Filip Hronek | #17 | RD

-AJ-

1 minute ago, canucks curse said:

I was shocked when he got him, I thought he was a DET untouchable.... 

To be fair, we paid up quite a bit to get him, a 1st and a 2nd. Still, it looks like it was worth it, at least for now.

3 hours ago, SnakeDoctor said:

It’s time for me to eat my words. At first I disliked this trade. Now it looks brilliant. 

I think part of it is that we're still so traumatized from the Benning regime's dogshit pro scouting that we just expected the move to be a failure right off the bat. Allvin's pro scouting seems to be quite good. 

4 hours ago, SnakeDoctor said:

It’s time for me to eat my words. At first I disliked this trade. Now it looks brilliant. 

Goes to show that just because Yzerman trades away a player, it's not some silly 4d chess nonsense that some people seemed to want to think. lol

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

We've got a real Makar - Toews pairing on our hands right now and you can see how they got so strong last year. Hronek could easily run a pairing by himself but together, they're dynamite. 

My worry here is...what is he going to re-sign for? Surely having the captain at 7M means no one can dare ask for more on defence? I wonder if we can cut him down to 6-6.5M but realistically he deserves a cold hard 7M for what he's done so far.

Quinn is IMO hands-down the best player in the world right now the way Makar was not long ago so to have someone like that tied up so cheaply, it really sets the tone for the rest of the team (cough Leafs cough).

I'm pretty sure they'd have already thought of things like this, perhaps even before the trade took place. It's not like they have cap experts or anything. :classic_rolleyes:

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

We've got a real Makar - Toews pairing on our hands right now and you can see how they got so strong last year. Hronek could easily run a pairing by himself but together, they're dynamite. 

My worry here is...what is he going to re-sign for? Surely having the captain at 7M means no one can dare ask for more on defence? I wonder if we can cut him down to 6-6.5M but realistically he deserves a cold hard 7M for what he's done so far.

Quinn is IMO hands-down the best player in the world right now the way Makar was not long ago so to have someone like that tied up so cheaply, it really sets the tone for the rest of the team (cough Leafs cough).

That's not the way it works. Players are looking for fair market value today, not what it was when someone else signed their deal.

For example: McKinnion was making $6.3 million per year when Rantanen signed his new contract at $9.25 million a year.  

Hell, even Makar resigned for 9 million per year while their Captain (McKinnion) was still making $6.3 (at the time) 

Hughes and Hronek are so good together, it's hard to split them up. They've both stated they've never played with such a great D partner.

They have high praise for each other and it's helping them to take their games to another level. 

The problem is the longer they play together the more unaffordable resigning them will be. As much as I hate the thought of it, they should

separate them and see if Hronek can be as successful without Hughes, and vice versa. They can always put them back together if their play suffers.

It might help the Canucks when it comes time to negotiate a new contract.       

11 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

That's not the way it works. Players are looking for fair market value today, not what it was when someone else signed their deal.

For example: McKinnion was making $6.3 million per year when Rantanen signed his new contract at $9.25 million a year.  

Hell, even Makar resigned for 9 million per year while their Captain (McKinnion) was still making $6.3 (at the time) 

Hughes and Hronek are so good together, it's hard to split them up. They've both stated they've never played with such a great D partner.

They have high praise for each other and it's helping them to take their games to another level. 

The problem is the longer they play together the more unaffordable resigning them will be. As much as I hate the thought of it, they should

separate them and see if Hronek can be as successful without Hughes, and vice versa. They can always put them back together if their play suffers.

It might help the Canucks when it comes time to negotiate a new contract.       

If winning a CUP is more important than maximizing earnings then maybe players will consider that when they sign new deals. Edmonton and the Laffers show the downside risk. I thin it was iBatch who suggested a % of the CAP as a yardstick for determining contracts. ie the most valuable player gets 12% and a gradual decline from there. At a $84 mil CAP does that mean Petey and Huggy will sign for roughly $10 mil. In today's NHL mindset they won't but you know that winning for these 2 is a high priority. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

If winning a CUP is more important than maximizing earnings then maybe players will consider that when they sign new deals. Edmonton and the Laffers show the downside risk. I thin it was iBatch who suggested a % of the CAP as a yardstick for determining contracts. ie the most valuable player gets 12% and a gradual decline from there. At a $84 mil CAP does that mean Petey and Huggy will sign for roughly $10 mil. In today's NHL mindset they won't but you know that winning for these 2 is a high priority. 

Agreed but when negotiating new contracts THEIR AGENTS are factoring in the growth of the salary CAP. It's been stagnant for the past 3 years and hasn't moved much while the players repay the escrow money lost from the Covid seasons. They know (or strongly believe) that it will increase $4 million-ish for the next 2-3 seasons at least. So (I believe) they're factoring in the growth of the cap over the life of a new contract.   

I think that's why you're seeing some younger players taking shorter-term contacts in the 3-5 year range.  JM2cents though.

Personally, It wouldn't shock me if someone like Hronek or Pettersson looked at signing something in the 3-5 year range.

It would put their next contract age somewhere between 27-29 and they could look to sign a retirement contract, kinda like Miller.

If the team is a playoff regular or playoff contender they probably resign again, if not they look to play for a contender for their last chance at winning a cup.   

• Cheers 1

I hope Hronek sees that some of his current success is due to playing with Hughes...and vice versa.

If he were playing with anyone else (on the Canucks) his stats probably wouldn't be as good as they are.

The way they're playing together is setting both players up to have career years, More importantly, they really seem to enjoy playing together.

Will he take a LITTLE less to play with Hughes and perhaps have a chance at a Cup? I certainly hope so, but won't hold my breath. LOL

1 minute ago, Blitz-Pix said:

I hope Hronek sees that some of his current success is due to playing with Hughes...and vice versa.

If he were playing with anyone else (on the Canucks) his stats probably wouldn't be as good as they are.

The way they're playing together is setting both players up to have career years, More importantly, they really seem to enjoy playing together.

Will he take a LITTLE less to play with Hughes and perhaps have a chance at a Cup? I certainly hope so, but won't hold my breath. LOL

seems like a pretty good reason for us to go get another top-4 RHD

splitting hughes-hronek up would not only give us better balance but probably save us a truckload on his contract

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, soggy said:

seems like a pretty good reason for us to go get another top-4 RHD

splitting hughes-hronek up would not only give us better balance but probably save us a truckload on his contract

As much as I enjoy seeing them play together...Truer words have never been spoken. LOL

Hopefully, the Canucks can find someone with a year (or 2) left on their contract. I think we have some suitable players (prospects) in our system that 

fill our needs in the not-to-distant future. D-Petey, Willander, Hunter, Kirill, McWard, Hirose and so on. They may need another year or 2 but will be on

cost-controlled ELC's when they're ready.

The last thing I want to see is Mgmt go out and sign a mid level (3rd or 4th) D-man to big money ($3-4 million) to a long-term contract

and block out our top prospects. 

I don't think they'll all hit... but all we need is 1 or 2 to make it and perform well and we're in good shape, positionally and financially.      

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

As much as I enjoy seeing them play together...Truer words have never been spoken. LOL

Hopefully, the Canucks can find someone with a year (or 2) left on their contract. I think we have some suitable players (prospects) in our system that 

fill our needs in the not-to-distant future. D-Petey, Willander, Hunter, Kirill, McWard, Hirose and so on. They may need another year or 2 but will be on

cost-controlled ELC's when they're ready.

The last thing I want to see is Mgmt go out and sign a mid level (3rd or 4th) D-man to big money ($3-4 million) to a long-term contract

and block out our top prospects. 

I don't think they'll all hit... but all we need is 1 or 2 to make it and perform well and we're in good shape, positionally and financially.      

completely agree

id be happy if they can go and find someone already under contract through 2027-2028, cost controlled. we just need to make it to the other side of that disgusting 4 million dollar OEL cap penalty. 

i know zach whitecloud would be expensive to aquire because of his contract, but thats exactly the kind of player and contract we have to go after if we wanna make it through the worst OEL penalty years

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Agreed but when negotiating new contracts THEIR AGENTS are factoring in the growth of the salary CAP. It's been stagnant for the past 3 years and hasn't moved much while the players repay the escrow money lost from the Covid seasons. They know (or strongly believe) that it will increase $4 million-ish for the next 2-3 seasons at least. So (I believe) they're factoring in the growth of the cap over the life of a new contract.   

I think that's why you're seeing some younger players taking shorter-term contacts in the 3-5 year range.  JM2cents though.

Personally, It wouldn't shock me if someone like Hronek or Pettersson looked at signing something in the 3-5 year range.

It would put their next contract age somewhere between 27-29 and they could look to sign a retirement contract, kinda like Miller.

If the team is a playoff regular or playoff contender they probably resign again, if not they look to play for a contender for their last chance at winning a cup.   

I can't speak to specific numbers but we hear that NHL attendance is down. People are hurting economically and not able to afford tickets. 2024 is labelled a recession year. NHL GM's will have to consider little to no CAP growth as they sign contracts. Your point about players taking shorter term is bang on. 

• Cheers 1

After his bomb yesterday, I wonder if putting Hronek over Kuz for PP 1 could be good. With Hronek blasting 100mph shots from the left hand side, and Petey and Miller capable of blasting one-timers from the right, it could really spread out the coverage. 

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, KesLord said:

After his bomb yesterday, I wonder if putting Hronek over Kuz for PP 1 could be good. With Hronek blasting 100mph shots from the left hand side, and Petey and Miller capable of blasting one-timers from the right, it could really spread out the coverage. 

I think it could work amazingly well...but despite that, Hughes is even better.

I also like the idea of both Hughes and Hronek on PP1, but that does leave PP2 probably with Myers, which is a significant downgrade. Hronek alone turns PP2 into a threat. Astonishing to have two elite PP quarterbacks.

50 minutes ago, KesLord said:

Better Hronek firing bombs rather than Meyers. You know Meyers will hit one of our guys. 

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm cherry picking this stat a bit, but Hronek's cooled off a bit lately. Just two assists in his last 8 games. Not so great for the team for now, but if he only finishes with 55-65 points instead of 70+, that will make his next contract much more manageable.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm cherry picking this stat a bit, but Hronek's cooled off a bit lately. Just two assists in his last 8 games. Not so great for the team for now, but if he only finishes with 55-65 points instead of 70+, that will make his next contract much more manageable.

giphy.gif.fa48683455294c5a6284ed81d3eb5157.gif

On 1/3/2024 at 12:28 AM, -AJ- said:

This is the strategy and the plan. lol. 

55-65 points is still good for a defenseman. But if his contract could be not as crazy, that would benefit the team moving forward. 

• Upvote 1

After going cold for a while, Hronek now has 7 points in his last 4 games (1G, 6A). He's back on pace for 70 points and is at a very high +32.

• Vintage 1