I thought Hoglander was going to set a record...

8 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Sigh.  It is criminal that the coaches don't even give him a look on the power play.  You would think that someone who is strong on the puck and excellent at cycling down low is a prime option for our PP.  The dude is a finisher in tight spaces.  Imagine what he can do with more space and more time.

Over Mikheyev?!

Come on now, don't be silly. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Sigh.  It is criminal that the coaches don't even give him a look on the power play.  You would think that someone who is strong on the puck and excellent at cycling down low is a prime option for our PP.  The dude is a finisher in tight spaces.  Imagine what he can do with more space and more time.

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Over Mikheyev?!

Come on now, don't be silly. 

Now just imagine how John Wensink and his fans felt after scoring 28 even strength.

Nice little record for Wensink.  Legendary depth guy for those Bruins...I think he was one of Don Cherry's eleven 20 goal scorers that one season.

As for Brent Ashton...great player that we traded away very early.  He went on to have a great career.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

He could easily have 30 goals by now if he got any PP time. I’m not sure what more he has to do to get some. 

40 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Nice little record for Wensink.  Legendary depth guy for those Bruins...I think he was one of  Don Cherry's eleven 20 goal scorers that one season.

As for Brent Ashton...great player that we traded away very early.  He went on to have a great career.

That is one stat I always look for during a year.  How many guys on a team are on pace for 20.  Like Cherry said that might be an unbreakable record.
Everyone on the first three lines and your top two D need to do it.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

14 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

He has been on the powerplay lately?

And then there is this:  By the time you get to top 50, it goes down to 40 even strength goals.   This is a non-record that doesn't need a lot of attention.   Yes it's great he's doing so well.  

IMG_3754.png

Edited by IBatch

On 3/5/2024 at 8:17 PM, DANJR said:

That is one stat I always look for during a year.  How many guys on a team are on pace for 20.  Like Cherry said that might be an unbreakable record.
Everyone on the first three lines and your top two D need to do it.

How often does a defenseman score 20 goals these days ... not very.   Yes it's an incredible record, that has stood the test of time.    These days it's hard to create a top six with 6 20 goal scorers.    Recent past,  Burns and EK maybe had a shot at 2 20 goal D's in SJ.    QH's can get there one day... 

• Like 1

That is a pretty meaningless stat as it is dependent on the team situation and not the player.

We have better players who would play his role on the PP so he just doesn’t get time there.  

• ThereItIs 1

On 3/10/2024 at 10:49 AM, Provost said:

That is a pretty meaningless stat as it is dependent on the team situation and not the player.

We have better players who would play his role on the PP so he just doesn’t get time there.  

Do we though? He's 4th on the team in goals and tied for 7th on the team in points (5th among forwards) despite averaging the lowest ice-time on the team other than Aman. I think he's more than earned the opportunity.

3 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Do we though? He's 4th on the team in goals and tied for 7th on the team in points (5th among forwards) despite averaging the lowest ice-time on the team other than Aman. I think he's more than earned the opportunity.

The times he has moved up the lineup he hasn’t produced at that rate.

As it turns out, playing against 4th lines give you an advantage.  That was really the secret sauce for team success earlier in the season.

Our top two lines are defensively good enough take the toughest match ups head to head instead of having checking lines.  That left the Garland and Hoglander lines to feast on lower opposition and bottom D pairings.

As soon as some injuries hit and we didn’t have that depth you could see the negative impact it had.

2 hours ago, Provost said:

The times he has moved up the lineup he hasn’t produced at that rate.

As it turns out, playing against 4th lines give you an advantage.  That was really the secret sauce for team success earlier in the season.

Our top two lines are defensively good enough take the toughest match ups head to head instead of having checking lines.  That left the Garland and Hoglander lines to feast on lower opposition and bottom D pairings.

As soon as some injuries hit and we didn’t have that depth you could see the negative impact it had.

In the past I would say you're right, but I think he's been looking quite good with Petey this last little stretch. He also has 6 points in his last 6 games which tells me he can still produce when facing stiffer competition. I think he and Petey are starting to develop some good chemistry.

Ultimately yes, there's still a question of whether he can keep up his tenacious style of play when he regularly has more minutes as in the past he fell off a little. But I think so far it's looking pretty good and he's certainly made the case that he's earned the opportunity.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PureQuickness said:

Hoglander is producing with such little time on the ice. It's insane really.

Pretty sure Martin Gelinas did the same.  Dixon Ward one year for us ... just to name a couple guys.  It's great to see.   Used to be great teams had guys who'd get 20/20 on the 3rd line... that was the norm more or less and the expectation.    Now it's extraordinary.   And you have to move it up.     

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Diamonds said:

In the past I would say you're right, but I think he's been looking quite good with Petey this last little stretch. He also has 6 points in his last 6 games which tells me he can still produce when facing stiffer competition. I think he and Petey are starting to develop some good chemistry.

Ultimately yes, there's still a question of whether he can keep up his tenacious style of play when he regularly has more minutes as in the past he fell off a little. But I think so far it's looking pretty good and he's certainly made the case that he's earned the opportunity.

He sure has. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Pretty sure Martin Gelinas did the same.  Dixon Ward one year for us ... just to name a couple guys.  It's great to see.   Used to be great teams had guys who'd get 20/20 on the 3rd line... that was the norm more or less and the expectation.    Now it's extraordinary.   And you have to move it up.     

Yeah, you're right. I think I have forgotten that "third liners" are supposed to get 10-20 goals per year. And then after a while, we stopped having players like these, so my expectations have lowered a lot. And then seeing Hoglander produce like he has makes me overexcited.

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

Yeah, you're right. I think I have forgotten that "third liners" are supposed to get 10-20 goals per year. And then after a while, we stopped having players like these, so my expectations have lowered a lot. And then seeing Hoglander produce like he has makes me overexcited.

Yes that's kind of how things have gone the past few decades.   

• Cheers 1