Quinn Hughes | #43 | LD

-AJ-

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

8 points in 7 games and a monster +10 after just a handful of games is wild. Obviously there's some big blow-out wins there and we're yet to go through a rough patch but they seem to take +/- into account a lot when deciding on the Norris, and Quinn's is almost double's Makar's +6. I doubt Hughes continues this streak all year but if he hits 80 points we should be pretty happy, and a nice +20-30 or so means we've had a good season. Usually the league leaders end up +40 to +50.

Personally, I look at +/- and points, but also a lot of other things. Usually, the one stat that Hughes is pretty bad at is blocked shots. He's quite good in all other categories. Makar blocks almost double the shots Quinn does and maintains similar puck possession as well.

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Personally, I look at +/- and points, but also a lot of other things. Usually, the one stat that Hughes is pretty bad at is blocked shots. He's quite good in all other categories. Makar blocks almost double the shots Quinn does and maintains similar puck possession as well.

I'm fine with him not blocking a lot of shots. The Canucks can ill afford to have him injured and out for a lengthy period of time. Tanev was very good at blocking shots; so much so that he usually wound up missing substantial parts of the season due to being injured. You want your best players out on the ice and not sitting on the sidelines  recovering from an injury.

• Cheers 2

On 10/28/2023 at 11:33 AM, -AJ- said:

Makar is a beast, and I maintain he is a more well rounded defenseman than Hughes is. At the end of the day, Hughes will always be a smaller guy, and with that, comes along with him having to find ways to defend and protect himself as well as possible despite this. He's done about a good of job as anyone could have expected, and is most certainly not a defensive liability as many tried to make him out to be earlier in his career.

He's also proven to be quite resilient when he DOES end up getting hit. Still, his great maneuverability and speed can only bandaid his size so much and I really don't expect to see him laying anyone out or blocking many shots even as his career progresses. While he would always be paired with a strong defender (allowing him to pinch in more), he really NEEDS a solid defender to play with to make up for what he lacks. It puts a slight strain on management as a result to get that partner for him. Hronek has worked out great, but I'm never keen on having ALL your best players on a line, and having our 2 best defenseman on one line isn't ideal either. If the rumors are true that we might land Tanev in the offseason, that would allow Hronek to slip down to 2nd pairing, making our defensive lines more balanced. 

It's all good. We are very lucky to have Hughes, and he will go down as our best defenseman of all time if that isn't already obvious....

• Upvote 1

Just now, Reznor said:

Makar is a beast, and I maintain he is a more well rounded defenseman than Hughes is. At the end of the day, Hughes will always be a smaller guy, and with that, comes along with him having to find ways to defend and protect himself as well as possible despite this. He's done about a good of job as anyone could have expected, and is most certainly not a defensive liability as many tried to make him out to be earlier in his career.

He's also proven to be quite resilient when he DOES end up getting hit. Still, his great maneuverability and speed can only bandaid his size so much and I really don't expect to see him laying anyone out or blocking many shots even as his career progresses. While he would always be paired with a strong defender (allowing him to pinch in more), he really NEEDS a solid defender to play with to make up for what he lacks. It puts a slight strain on management as a result to get that partner for him. Hronek has worked out great, but I'm never keen on having ALL your best players on a line, and having our 2 best defenseman on one line isn't ideal either. If the rumors are true that we might land Tanev in the offseason, that would allow Hronek to slip down to 2nd pairing, making our defensive lines more balanced. 

It's all good. We are very lucky to have Hughes, and he will go down as our best defenseman of all time if that isn't already obvious....

Yeah, I anticipate that he's probably somewhere around 2-4 in Norris rankings right now, but I haven't actually checked the stats, so maybe I'll be surprised by some of them. I have to imagine his puck possession stats are through the roof, especially with our puck dominance over the last four games. I wonder where his takeaways and blocks are at now.

21 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, I anticipate that he's probably somewhere around 2-4 in Norris rankings right now, but I haven't actually checked the stats, so maybe I'll be surprised by some of them. I have to imagine his puck possession stats are through the roof, especially with our puck dominance over the last four games. I wonder where his takeaways and blocks are at now.

The way he's playing, he really ought to be top of the list in the Norris. I don't personally know what exact criteria they use to determine the Norris, but he will really need to blow away other top defenders like Fox or Makar if he expects to win the trophy with the deficiencies he does have. It's a shame, as I DO think he's the most offensively gifted defenseman in the league.

2 minutes ago, Reznor said:

The way he's playing, he really ought to be top of the list in the Norris. I don't personally know what exact criteria they use to determine the Norris, but he will really need to blow away other top defenders like Fox or Makar if he expects to win the trophy with the deficiencies he does have. It's a shame, as I DO think he's the most offensively gifted defenseman in the league.

He certainly appears to be the most gifted right now. Last year, he was probably #2 or #3 in terms of offensive skill, but a little lower overall given his defensive play. He's certainly not bad defensively, but others like Fox and Makar are elite and he hasn't been to that level in the past. If he's head and shoulders above others offensively, that might elevate him more seriously into the conversation anyway. It's also possible that his defensive numbers are elite this year--I haven't checked. If that's the case, then he's #1 by a mile right now.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

He certainly appears to be the most gifted right now. Last year, he was probably #2 or #3 in terms of offensive skill, but a little lower overall given his defensive play. He's certainly not bad defensively, but others like Fox and Makar are elite and he hasn't been to that level in the past. If he's head and shoulders above others offensively, that might elevate him more seriously into the conversation anyway. It's also possible that his defensive numbers are elite this year--I haven't checked. If that's the case, then he's #1 by a mile right now.

If Karlsson can win the Norris by being the worst player defensively in the entire league, Hughes should have it easily

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

If Karlsson can win the Norris by being the worst player defensively in the entire league, Hughes should have it easily

Hahah, well yeah he wasn't that bad, but defense definitely wasn't his strength. I had him ranked 11th in my Norris rankings, so it was rather frustrating to see him win. Hughes was 7th in my rankings last year, so he was already miles ahead of Karlsson defensively.

On 11/3/2023 at 12:20 PM, -AJ- said:

I haven't checked either, but by the eye test, he's been very solid. His hand eye is go amazing and ability to play keep away once he gains possession is nuts. As I mentioned before, Hughes has had to find a unique way to play defense opposed to the typical physical, blocking style. But while that method wouldn't work great for 99% of the players in the league, when you have talent at his level, he makes it work. 

We're so lucky to have a defenseman of his calibre. So fun to watch.

When you look at the defencemen scoring and stats, Quinn is pulling away. Quinn has 20 points, Makar has 11. Hedman is on 14 which is quite hefty but watching some of the Tampa games, he hasn't looked that good defensively at times and a bit slow, but he's racking up points. Fox has 11 points.

Right now Hughes is the run-away Norris leader. Obviously it's a long season, but he's putting up Karlsson-like numbers with good defence to boot. An eighth of the season done, let's hope Hughes keeps it up because you know Makar and Fox are coming for him.

10 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

When you look at the defencemen scoring and stats, Quinn is pulling away. Quinn has 20 points, Makar has 11. Hedman is on 14 which is quite hefty but watching some of the Tampa games, he hasn't looked that good defensively at times and a bit slow, but he's racking up points. Fox has 11 points.

Right now Hughes is the run-away Norris leader. Obviously it's a long season, but he's putting up Karlsson-like numbers with good defence to boot. An eighth of the season done, let's hope Hughes keeps it up because you know Makar and Fox are coming for him.

Hedman is actually a more offensive defenseman than people realize. Defense isn't his strong suit--not to say he's bad at it, but people assume that because he's 6'7", he must be good defensively, but in fact, he's just decent and not amazing.

The catch will be if Fox and Makar are still better defensively, but even then, it's hard to have enough defensive ability over Hughes to justify 11 points vs 20 points.

• Cheers 1

Love from NHL.com possible Hall of Fame players 

5. Vancouver Canucks (9-2-1)

Total points: 157
Last week: No. 8

"Quinn Hughes has the potential to become a member of the Hall of Fame one day. The defenseman, who was named captain prior to this season, is not just having another strong season, he’s on pace for a whopping 136 points, which would be the third-most by a defenseman in NHL history. Bobby Orr had 139 points (37 goals, 102 assists) for the Boston Bruins in 1970-71, and Paul Coffey had 138 points (48 goals, 90 assists) for the Edmonton Oilers in 1985-86. Through 12 games, the 24-year-old has 20 points (five goals, 15 assists). In his sixth NHL season, he can be considered among the League's elite defensemen and is an early candidate for the Norris Trophy. He is the highest-scoring defenseman in the NHL, and only Tampa Bay Lightning forward Nikita Kucherov (22 points; 10 goals, 12 assists) and Hughes’ teammate Elias Pettersson (21 points; six goals, 15 assists) are ahead of him in the League scoring race. If Hughes continues on this trajectory and can help Vancouver become elite, it would put him in Hall of Fame consideration." -- Derek Van Diest, staff writer

• 2 weeks later...

I'm ready to be roasted, but I think those calling Hughes generational are jumping on that train far too quickly. We're 20 games into an incredible season, but we're talking about a guy who hasn't even won a Norris yet. Generational defensemen win 7+ Norris trophies.

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm ready to be roasted, but I think those calling Hughes generational are jumping on that train far too quickly. We're 20 games into an incredible season, but we're talking about a guy who hasn't even won a Norris yet. Generational defensemen win 7+ Norris trophies.

Is there a guide to what makes a generational player? 

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Is there a guide to what makes a generational player? 

It's obviously subjective, but I have extraordinarily high standards. For a defenseman, Bobby Orr is the only generational player ever to me. Others come close, but he's the only one. Generally, I'd say it requires at least five or six of a combination of Ted Lindsay, Hart, or Conn Smythe trophies. Usually, they have to be a top 5 player in the NHL for at least 10 years. My current list of generational players is less than ten in 105 years of NHL history:

Howe

Orr

Gretzky

Lemieux

Crosby

Ovechkin

McDavid

Jagr and Roy are the two other ones that are close, but I wouldn't quite say make it.

Was just watching Kyper & Bourne, and they were talking about Hughes. The guest they had on was going on and on about Quinn, calling him great and having perfect edgework etc. They said goodbye to him, and then Kypreos said, "It sure helps when the other guys on the team are having career years as well. Puck luck."

Is it just jealousy with these eastern idiots?

• Vintage 1