[GDT] Vegas @ Vancouver - Monday, April 8th - 7pt/10et - SNP, 650 - Rogers Arena - Vancouver, B.C.

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I agree Silov's should start.

But, not at the expense of disparaging what DeSmith has done for us this year.

DeSmith has 11 wins 9 losses

My take:

28 games - 79 goals allowed
53 GA at even strength 
24 GA on the pp   
*2 shorties allowed on pk

6 of his Losses were in overtime;
in one OT Loss we only scored 1 goal, vs Minn, no goal support.

Even if we win 2 of those 6 OT losses his record would be 13 and 7, which i think would have been completely possible. And would have been totally awesome. 

March games -  5W -  6L
Almost .500 which would be good for a back up, not great, but ok.
Also in March he has 29 GA total but,
12 GA in the LAST 2 games, Vegas-LA
It's  not as horrific as many are saying.

Also note:

Some of these pp goals are questionable calls and terrible 5 on 3's opportunities against.

In 14 games he's allowed 2 goals or less.

His last 4 losses were Dallas, Vegas, and LA twice. Tough tough teams.
Add to this that the team defense AND scoring lately has been subpar. Like bad.

And our pp sucks donkey ass.

I think there's enough blame to go around.  I think DeSmith is taking too much of the heat. Other teams know this; and he would be a valuable piece to trade not dump like some are suggesting, fkn haters.
Lets not undersell his accomplishments.

Great post. He's had a couple of let downs and overplayed some pucks but he's been solid enough to keep them in games. No one was complaining when we rattled off wins against Winn, Vegas, Kings. The team itself has made just as many and worse mistakes, like blowing any comeback by giving up highly dangerous chances after scoring. They're the regulars supposed to be helping keep his job easier.

If the team plays how they should and we win two more games all of the sudden his 7W - 4L would look pretty good.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Flyers got to the Finals once with only left side D on their blue line.😉

One of them was Chris Pronger in his prime.🤪

Vegas won the cup after they started adding RHD to their 5 or 6 LHD. But good for Philly for being the bridesmaid that year.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

I’m hoping they put him in net. I have a feeling they will try it. We need the win with Oilers coming for the division lead. Not the greatest of times for an experiment but it might be worth a try. Give Artur a tougher team to play against compared to the 2 he’s won against and see how he does. He could very well work his way into being our backup next year if we can’t re-sign Desmith.

This is the perfect game to do it. He's proven that he can handle high-level pressure at the Worlds. He was stellar. He needs to be tested at this level now. 

This is the time for him to shine.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Great post. He's had a couple of let downs and overplayed some pucks but he's been solid enough to keep them in games. No one was complaining when we rattled off wins against Winn, Vegas, Kings. The team itself has made just as many and worse mistakes, like blowing any comeback by giving up highly dangerous chances after scoring. They're the regulars supposed to be helping keep his job easier.

If the team plays how they should and we win two more games all of the sudden his 7W - 4L would look pretty good.

Sometimes it’s just psychological though.

When your goalie is playing shaky or letting in soft ones it affects the rest of the team. They can’t play their game the same way because they’re worried about every mistake ending up in the back of the net.

Good to just have a different look in net. Might not mean a better chance of winning but I think at least for the players it allows them to put the past few losses out of their heads a little.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Combover said:

Can’t see us winning without  demko in net.

Hopefully the Nucks  shows up to this game and don’t embarrass themselves.

running out of excuses for their crappy play .

remember the to long a home stand lololol. 
The to short a road trip don’t help. 

Demko doesn't score goals...

1 minute ago, Conscience said:

I don't really like these lines

They really don’t make much sense.

We’ve basically loaded up our most productive players on one line and then just blended the rest.

Put THE third line and the lotto line back together. Suter can be a placeholder for Lindholm on the second line. Stop overthinking it!

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 2

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

When your goalie is playing shaky or letting in soft ones it affects the rest of the team. They can’t play their game the same way because they’re worried about every mistake ending up in the back of the net.

Good to just have a different look in net. Might not mean a better chance of winning but I think at least for the players it allows them to put the past few losses out of their heads a little.

The psychological component is very real. It forces you to work harder and play insecurely. As a result, it opens you up to mistakes.

Silovs is more of a clean slate. That can be a good thing. There's also incentive for them to play well for him since he's young and unproven, not wanting to hang him out to dry. So in this instance, change is good. I'd even argue it does give you a better chance of winning.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Ballisticsports said:

Maybe they are practicing a new system now and waiting towards the playoffs?

Thats what I was kinda wondering, because this PP isnt working and they havent deviated from it whatsoever. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Trade him

Not to say yes trade him. But if Silov's and DeSmith by chance carry us through the playoffs 

A HUGE IF

What could we get for Demko in a trade?

This is hypothetical people 

Keep your pants on!

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

43 minutes ago, Dom said:

Doesn't look like he is going to play. & still no Juulsen. What a piss off. 

So we're just sticking with the same lines? Despite the lack of scoring or defending?

Not sure I agree.

Why not the Lotto line and our solid 3rd line. These are the same players we had in January when we have all the success (minus Kuzz) so why aren't we going back to that?

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

OUR 4TH LINE IS SOFT

LIKE BABY'S BOTTOM

We had the smallest top 6 in the entire league before the lines got shuffled. 

#40 is not hurt, Dhaliwal and others did look into it. Everytime he does not perform well people assume he is injured. The reality is, he is not able to perform on an elite level at a consistent basis. He can't even drive his own line consistently. 

Playoffs will be a real hard test for the team composition. 

I think Podkolzin earned an opportunity in the top 6 for the rest of the season. He looks way faster than last year and he is doing all the little things right. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yeah. I like going with Silos in this one too. I can see what you're saying and that is true. I would be more critical of DeSmith though if the team played great and his poor play was the difference. At the same time it's concerning that the starting roster isn't playing better than the backup goalie.

C'mon Canucks, let's put in 110% effort and get this win. Would be a big one for the division.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

So we're just sticking with the same lines? Despite the lack of scoring or defending?

Not sure I agree.

Why not the Lotto line and our solid 3rd line. These are the same players we had in January when we have all the success (minus Kuzz) so why aren't we going back to that?

If we end up with lines were Suter is playing in the top 6, than we do not gain anything. No contender should have players like that in the top 6 at any time.

But I don't understand why Juulsen is not playing. Cole is clearly the weakest Dman in our lineup.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Vollmilch90 said:

If we end up with lines were Suter is playing in the top 6, than we do not gain anything. No contender should have players like that in the top 6 at any time.

But I don't understand why Juulsen is not playing. Cole is clearly the weakest Dman in our lineup.

So instead we put Joshua,Hoglander and Garland in our top 6?

As much skill and energy these guys have I don't know that any of them are actually top 6. The reason the 3rd line was so successful was we had energy guys going against the other teams crap forwards. 

Now we've jumbled it all up and have no high scoring line, no checking line, no speed line...

I don't know how repeating the same lines is going to all of sudden change things.

But I guess that's why I'm not an NHL coach.

Edited by JayDangles
  • Confused 1