[SIGNING] Canucks sign Christian Felton

2 hours ago, AK-19 said:

....seems like a waste of contract space. Even NHL defensive dmen show some offensive ability in the lower leagues.

It expires this summer anyway. Pretty sure we had 46 contracts before this signing. Still do if Capfriendly has been updated. Abby depth at worst. Which isn't nothing. 24 years old and again can be let go this summer. Not worth crying about a roster spot. Lol.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Replacement for what I assume will be a call up from Abby for the playoffs.

Brisebois/Woo?

one of them for sure. 

This feels like a good chance to try out a depth player, a real no-lose scenario.

11 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

It expires this summer anyway. Pretty sure we had 46 contracts before this signing. Still do if Capfriendly has been updated. Abby depth at worst. Which isn't nothing. 24 years old and again can be let go this summer. Not worth crying about a roster spot. Lol.

Got it, I didn't realize we can walk away this summer. 

15 hours ago, Billabong said:

If you’re gonna trade your picks you gotta take as many swings as possible at college free agents so no matter what it’s a smart move 

^^^^This

Canucks have had a few undrafted "swing for the fences" signings that panned out ... Burrows and Tanev say How-ya-Doing!

12 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I believe the contract expires next summer.

14 hours ago, HKSR said:

If this management group signed him, they obviously see something in him.  Based on their track record I'm gonna trust they know something about this kid that you won't see from the stat line.

He's a friend's kid, PA owes the dad a favor. Everything's squared now and we get a free prospect! JK, I obviously have no effin idea, but I like these types of signings.

I think the reason for his signing is as simple as this:  he's a RHD, good ones are very hard to find, so if he can somehow develop to a higher level than anyone expects, they will have hit a homerun.  If not, they will just let him go......

Edited by CaptainCanuck12

7 hours ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

I think the reason for his signing is as simple as this:  he's a RHD, good ones are very hard to find, so if he can somehow develop to a higher level than anyone expects, they will have hit a homerun.  If not, they will just let him go......

Those are some good solid reasons.

Another reason to sign these college players and assign them to the AHL could be to do with the AHL being a developmental league.

Twelve out of the eighteen skaters on an AHL team have to have played less than 260 games in a professional league, with an exception for one of those 12 players being allowed to have played less than 320 professional games.

AHL teams have a continuous need for new, young players either from junior or college to fulfill this developmental requirement.

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2024 at 9:26 AM, Bob Long said:

one of them for sure. 

This feels like a good chance to try out a depth player, a real no-lose scenario.

If Woo somehow gets in the line-up added with Big Z, Myers,..... Hronek, We laying out bodies!

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Canuck You said:

If Woo somehow gets in the line-up added with Big Z, Myers,..... Hronek, We laying out bodies!

If Woo makes it, it'll likely be a road similar to Juulsen.  He's a fair ways off at the moment.