be the priorities.  And then if we go after Roy, I'd trade Garland and/or Mikheyev to make it work...

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We have 13 guys signed, so that leaves $28 million for 10 spots.  I can see Podkolzin, Bains, Silovs and maybe Lekkerimaki taking 4 of those spots.  All for around $4 million.  Then you have Zadorov and Roy for another $10 million.  So that's 6 spots left with $14 million.  Hronek takes $7.5 million.  So we have 3 spots left and $6.5 million.  That may be enough for Lindholm.  So two spots left including Joshua.  IMO, I'd trade Garland to free up money for Joshua and then try and trade Mikheyev to free up the rest of the money.  

At the end of the day, re-signing Lindholm, Joshua, Hronek and Zadorov would be the priorities.  And then if we go after Roy, I'd trade Garland and/or Mikheyev to make it work...

ha ha ha do the math on pencil and paper tomorrow with your coffee 🙂 Im not going to put it in the forum!

And dont worry, I will be doing the same in the morning!

Edited by VintageActualCanuckfan

1 hour ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

Geez yu guys already spent 10 mil on 2 dmen, 8 on hronek, who you replacing the other 8 spots with, and now you giving away garlund and Mik for nothing, but what you buying to repace them with?

if garland and mikheyev is playing in your bottom 6.. you should be able to find players <3mil in that range to fill those holes.. we don't need 2 almost 5mil players playing bottom 6.. how much is bluegar and joshua making? bluegar pdg laffety suter.. even if u add in 2 more bottom 6.. makes less than garland and mikheyev combine.... and you can argue each of them have been as effective in their role as mikheyev and garland in the bottom 6

• Cheers 1