[Trade] Guentzel to Carolina

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep there’s no way we could have done this deal.

And then if we waited for Guentzel to be available we still may not have gotten him. Then we would have had neither.

Lindholm has helped improve our shutdown game which you need for the playoffs.

I’m still good with the trade.

Plus you look at the trade and we would have gutted our farm team. Our management group has said from the beginning they want to build players from the farm. 

Abby is in the middle of a playoff push and by gutting the team just to get Guentzle would in my opinion send a poor message. That they only care what happens on the big club.

I think at some point at the trade deadline they took a look at our team and decided now is not the time to be trading our young prospects for a cup run. 

Which is great in my opinion. We are just entering our window of contention with a solid core that’s locked up long term.

We need affordable depth talent coming from the farm to support our core through the next 5 years.

If we traded Raty, Podz, Bains, or whatever we would be starting all over again in Abby development wise. I’m glad they weren’t willing to do that.

I’m all for making a strong cup run but for me it’s even more exciting to think we are entering a time where we have a chance at multiple cup runs, not just this year. The cup is so hard to win. I’d rather multiple shots than just one single chance.

5 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Plus you look at the trade and we would have gutted our farm team. Our management group has said from the beginning they want to build players from the farm. 

Abby is in the middle of a playoff push and by gutting the team just to get Guentzle would in my opinion send a poor message. That they only care what happens on the big club.

I think at some point at the trade deadline they took a look at our team and decided now is not the time to be trading our young prospects for a cup run. 

Which is great in my opinion. We are just entering our window of contention with a solid core that’s locked up long term.

We need affordable depth talent coming from the farm to support our core through the next 5 years.

If we traded Raty, Podz, Bains, or whatever we would be starting all over again in Abby development wise. I’m glad they weren’t willing to do that.

I’m all for making a strong cup run but for me it’s even more exciting to think we are entering a time where we have a chance at multiple cup runs, not just this year. The cup is so hard to win. I’d rather multiple shots than just one single chance.

But that’s the thing they didn’t want those players. The rumour was they wanted our high end guys (Lek or Willander).

There was no deal to be made unless we overpaid severely. Sometimes teams just aren’t good trading partners.

• ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

But that’s the thing they didn’t want those players. The rumour was they wanted our high end guys (Lek or Willander).

There was no deal to be made unless we overpaid severely. Sometimes teams just aren’t good trading partners.

yep, I wish I had the link for it but I'm certain it was reported by D&D and Friedman that teams weren't really interested in our 1st, they wanted one of our better prospects.

Frankly we're fortunate that Cowtown wanted to change the channel on Dube and went for a long list of names over high quality. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Good lord that would have been even worse. I didn’t realize that’s what they wanted.

Especially since management has a good chance signing Guentzle this off season if they wanted to

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

good chance signing Guentzle this off season if they wanted to

This is what I'm hoping for. Petey needs a scoring winger like Guentzel. 

13 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Maybe not, I might take that comment back lol…the way Garland and Hogz have been playing on his wing the last few games Guentzle may not be needed next season.

Hopefully their chemistry continues into the playoffs. If it does I don’t know if we would go after him. He’s gonna command a lot cap wise.

I’d love him on our team but the way he’s playing in Carolina is quickly raising his free agent stock. Could be too much for us. Plus we have a whole defensive roster to basically sign. Moneys gonna get skinny this summer!

In no way am I saying Garland is better than Guentzle, but Guentzle is gonna get 7-8 mil as a ufa. Some GM is gonna throw the money at him. Garland is now looking like a great cost controlled option if he stays on Peteys wing consistently.

Will be interesting to see what kind of moves we make in the summer. Good times in Canuck land.

30 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Maybe not, I might take that comment back lol…the way Garland and Hogz have been playing on his wing the last few games Guentzle may not be needed next season.

Hopefully their chemistry continues into the playoffs. If it does I don’t know if we would go after him. He’s gonna command a lot cap wise.

I’d love him on our team but the way he’s playing in Carolina is quickly raising his free agent stock. Could be too much for us. Plus we have a whole defensive roster to basically sign. Moneys gonna get skinny this summer!

In no way am I saying Garland is better than Guentzle, but Guentzle is gonna get 7-8 mil as a ufa. Some GM is gonna throw the money at him. Garland is now looking like a great cost controlled option if he stays on Peteys wing consistently.

Will be interesting to see what kind of moves we make in the summer. Good times in Canuck land.

That's true. Höglander is basically a 20 goal scorer now. So he's now proven that he can score at the NHL level. Consistency for him will be key. Garland I think could be a surprise fit for Petey's wing. But I don't really see him as a scoring winger. He's got what? 15 goals on the year? I'd like to see if Garland on Petey's wing is a fit longer term. But Guentzel is definitely better than Garland, but if he's asking for 7-8M at least, then there's no way we can afford him. That money probably goes to other FA's on the roster. Like Brock. Nobody's talking about him, but isn't he UFA this Summer? He could technically walk for nothing couldn't he?  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

that means one of Boeser, Milkeyev or garland needs to be traded  also J Guentz is getting older... random speculation was that he wants something like 8 or 9 million x 6 years 

he will be 30 when next season starts 

Edited by canucks curse

15 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I hope not.

He declined an 8.5 million dollar contract with the Penguins already. 

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

That's true. Höglander is basically a 20 goal scorer now. So he's now proven that he can score at the NHL level. Consistency for him will be key. Garland I think could be a surprise fit for Petey's wing. But I don't really see him as a scoring winger. He's got what? 15 goals on the year? I'd like to see if Garland on Petey's wing is a fit longer term. But Guentzel is definitely better than Garland, but if he's asking for 7-8M at least, then there's no way we can afford him. That money probably goes to other FA's on the roster. Like Brock. Nobody's talking about him, but isn't he UFA this Summer? He could technically walk for nothing couldn't he?  

We have 1 more season with Brock till ufa. What really hurts is that’s when OELs largest part of his buyout cap applies. It will take some cap wizardry to build beyond this season.

But we have a good group of young forwards to replace guys like Mik and Garland when their contracts are up. So we should be able to fortify from within and resign Brock. I want him locked up long term with Millsy. They are a great duo.

I think Peteys long term duo could be Hogz but could also be Lekerimaki too. 

On 3/25/2024 at 1:57 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

He already has one who's even better...

Hogz is having a breakout 2nd half of the year 

he needs to keep going 

kudos to Hoggiez Abby and Van for turning things around so fast 

look at podz - talk about a turn around- even at full health I see podz in playoff lineup  

a lot of ppl had written both off 

• Cheers 1

How many assists/points? Guentzel has 2 goals, 10 assists and 12 points since arriving in CAR (8games). I love me some Hoglander and all (wanted to pummel people who kept trying to trade him over the last year) but he's no Guentzel. 

On 3/26/2024 at 8:10 AM, canucks curse said:

Hogz is having a breakout 2nd half of the year 

he needs to keep going 

kudos to Hoggiez Abby and Van for turning things around so fast 

look at podz - talk about a turn around- even at full health I see podz in playoff lineup  

a lot of ppl had written both off 

I'm not sure if Podkolzin will ever amount to a player scoring 20 goals. He scored 14 one year, but I think we'd be really lucky if he can score that again. He's good defensively, but that might be what he is in the NHL - a defensive forward, which isn't a bad thing. 

Höglander this year has proven he can score 20 in this league. Could he be a 20-25 goal scorer? That would be huge for this organization moving forward. 

On 3/26/2024 at 5:42 PM, aGENT said:

How many assists/points? Guentzel has 2 goals, 10 assists and 12 points since arriving in CAR (8games). I love me some Hoglander and all (wanted to pummel people who kept trying to trade him over the last year) but he's no Guentzel. 

Wonder if management's going to look into attempting to bring Guentzel here to be Petey's winger. 

• ThereItIs 2

Yeah, Hoglander's done great this year. Let's see if he can repeat that next season .

On 3/24/2024 at 6:14 PM, Attila Umbrus said:

We have 1 more season with Brock till ufa. What really hurts is that’s when OELs largest part of his buyout cap applies. It will take some cap wizardry to build beyond this season.

But we have a good group of young forwards to replace guys like Mik and Garland when their contracts are up. So we should be able to fortify from within and resign Brock. I want him locked up long term with Millsy. They are a great duo.

I think Peteys long term duo could be Hogz but could also be Lekerimaki too. 

I can see both being on his wings to be honest. 

I also want Boeser here until his career is done. He bleeds blue, green and white. 

Mik and Garland will be replaced internally, I agree with you there. 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, da.moose said:

Injured Reserve: The Washington Capitals place Logan O'Connor on the injured reserve https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/avalanche

Activation: The Washington Capitals activate Evgeny Kuznetsov and place him on the NHL roster

Washington Capitals Lineup:

Carter Verhaeghe     -  Mark Scheifele        -   William Nylander

Miles Wood               -  Evgeny Kuznetsov   -   Anthony Mantha

Cole Smith                -  Adam Henrique        -   Stefan Noesen

Brandon Duhaime     -  Kevin Stenlund         -   Andrew Cogliano

Kyle Okposo

Devon Toews         -       Brady Skjei

Brenden Dillon       -       Jake McCabe

Nikita Zadorov       -       Ryan Suter

Joel Edmundson    -       Vincent Desharnais

Andrei Vasilevskiy

Jonathan Quick

??

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Kyle Dubas is looking like a genius with this trade

Certainly built solid depth for their future.

Carolina is looking pretty damn solid now too.

Win-win?

• Cheers 1

On 3/23/2024 at 9:11 AM, DeNiro said:

Yeah, and Guentzel's a UFA in the off-season. Possible that he entertains all possible offers - Vancouver could be  a possible landing place. 

On 4/12/2024 at 12:11 PM, HKSR said:

Certainly built solid depth for their future.

Carolina is looking pretty damn solid now too.

Win-win?

Carolina plays Islanders. Who you cheering for? Bo and New York? 

Go Guentzel Go! 😂

• Haha 1