Looking for work in tech (a request)

I don't have anything for you but wish you the best of luck with this moving forward.

One thing I know about is that most companies automatically filter applications based on what keywords are in the resume. If you're not using the right terms in your CV/resume there's a good chance they're not being seen by an actual person.

• Thanks 1

www.seek.co.nz  I live in New Zealand, and companies here are desperate for people with your skills.  If you are willing to work overseas, hop on that website, lots to choose from with your skills with good salaries.  If you need more info, let me know.  

Edited by Hockey God

Apply to Translink. 

It may require relocation. 

Also, look at City/Province/Government agencies. 

Look at EA. They’re building a massive new place in Burnaby and I would expect them to require more personnel. 

Good luck bud. 

• Thanks 1

Might not be a fit age/physicality but my suggestion is to go to work for CFIOG https://cmcen-rcmce.ca/cfiog-news/ which for me led to the CSE https://www.cse-cst.gc.ca/  or possibly even CSIS. Degree required for CSIS agent work, the military will train you with CFIOG work. I found it enriching, rewarding and spectacular when working in real time ops. Dull boring and dirty while training and deployed, but the pay is good. Avoid TBI's overseas and you will be golden.

0.gifimage.png.8eea1b4c17e13f476acad46c1b97b8f1.pngimage.png.d3ca4965bbf15c0144390a4eb6105400.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Might not be a fit age/physicality but my suggestion is to go to work for CFIOG https://cmcen-rcmce.ca/cfiog-news/ which for me led to the CSE https://www.cse-cst.gc.ca/  or possibly even CSIS. Degree required for CSIS agent work, the military will train you with CFIOG work. I found it enriching, rewarding and spectacular when working in real time ops. Dull boring and dirty while training and deployed, but the pay is good. Avoid TBI's overseas and you will be golden.

0.gifimage.png.8eea1b4c17e13f476acad46c1b97b8f1.pngimage.png.d3ca4965bbf15c0144390a4eb6105400.png

Great suggestion PO. 

Find some IT recruiters on linkedin to get your foot in the door somewhere and then try to job hop after that. Recruiters can be scummy in their approach but certainly have the ability

to place anyone with a decent skillset in a job, even if a temporary gig
in todays remote world you wouldn't even have to move to get a job imo. Good lucm

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Hockey God said:

www.seek.co.nz  I live in New Zealand, and companies here are desperate for people with your skills.  If you are willing to work overseas, hop on that website, lots to choose from with your skills with good salaries.  If you need more info, let me know.  

Thank you for this. I actually tried New Zealand a little bit last year but not in a focused way. I'll make sure to check out that website because it seems like those website more focused on certain regions might be better than just using something broad like LinkedIn.

I might have to really start focusing on New Zealand because I'm definately open to the idea of moving there.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, The Lock said:

While most of my coding experience is in Python and SQL, I'm very open to using any programming language. I'm also very open to switching things up a bit in terms of jobs.

hehe, I was writing my own code on a VIC 20 in the early 80's during the first Canucks cup run but fell away from it in the mid 90s in pursuit of my career...you are miles ahead of me already on that front. 

ooo also: try and get on maybe with a company that buys and monetizes apps: likely boring work but my brother in law just bought a 1.2 million dollar house in Vic at roughly 32 years of age on the back of a hefty six digit income literally just monetizing someone else's developed functioning app. His brother sold an app he wrote for 1.5 million a few years back: seems like it is a nascent industry with a lifetime of expansion possibilities. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Find some IT recruiters on linkedin to get your foot in the door somewhere and then try to job hop after that. Recruiters can be scummy in their approach but certainly have the ability

to place anyone with a decent skillset in a job, even if a temporary gig
in todays remote world you wouldn't even have to move to get a job imo. Good lucm

Yeah, I would definitely try out some IT recruiters downtown.  They know who is hiring and can shop your resume.  They get paid by the company who is hiring so there is no cost to you...

• Thanks 1

sorry to hear you have been out of work that long, good luck in finding something soon!
in the meantime maybe consider branching out your education and getting a background in solidity and smart contract development.  They are in high demand and pay really well.
example job avail to experienced engineers:
https://ca.indeed.com/cmp/Base.org-Careers-Page/jobs?jk=e5f515f3636586d7&start=0&clearPrefilter=1

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, The Lock said:

So this is not something I normally do nor do I take this lightly posting this; however, I feel like I need to try all of my avenues at this point...

It's no secret that a lot of tech workers have been laid off the past year. I am of no exception. I was laid off of work in July of last year due to lack of work and have been looking for work ever since.

I'm going to try and keep this short here in terms of my profile; however, I am:

- A backend developer of about 3 years experience

- Most of my experience is in APIs and databases

- I have a computer science degree

- I also have an AWS developer certification.

While most of my coding experience is in Python and SQL, I'm very open to using any programming language. I'm also very open to switching things up a bit in terms of jobs.

I would appreciate it if I can get a few eyes and ears open for potential jobs. Even though I live in Prince George, I can move pretty much anyway including outside of BC or even Canada. I can send my resume privately to anyone on request.

I love you all and this community. Again, I don't post things like this lightly but I feel I don't have anything to lose either.

Have you applied for Government jobs?  A lot of IT people are leaving for the public sector as it pays better.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Have you applied for Government jobs?  A lot of IT people are leaving for the public sector as it pays better.

I actually have been. I generally expect them to take a while before they get back to me though. Still, applying to them early on is generally a good idea because you never know when they get back to you months later. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I actually have been. I generally expect them to take a while before they get back to me though. Still, applying to them early on is generally a good idea because you never know when they get back to you months later. lol

You should apply for any job.  Once you are in the door you can apply for internal postings.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

You should apply for any job.  Once you are in the door you can apply for internal postings.

I actually did just this yesterday. There's a civilian job with the RCMP that I applied for. The screening questions were a dead giveaway that I was overqualified, but I still applied since it means a foot in the door. Definately see what happens. I'm trying to make sure I don't come across as cocky for the job. That seems to be the hard part in those sort of situations.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, The Lock said:

I actually did just this yesterday. There's a civilian job with the RCMP that I applied for. The screening questions were a dead giveaway that I was overqualified, but I still applied since it means a foot in the door. Definately see what happens. I'm trying to make sure I don't come across as cocky for the job. That seems to be the hard part in those sort of situations.

after i retired i took a minimum wage position at my favourite charity and routinely had the boss questioning my motives "are you interested in my job?" "you are really overqualified for what you do here" "Listen, I am going to a National Conference and I wonder if you would come along and weigh in on some policy objectives discussions" 
"would you lead our newest storefront/warehouse for me as Manager there?"

No. No and NO. I am happy to help at the no brainer end doing some physical work, that is all i need right now, thanks. Boss couldn't take "I am happy doing what you hired me to do" for an answer. It ended badly. 

• Cheers 1

On 3/9/2024 at 4:04 PM, The Arrogant Worms said:

I agree 100%. Bringing income in versus no income makes a big difference. Even if it is an entry level job and/or a minimum wage job, you are bringing in income. 

I've worked jobs that were not inline with my work experience and education, at least I brought in income. I learned skills and developed friendships as well. 

When I was in my young 20s, I lived in small town for a few years. I originally moved from Seattle for a job. The job didn't work out, and I was then hired as an editor. With the pay as an editor, it was hard for me to make ends, so I took a second job, working as an editor during the day and at a fast food restaurant at night. And you know what job I liked best? The job at the fast food restaurant. I learned how to make burgers and I developed friendships. Everyone was in their 20s - around the same age as me. And they were fun co-workers and who liked to go out. I worked there for a year and decided it was time to move back to Seattle. This was many many years ago. 

Overall, besides my skills, I have been hired for my personality and my ability to have conversations with people. 

I would recommend having conversations with people at job interviews while discussing your skills, abilities, and achievements - what you can bring to the table. 

Edited by brilac

Not sure if any of these are a match for your experience/qualification level, but give them a look through:

https://uvic.mua.hrdepartment.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/10761 Data Steward for Ocean Networks Canada (UVic ocean sciences research group) 2 year contract, $77 - 85K/year. Sounds like it would use your SQL skills?

https://uvic.mua.hrdepartment.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/10615 Senior Research Computing Systems administrator, 2 year contract, $88-97K / year. More of an admin role than development, but I'll leave it to you to decide if you're a good fit.

https://uvic.mua.hrdepartment.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/9928 Senior Systems Administrator for the Faculty of Engineering, permanent position, starting at $80-89k maximum salary of $104k with performance increases. Again more of an admin role than on the dev side, but have a look. EDIT: This job has been reposted at least once (meaning they got no suitable applicants last time) and they are looking to hire 2 people, not just one. So I don't think it'll be overly competitive

I work at UVic and am pretty familiar with HR/careers here. If you have any questions about the process, send me a PM. Good luck with the job hunt!

Edited by MattJVD
  • Upvote 1