Quinn Hughes | #43 | LD

-AJ-

So wow... Hughes has looked incredible in the preseason. 

Like yeah he was already a number 1 D, smooth skating and top tier passing. We knew he'd be great as he has been.

But dang! It is almost like he has reached another level. The drive and leading of the offense has been so impressive so far. Glad to see taking the C has been solid so far for him. 

(Of course this is just preseason and means not a lot. We'll wait to see what happens in the regular season) 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Bobby James said:

Like yeah he was already a number 1 D, smooth skating and top tier passing. We knew he'd be great as he has been.

But dang! It is almost like he has reached another level. The drive and leading of the offense has been so impressive so far. Glad to see taking the C has been solid so far for him. 

(Of course this is just preseason and means not a lot. We'll wait to see what happens in the regular season) 

Perhaps he's one where wearing the "C" makes him want to be the best player he can be. It certainly hasn't seem to hamper him so far.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Canucklehead44 said:

Quinn is on a whole other level from where he was last year and from everyone else on the team including EP40

Feels like he might make the jump from great #1 defenseman to a Norris contender this year.

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Feels like he might make the jump from great #1 defenseman to a Norris contender this year.

I think so as well. Guys talk about the big difference jumping up leagues especially to the NHL is the speed of the game. Watching Quinn play is how I would imagine a top pairing NHL dman playing in the ECHL. The game seems to move slower for him. He is so relaxed and holds the puck to make a quality play. McDavid for example looks really fast whereas Hughes makes everyone else look slow 

On 10/4/2023 at 2:51 PM, Bobby James said:

That's why I was elated we were able to select QH. He'd already shown at the WHC that he was more than capable as an 18 year old. Here he is at 23, getting better and better. Thank you Yzerman, you dumb ass! (btw, I love Stevie as a player)

1 hour ago, Barn Burner said:

That's why I was elated we were able to select QH. He'd already shown at the WHC that he was more than capable as an 18 year old. Here he is at 23, getting better and better. Thank you Yzerman, you dumb ass! (btw, I love Stevie as a player)

It wasn't Yzerman who passed on Hughes.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, NucksRuleYou said:

It wasn't Yzerman who passed on Hughes.

On top of that, it was really Chayka taking Hayton that got us Hughes. Zadina was expected to go #3, so Detroit would've been crazy not to take him at #6. If Arizona took Zadina, I bet Detroit takes Hughes.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

On top of that, it was really Chayka taking Hayton that got us Hughes. Zadina was expected to go #3, so Detroit would've been crazy not to take him at #6. If Arizona took Zadina, I bet Detroit takes Hughes.

Right. And Montreal taking Kotkaniemi. It's all coming back to me. Was it Holland who drafted Zadina? 

• -AJ- changed the title to Quinn Hughes | #43 | LD
1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Hughes was absolutely outstanding against Florida. His skating and mobility is so impressive. IMac has it right. Best D-man to ever pull a Canuck jersey on. I have seen them all. 

Now we have an elite partner (again; Tanev was elite with Hughes) we will see a lot more offensively from Quinn at 5 on 5. 
Getting Hronek was huge for our club. 

• Like 2

This kids hockey IQ is off the charts. Not only an elite skater, but his muffin shot has disappeared. It's early but, do the Canuck D seem to be more involved in getting shots to the net? One more RD, and barring injuries this team might be going upwards and into the playoffs this season. Goalie Bob was terrible last night, thank goodness our special teams were better than Florida.

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Quinn Hughes dashes into 31st in all-time Canuck scoring with his assist tonight.

image.png.d88b34f90ea31faa884c8019eca40892.png

Outproducing Courtnall, one of our better offensive forwards in the 90s. Insane.

8 points in 7 games and a monster +10 after just a handful of games is wild. Obviously there's some big blow-out wins there and we're yet to go through a rough patch but they seem to take +/- into account a lot when deciding on the Norris, and Quinn's is almost double's Makar's +6. I doubt Hughes continues this streak all year but if he hits 80 points we should be pretty happy, and a nice +20-30 or so means we've had a good season. Usually the league leaders end up +40 to +50.

• Huggy Bear 1