[GDT] Around the NHL [April 2024]

16 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

You know you're a poverty franchise when literally nobody can even muster up hate for you.  🙄😢

Don’t feel too bad. Alf hates the Sabes. And I’m sure lots here will join in and express their hate for the Sabres too. 

Hope that cheers you up! 41ABF565-02EB-4B50-85A7-2FF4C5EEE771.gif.10acf8e4097d48f699347202c469a394.gif

• Thanks 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Don’t feel too bad. Alf hates the Sabes. And I’m sure lots here will join in and express their hate for the Sabres too. 

Hope that cheers you up! 41ABF565-02EB-4B50-85A7-2FF4C5EEE771.gif.10acf8e4097d48f699347202c469a394.gif

The only time people here truly hate the Sabres are when the Canucks are playing them.  Hence my absenteeism from the game-day threads since my return to the board.

Most of the time it's basically league-wide apathy, which is much worse than being hated.

You don't really count because you hate every team in the NHL that doesn't have an Orca on it's sweater.  🙃

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

This goes back to my original point.  You probably would like McDavid more if he played for a random team like Anaheim or Carolina.  You would probably like Matthews more too.  And you would've HATED Crosby if he were a Flame or a Leaf.  Imagine if Bedard got drafted by the Oilers.  Imagine the hate he would get from us.  That's most of where all this is coming from.  You're not gonna see a Celtics fan try to say Kobe was a bad player.  They hated his guts, but nobody is crazy enough to say he sucked.

An Edmonton fan site would have the same problem as any other rabid fanbase - they think their team is being persecuted.  Every Canucks fan their team is the most persecuted.  Every Leafs fan thinks their team is the most persecuted.  Hatred is more powerful than love - it's a great emotion to have.  But don't confuse hatred for stupidity.  You can hate someone but still acknowledge their work ethic and team mentality.  You can't see past that.

I'm not going to root for another team when my team is in the playoffs.

This is exactly what I said about McDavid:

Connor McDavid is a fabulous player. He will be a top 10 player in NHL history or maybe even top 5 if he can win a cup or two. Edmonton was actually my second favourite team back in the day. Wayne Gretzky is my favourite player of all time. But I could never cheer for an Oilers team again as long as McDavid and Draisaitl are on the team. 

Does this sound like someone who thinks McDavid sucks as a player?  Just because I hate his guts doesn’t mean I don’t respect him as a player.

As for his defensive abilities, he may have improved in that this year, but don’t pretend that he didn’t suck defensively for the better part of 8 years. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The only time people here truly hate the Sabres are when the Canucks are playing them.  Hence my absenteeism from the game-day threads since my return to the board.

Most of the time it's basically league-wide apathy, which is much worse than being hated.

You don't really count because you hate every team in the NHL that doesn't have an Orca on its of sweater.  🙃

Alf is a secret Leafs fan. He is old enough to have watched Dave Keon live. Keon is his favourite player.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

The oilers announcer mentioned that the Oilers control their destiny in winning the division. I found it surprising so I checked. It's true, if they win out AND beat the Canucks in regulation on Saturday they could win the division even if the Canucks win all their other games.

1. Vegas is flat out uninspired in this game. They play like this they are easy pickings in the playoffs.

2. This isn’t the playoffs

3. Despite the difference in age, and the lefty shot, I’d take Matthias Ekholm and his 6.25 for the next two years over anything Filip Hronek might demand going into the future.

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is exactly what I said about McDavid:

Connor McDavid is a fabulous player. He will be a top 10 player in NHL history or maybe even top 5 if he can win a cup or two. Edmonton was actually my second favourite team back in the day. Wayne Gretzky is my favourite player of all time. But I could never cheer for an Oilers team again as long as McDavid and Draisaitl are on the team. 

Does this sound like someone who thinks McDavid sucks as a player?  Just because I hate his guts doesn’t mean I don’t respect him as a player.

As for his defensive abilities, he may have improved in that this year, but don’t pretend that he didn’t suck defensively for the better part of 8 years. 

Like I said, you don't have to respect a player but you also called him a trophy hunter.  You criticize him when he doesn't score, and then you call him a stat-padder when he does.  What do you want from him?  He didn't choose to get drafted to Edmonton.  He addressed the weaknesses in his game.  Losing in the 2022 conference final sucked for him, so he worked on his defense and heavily featured on Woodcroft's PK last year.  When Knoblauch took over, he bought into the new box+1 system and is doing just fine.  He isn't great at defending, but he’s fine.

He can be all those things and still be an asshole prick you root against.  And what does it matter if he sucked at parts of the game in the past, if he has worked on improving it in the present?

16 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

Vegas sucking so far. Where is the team we played against last week? Jerks

Not facing DeSmith or being force fed powerplays. 

Tonight’s outcomes are aligning for the Penguins to climb into the 2nd wild card in the east. Capitols down by 2 against Sabres right now and Penguins up 5-4 against Detroit. 

The competition for that last spot couldn’t be any tighter than it is. 

Posted (edited)

He'd probably be 5th all-time if he hadn't missed all that time during his prime, and likely not far behind Howe

He could probably still reach 5 depending on how long he decides to play

Edited by Coconuts