[SIGNING] Canucks sign Christian Felton

• Integra250 changed the title to [SIGNING] Canucks sign Christian Felton

I stand by my statement I've made in the past: There is no better way for lower-end players to develop their game than in the NCAA.  Even more so for defencemen and goaltenders, who take longer to be NHL-ready.  The fact that you can be 24 years old before deciding to go pro must be way more appealing than having to graduate from the CHL at age 20.

If we weren't a playoff team, I bet he'd get a look in the NHL this year, just like Hirose did the previous year.  Guys like them are usually NHL-ready after only one season.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2
  • chaos 1

I like these college free agent signings. They are low risk and the reward is potentially high. They don’t cost draft picks or a ton of money either. Worst case scenario, he’s depth for Abby.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I guess it's college free agent season. Honestly I don't know anything about this guy but from a quick glance at his stats it looks like he's probably a defensive defenseman.

He certainly isn't an offensive defenceman.

49 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

24 and 6'1, 195lbs with not much in the way of counting stats. Seems to be Abby depth but you never know, could always be another Tanev👀

I have a lot of respect for JR and PA, but this one puzzles me. His stat line this year is 3 goals and 4 assists for 7 pts in 26 games and his +/- is -3.  Last year he had 6 pts in 32 games. He is 24 years old and is listed in Elite Prospects as 6-1 and 185 lbs not 195 but who knows. Either way he is on the low side of average for an NHL D-man. 

One the surface he looks like a guy who would never get a sniff of an NHL contract. If he pans out I will have to assume the Canucks have a genuine crystal ball.

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I stand by my statement I've made in the past: There is no better way for lower-end players to develop their game than in the NCAA.  Even more so for defencemen and goaltenders, who take longer to be NHL-ready.  The fact that you can be 24 years old before deciding to go pro must be way more appealing than having to graduate from the CHL at age 20.

If we weren't a playoff team, I bet he'd get a look in the NHL this year, just like Hirose did the previous year.  Guys like them are usually NHL-ready after only one season.

Plus, if they don't make it, at least they've gotten themselves an education they can fall back on to make a decent living.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Vancouver Canucks General Manager Patrik Allvin announced today that the club has agreed to terms with defenceman Christian Felton on a one-year, entry-level contract.

“We are happy to have Christian join our organization,” said Allvin. “We brought him into our development camp last summer and have kept a close eye on his progress. We look forward to working with him and helping Christian adjust to things as he starts his pro hockey career.”

Felton, 24, recently completed his senior college season with the Merrimack College Warriors, recording seven points (3-4-7) and four penalty minutes in 26 games. He established personal bests in goals and points at the college level and led the team in blocked shots (55). 

The 6’1”, 190-pound right-shot defenceman has appeared in 98 games at the college level, split between Merrimack College and Bentley University, posting 17 points (7-10-17) and 44 penalty minutes.

Prior to beginning his college career, the Medina, Ohio native played 50 games in the BCHL with the Vernon Vipers, where he recorded 15 points (5-10-15) and 16 penalty minutes.

DB -  https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=213721

Edited by Rip The Mesh

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Tanev is 6'2", hopefully another Bieksa?

Does an inch really depict what kind of former Canuck he'll be? Is this like some Canucks zodiac now based on height? lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Does an inch really depict what kind of former Canuck he'll be? Is this like some Canucks zodiac now based on height? lol

He's closer to Bieksa in frame than Tanev. Where he will end up no one knows. Let's hope we get a free excellent prospect.

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He's closer to Bieksa in frame than Tanev. Where he will end up no one knows. Let's hope we get a free excellent prospect.

I mean, looking at the 2, I see an inch difference. I just think it's silly is all.

Edited by The Lock