[PROPOSAL] Perfect Partner for Zadorov

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Zadorov was a stud again tonight. 

LMAO at people who think he is a #6 Dman. 

We definitely can't afford to pay him like a 3/4 D-man, and get Roy, and extend Hronek.  Or can we?  No way we have enough cash.  We start paying Petey and OEL too.

If this idea where to come to fruition, I’m wondering if it would be better if we saw

Hughes-Roy

Zadorov-Hronek

But, it depends on Roy’s calibre.  Is Roy a #4 guy or is a #3 calibre dman?  Would he look out of place on a top pairing?

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

If this idea where to come to fruition, I’m wondering if it would be better if we saw

Hughes-Roy

Zadorov-Hronek

But, it depends on Roy’s calibre.  Is Roy a #4 guy or is a #3 calibre dman?  Would he look out of place on a top pairing?

I am really onboard with the Nucks acquiring Roy.  I believe he's the 2nd RD after Pouty. 

Kings have their young guys, Brandt and Spence (both RDs) joining the team now.

Roy plays the kind of game that would match well with Quinn (who really doesn't need an

all-star dman partner to be effective).  Roy is also affordable for the Canucks to sign.

I have my doubts that the team will be able to sign Hronek to a new contract.  Quinn

has made him a super-star dman, so will probably want $7m or more.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I am really onboard with the Nucks acquiring Roy.  I believe he's the 2nd RD after Pouty. 

Roy plays the kind of game that would match well with Quinn (who really doesn't need an

all-star dman partner to be effective).  Roy is also affordable for the Canucks to sign.

I have my doubts that the team will be able to sign Hronek to a new contract.  Quinn

I'd pay Hronek.   We kind of do need to commit to him now since we gave up so much to get him.  

All of these years of looking for a good RHD and we finally got one.  

I'd sign all of Hronek, Bluegar, Joshua, and Zadorov.  

Walk from Myers, Cole, and Lindholm.   

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Thing about Hronek is, when he's not with Hughes, he's not a superstar defenseman, so giving him $7M+ is a mistake.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Thing about Hronek is, when he's not with Hughes, he's not a superstar defenseman, so giving him $7M+ is a mistake.

Thing about Pettersson is, when he's not with Miller, he's not a superstar forward, so giving him $11.6M+ is a mistake.   😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Thing about Pettersson is, when he's not with Miller, he's not a superstar forward, so giving him $11.6M+ is a mistake.   😛

Pettersson is going to need to be a player that carries a line now. He has no choice. 

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Same could be said for everyone on the ice. Hughes is that good 

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That's what I was alluding to.  He's a RFA, so the Canucks will offer him what they think he's

worth (knowing the Quinn effect).  It wouldn't surprise me if another team attempts to offer

sheet him.

6 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

We definitely can't afford to pay him like a 3/4 D-man, and get Roy, and extend Hronek.  Or can we?  No way we have enough cash.  We start paying Petey and OEL too.

We can do it. However, sacrifices will need to be made. Lindholm, Joshua, Garland, Mikheyev. Two of those players would have to go. 

What is the priority?  Fixing the defence for the next 5-6 years or paying multiple 3rd line wingers $5 million?  Or having a $6.5 million 3C?

We can’t keep everyone. And our biggest hole IMO is a top 4 shut down RHD. Unless Tanev takes a huge discount to come back, we will need to get rid of some of the expensive forwards. 

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hronek is a bit of an adventure in his own end. 

He can be at times yeah but it’s funny because he’s still pretty good too compared to what we’ve indured defensively the past few years. Still the best RH all around we’ve had in years 

Edited by Devron

19 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Pettersson is going to need to be a player that carries a line now. He has no choice. 

Pettersson has definitely shown an ability to do so (i.e. first 10 games of this season + second half of 21/22 season as examples), but he needs to be more consistent in doing so. He tends to lose confidence too quickly and then disappears for large stretches. Hopefully, this changes over time. The talent is clearly there but the grapefruits are not from what I see. Just keeping it real.  

Edited by Jeremy Hronek

6 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Pettersson has definitely shown an ability to do so (i.e. first 10 games of this season + second half of 21/22 season as examples), but he needs to be more consistent in doing so. He tends to lose confidence too quickly and then disappears for large stretches. Hopefully, this changes over time. The talent is clearly there but the grapefruits are not from what I see. Just keeping it real.  

For sure. I hope for the best with him. 

• Cheers 1

He might not be "perfect" but I actually like Myers with Zadorov.  I think that Myers isn't nearly as bad as people think, although I can accept that he's over-paid.  If we can get him to take a haircut, I'm OK with keeping him.  Unleash the twin towers.  GCG!

Yeah really like Roy, I'd jump all over him in the off-season, give him 5-6M we probably don't have anyway. Zadorov can be an excellent defenceman but does have lapses sometimes so Roy would really elevate his game and calm him down. Tanev will probably be cheaper, say at 3-4M, but I'd rather we invest and get a solid top-4 guy who can play 20 minutes, replace Myers and Cole's minutes well under Hronek.

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - Roy

Soucy - Juulsen/whoever (placeholder for Willander)

Give Roy 5 years and we've got our D sorted for a while.

On 3/3/2024 at 12:22 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

We need to get a perfect partner for Zadorov for next season.  Hughes   Hronek is set and Soucy can play with Juulsen or another bottom pairing guy.  We need a true defensive dman to play with Zadorov so he can maximize his strength which is moving the puck up the ice.  Never seen a 6'6" 248 pound guy skate like Zadorov.  Well maybe Tryamkin, but that's another story.

Chris Tanev is the obvious choice.  But his contract demands might be too high and he's 34 years old.  Don't want to give him a long term deal.  Heck, we refused to give him a long term deal 4 years ago, so why would we do it now.  We need someone who can fit with the core and give us 4-5 years of solid defensive play.

That man is Matt Roy.  He is a UFA in the summer.  He might want a change of scenery and go to a cup contender like Vancouver.  LA isn't going anywhere with PLD.  Roy is basically a clone of Tanev, only 5 years younger.  I'd easily pony up for him.  5x5 no problem.  We need a top 4 RHD badly and Willander is still a couple of years away.  With Hronek, Roy and Willander, our right side would be set for the next 5-6 years.

Hughes          Hronek

Zadorov         Roy

Soucy            Juulsen

D-Petey         Willander

With D-Petey and Willander on the way, this defence is set up to win a cup next season plus the next several seasons as well...

I hope this happens. It’s a great idea.

Roy and Bertuzzi to Vancouver in my opinion.

• Cheers 1

On 3/5/2024 at 12:22 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Yeah really like Roy, I'd jump all over him in the off-season, give him 5-6M we probably don't have anyway. Zadorov can be an excellent defenceman but does have lapses sometimes so Roy would really elevate his game and calm him down. Tanev will probably be cheaper, say at 3-4M, but I'd rather we invest and get a solid top-4 guy who can play 20 minutes, replace Myers and Cole's minutes well under Hronek.

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - Roy

Soucy - Juulsen/whoever (placeholder for Willander)

Give Roy 5 years and we've got our D sorted for a while.

This defensive core would be better than what we have now. I hope this happens.

Edited by J-23

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, HKSR said:

Hold up... didn't read through all the replies here, but has the question been asked... "Why would LAK not re-sign Roy?"

They have $22 million in cap space and need to sign 11 guys.  Byfield is due a big raise and they need a goalie.  They could possibly squeeze Roy in there too, but if he wants $5 million, it will be tight.  They are in the same situation as we are really.  I don't think they will be able to re-sign all of their free agents...

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They have $22 million in cap space and need to sign 11 guys.  Byfield is due a big raise and they need a goalie.  They could possibly squeeze Roy in there too, but if he wants $5 million, it will be tight.  They are in the same situation as we are really.  I don't think they will be able to re-sign all of their free agents...

I think they'd still prioritize re-signing Byfield and Roy, then fill out the rest of the roster with low paid guys.  TBH, when you look at all the other guys they gotta re-sign, they're all pretty much $1M or less in terms of cap hit. But I guess with Clarke waiting for an opportunity they might let Roy walk to give Clarke the opportunity. 

• Cheers 1

Roy or Tanev. The pairing would probably cost us 10M though, that seems like a lot.

Boy I'd love to go after Skeij or Pesce or Hanifin if any of them are available with Lindholm/Cole/Myers money and have a top heavy defence. One of those big fish + Hughes/Hronek then we maybe even let Zadorov walk, Soucy nails the bottom pairing and then we just get cheap guys/AHLers <1M to round it all out. 

I'd decimate our forward group to make this happen though:

Hughes - Hronek
Skeij - Zadorov

Soucy - Juulsen

7M for Hronek and Skeij, 4.5M for Zadorov

Let Cole, Myers, Lindholm walk

Flip Mikheyev
Make it happen

Thin up top, long at the back like a mullet of a team.