Filip Hronek | #17 | RD

-AJ-

3 minutes ago, dannydog said:

Anyone have updates on what was offered to hronek as contract extensions go. Any reply’s from players agent?

Allvin only said the club made an offer they believed fair. Everything else is only speculation 

• Thanks 1

On 3/5/2024 at 2:39 PM, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I can definitely see him getting offered multi year deals above $ 4m per season come Free Agency.

I bet Vancouver is serious and will stay in the picture if they are open to a multi year deal at 4."something" million per. Sounds high but that is the reality of UFA season. I just don't see a scenario where he foregoes millions per to remain in Vancouver, he is worth more than the under 3m many people seem to think he should settle for. 

You're right.  There are multiple teams who would pay the Chaos Giraffe $4M+ for multiple seasons.  Myers has been deployed the 3rd most minutes throughout his tenure with the Canucks despite that most people consider him to be 3rd pair quality.  That may be true but he's going to market himself as a top 4 RHD.  

I think that there may be a place for Myers on the Canucks until Willander is ready to make the jump to the NHL.  We'll see how his development goes but he may be 2 more full seasons before he is ready for the NHL and 1 full season as a 3rd pair D.  Could Juulsen fill the 2nd pair RHD hole?

The choice that Allvin has to make is whether the Devil he knows (Myers) is better than the Devil he doesn't know.  Would he sign for 3 x $4M?  Or try him with a lower offer.  In 3 years, Myers will be 37.  He could let him go to free agency, no salary retained or taken back, $6M free cap space.  That looks pretty attractive too

On 3/12/2024 at 7:52 PM, Alflives said:

Allvin only said the club made an offer they believed fair. Everything else is only speculation 

Seeing articles saying team wants under 7 and player wants sergechevs 8.5.  

Personally think Devon Toews at 7.25 should be the comparable with how Makar and Hughes are compared. 

7 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Good enough of an indication for me! Let's see if we can get this done. Patrick / Jim. The team needs what the team needs !!

GJSe5_uWAAAvNVM?format=jpg&name=small

I wonder if we see any offer sheets this year. There are some very good players on that list.

15 hours ago, -dlc- said:

this is completely off topic but his dog reminds me of Tyler Foli when I ran into him in a pet store in yaletown. It was during his hot streak and the only thing I thought to say was “holy fuck you’re killing it buddy” 

Slowed down to a pace of just over 50 points now. Feels like $6.5M might actually be the perfect number. Back when I felt he could score 60-65 points, I was on board for $7.5, but if he's only a 50-point guy, even playing with Hughes, I question if he's worth much more than $6.5M. Maybe in the high $6M range.

18 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Slowed down to a pace of just over 50 points now. Feels like $6.5M might actually be the perfect number. Back when I felt he could score 60-65 points, I was on board for $7.5, but if he's only a 50-point guy, even playing with Hughes, I question if he's worth much more than $6.5M. Maybe in the high $6M range.

Well, I think that depends on what the starting offer was that was rejected. I've heard that it might have been around the 6-6.5 range whereas Hronek's agent is more around the 8mil mark. Obviously, Canucks are going to start low and Hronek's going to start high. 

That being said, I wouldn't take those numbers seriously. There's going to be a lot of speculation out there and some of it's going to be incorrect, including potentially the above numbers. lol

He was offered 6.5 million and turned it down:

‘Luke Fox of Sportsnet recently highlighted the latest speculation surrounding the top 12 restricted free agents for the upcoming summer. In that report, he notes that the Vancouver Canucks made a significant offer to defenseman Filip Hronek, proposing an eight-year, $52 million contract extension ($6.5 million average annual value). However, Hronek’s representatives turned down this proposal.

The belief in Hronek’s camp is that he can get more than that in free agency, but the Canucks aim to maintain Hronek’s salary below Quinn Hughes’ $7.85 million AAV. There is some thought that the Canucks will come up as high as the $7 million mark per season, but anything beyond that could be problematic. Friedman noted that the “sweet spot” for Hronek is probably $7.5 million at maximum. He added, “I think there’s a deal to be made there.”

The defenseman is having a career season, but his production has dipped over the past 30 games.”

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

‘Luke Fox of Sportsnet recently highlighted the latest speculation surrounding the top 12 restricted free agents for the upcoming summer. In that report, he notes that the Vancouver Canucks made a significant offer to defenseman Filip Hronek, proposing an eight-year, $52 million contract extension ($6.5 million average annual value). However, Hronek’s representatives turned down this proposal.

The belief in Hronek’s camp is that he can get more than that in free agency, but the Canucks aim to maintain Hronek’s salary below Quinn Hughes’ $7.85 million AAV. There is some thought that the Canucks will come up as high as the $7 million mark per season, but anything beyond that could be problematic. Friedman noted that the “sweet spot” for Hronek is probably $7.5 million at maximum. He added, “I think there’s a deal to be made there.”

The defenseman is having a career season, but his production has dipped over the past 30 games.”

Trade him then.  

Do NOT allow him to railroad management or the cap.  He has not proven he is capable of what he has accomplished this year alone without Hughes; suggesting he IS a passenger as much as a true #3 and until he does he is absolutely not worth more than $6.75 million.

He could easily be as much an Ehrhoff as he could be a Toews and if he wants to play hard maximize his value and ship him off.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

Thanks. I heard somewhere on talk radio that Hronek is asking for a number that starts with 8 and the Canucks don't want to go over 7.

To me, the issue is not so much that Hronek has "slowed down". The issue is that everyone looks good when playing Hughes and not as good otherwise. And we have seen that this year with Hronek. When the Canucks have tried to get Hronek to "drive" his own pairing the results have been only fair. Personally I would not go over 7 for Hronek and even that number is probably high.

If he insists on more than 7 I would trade him. There are probably several UFA RD's who would like to sign with the Canucks for the chance to play with Hughes on affordable deals (like Tanev?) A line-up on the right side of two guys at about the level of Tanev along with maybe Myers (and Juulsen as the extra) would probably be a slight improvement on this year.

I also would not mind a shorter term deal, but he probably would not go for that as I am sure his agent realizes that he is having a career year and this is the time to cash in. If he has to play without Hughes for a year I think his value will fall sharply.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dannydog said:

Management need to  ensure Hronek can carry a pairing first before offering him anything around 7+ milx8. Riding Hughes coattails is not a true measure for such a contract.

Experimenting with Hronek at this point might be a tad reckless with the playoffs around

the corner.

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Experimenting with Hronek at this point might be a tad reckless with the playoffs around

the corner.

I do believe with the limited TOI hronek had carrying a pairing throughout this year is why management tabled this first offer. Stats show Hronek paired with Hughes was elevated,yet dropped off drastically paired with others where as Hughes stayed consistent playing with others. Especially in the last 20 games. Hannifans new contract will play a big part in hronek s new deal.

3 hours ago, dannydog said:

I do believe with the limited TOI hronek had carrying a pairing throughout this year is why management tabled this first offer. Stats show Hronek paired with Hughes was elevated,yet dropped off drastically paired with others where as Hughes stayed consistent playing with others. Especially in the last 20 games. Hannifans new contract will play a big part in hronek s new deal.

There's no point in comparing Hronek's stats with Hughes'; they will never reach Quinn's effort, no

matter who his partner is.

Hughes already stated how fantastic it is having a partner that has Hronek's skill level; something

he's never experienced (not in the NHL anyway).  That is not to say he's better than Hanafin though.

The problem is that the NHL does not have parity for clubs that are in States/Provinces that have

higher (than average) taxes.  Nevada doesn't have income taxes, so players will sign for less $, but

will receive the same amount that they would end up with in taxable situations.  Cost of living is

much cheaper as well, which can also reflect in their yearly income.

I would be happy to see Hronek with around $7mx8yr, but I'm not feeling confidant that will happen.

• 1 month later...