Filip Hronek | #17 | RD

-AJ-

Hronek jumps into 193rd in all-time Canuck scoring with his assist tonight.

192 Yannick Weber D 159 17 21 38
193 Filip Hronek D 52 3 35 38
194  Mark Kirton C 119 23 14 37
195  Ron Delorme C 210 17 20 37
196  Josh Leivo LW 85 17 20 37
197  Brian Noonan RW 98 14 23 37
198 Marek Malik D 147 10 27 37

• 3 weeks later...

I would put Hronek forward as the Canucks unsung hero.  He is an incredible compliment to Hughes and I think they both make each other better.

I don't think Hronek gets the credit he deserves for the Canucks success this year.  Every time I watch him, I am amazed at his skating, positioning, passing, and how hard he works to shut down offensive opportunities. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Talk about him getting over 8M for his next deal. I get the hype but he's looked bad of late and has really been complementing Hughes (I wouldn't say Hughes is carrying him as such). To get 7+ mil today you really need to run the pairing, not be the second best defenceman on the pairing.

It's interesting seeing Tocchet split the two of them - Hronek didn't look very good on his own. Let's not forget what Hronek is - a solid two way top-4 20 minute young RD with a boomer of a slapshot which isn't getting used as much as it should, a great first passer and decent physically. He's been making mistakes all over the ice of late. That OT goal against Pittsburgh was disgusting on his behalf, the puck spun him right around. 8M defencemen don't do that.

I think we should be happy with 7-7.5M for him. He's a great defenceman but put him on a pairing by himself with say Soucy or Zadorov even, two decent defencemen, and he's be swimming. Meanwhile, play anyone with Hughes and they become monsters because most of the time they're just passing it around the offensive zone.

• ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Talk about him getting over 8M for his next deal. I get the hype but he's looked bad of late and has really been complementing Hughes (I wouldn't say Hughes is carrying him as such). To get 7+ mil today you really need to run the pairing, not be the second best defenceman on the pairing.

It's interesting seeing Tocchet split the two of them - Hronek didn't look very good on his own. Let's not forget what Hronek is - a solid two way top-4 20 minute young RD with a boomer of a slapshot which isn't getting used as much as it should, a great first passer and decent physically. He's been making mistakes all over the ice of late. That OT goal against Pittsburgh was disgusting on his behalf, the puck spun him right around. 8M defencemen don't do that.

I think we should be happy with 7-7.5M for him. He's a great defenceman but put him on a pairing by himself with say Soucy or Zadorov even, two decent defencemen, and he's be swimming. Meanwhile, play anyone with Hughes and they become monsters because most of the time they're just passing it around the offensive zone.

He's not really worth more than $6.5M per year. He gets caught out of position too often. Paying him anything over $6.5 is a mistake.

• Thanks 1

I was in the boat of $7-$8M for Hronek early in the year, with the possibility of more if he did actually score 70+ points. As it is, he's on a much more modest pace for 58 points. His defense is acceptable, but you do have to wonder how much his success is due to playing with Hughes. Because of that potential factor, I might rather err on the low side of the $7M range on a 5-7 year deal maybe.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 10:01 AM, -AJ- said:

I was in the boat of $7-$8M for Hronek early in the year, with the possibility of more if he did actually score 70+ points. As it is, he's on a much more modest pace for 58 points. His defense is acceptable, but you do have to wonder how much his success is due to playing with Hughes. Because of that potential factor, I might rather err on the low side of the $7M range on a 5-7 year deal maybe.

I think he could be had for $6.6M for 5. 

7x7 would be nice and I think Allvin is focussing on Hronek next which is smart. I know we can wait until the off-season but would be nice to ink one more guy here, especially because you know they're going to be active at the TDL, probably find another rental and it'll make things interesting for next year. Also, these playoffs will be a bit of an audition for who gets to stay and go next year. Hronek is obviously a lock but guys like Zadorov, Myers and Cole are all up in the air.

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

7x7 would be nice and I think Allvin is focussing on Hronek next which is smart. I know we can wait until the off-season but would be nice to ink one more guy here, especially because you know they're going to be active at the TDL, probably find another rental and it'll make things interesting for next year. Also, these playoffs will be a bit of an audition for who gets to stay and go next year. Hronek is obviously a lock but guys like Zadorov, Myers and Cole are all up in the air.

If Zadorov's contract demands are reasonable , IMO, he is the most likely one to stay. I think both Myers and Cole would have to take a pay cut to be on the team next year

2 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

If Zadorov's contract demands are reasonable , IMO, he is the most likely one to stay. I think both Myers and Cole would have to take a pay cut to be on the team next year

I think Myer's will. He bleeds blue n green and he knows he didn't live up to his last deal. I could see him taking a very team friendly deal to retire a canuck. 

Cole is a luxury we can't afford and really has no reason to stay if he can get more money elsewhere. 

Hopefully Hronek comes in at 7.8 or less. He's been fantastic with hughes but so is everyone. Not spectacular away from huggy though.   Cole Hronek have been nothing to write home about. I guess in an extremely small sample Soucy Hronek were pretty good. 

I would love to see us able to bring Huggy's mins down if Hronek could carry his own pairing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

I think Myer's will. He bleeds blue n green and he knows he didn't live up to his last deal. I could see him taking a very team friendly deal to retire a canuck. 

Cole is a luxury we can't afford and really has no reason to stay if he can get more money elsewhere. 

Hopefully Hronek comes in at 7.8 or less. He's been fantastic with hughes but so is everyone. Not spectacular away from huggy though.   Cole Hronek have been nothing to write home about. I guess in an extremely small sample Soucy Hronek were pretty good. 

I would love to see us able to bring Huggy's mins down if Hronek could carry his own pairing. 

I think Myers agent already said no to the discount thing.  He's looking for 5 million per, 4 years.

Edited by Iron Fist
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Iron Fist said:

I think Myers agent already said no to the discount thing.  He's looking for 5 million per, 4 years.

lol any GM who signs him to that deal should be fired on the spot.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

lol any GM who signs him to that deal should be fired on the spot.

This is what Jets fanbase used to say 6 years ago. And we signed him to a 6 year deal. anything is possible.

3 minutes ago, Iron Fist said:

This is what Jets fanbase used to say 6 years ago. And we signed him to a 6 year deal. anything is possible.

It was a five year deal, but yeah, maybe. That said you're talking about a 34-year old defenseman who's largely been trending downwards over the last five years. He likely won't even be in the NHL anymore by 38 years old, at the end of what would be a four year deal. I can see someone offering him maybe $4M, but four years is crazy for that price for a 34-year old guy. We signed a 29-year old Myers, who, in theory, still had some of his prime years left.

Hronek at 7 million or less for 5-7 years is fine. I can live with that even if I think closer to the 6 million range is more his actual value. 

Meyers I feel like they'll resign. Seems like the coach likes him, Miller likes him and he's played fine this year. Maybe give him like 3 years at 2.75 million. I wonder if he'd be interested in something like that. 

Cole is another solid dude, but wouldn't want to pay more then 3 million again and nothing more then 2 years. Also likely gotta just take one between Cole and Meyers. 

I hope they can sign Zad. Give him some term and maybe get him for a little under $4 mil. He really is best as a number 5 guy (maybe 4 on a good day or with the right partner). His physicality and size will get him more then he's actual value should be. 

26 minutes ago, Iron Fist said:

looking for and getting are 2 different things. "IF" he's offered that sure maybe it's bye bye Myers I perfer to believe his heart is here and this is just posturing. His family is here he lives here and realistically who the F is giving him that? It won't be us. If he wishes to go he can. If he wishes to stay we will see a much lower number. 

1 minute ago, Hammertime said:

looking for and getting are 2 different things. "IF" he's offered that sure maybe it's bye bye Myers I perfer to believe his heart is here and this is just posturing. His family is here he lives here and realistically who the F is giving him that? It won't be us. If he wishes to go he can. If he wishes to stay we will see a much lower number. 

I can definitely see him getting offered multi year deals above $ 4m per season come Free Agency.

I bet Vancouver is serious and will stay in the picture if they are open to a multi year deal at 4."something" million per. Sounds high but that is the reality of UFA season. I just don't see a scenario where he foregoes millions per to remain in Vancouver, he is worth more than the under 3m many people seem to think he should settle for. 

3 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I can definitely see him getting offered multi year deals above $ 4m per season come Free Agency.

I bet Vancouver is serious and will stay in the picture if they are open to a multi year deal at 4."something" million per. Sounds high but that is the reality of UFA season. I just don't see a scenario where he foregoes millions per to remain in Vancouver, he is worth more than the under 3m many people seem to think he should settle for. 

youre talking about Myers still, right?

Man.

The guy wants to be in Vancouver. This is his competition for the spot, why wouldnt he take a league minimum for 4 years to stay in BC?

As teams continue to scour the market for right-shot defensemen, sounds like #Canes have set the ask at a 5th round pick for Tony DeAngelo and they will retain 50 percent to make it happen ($837,500).