[PGT] Vancouver at Nashville - Round 1 - Game 3

21 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Wow that was one hit how long ago? Lol I'm talking about the playoffs here,

Now... he's playing positionally awesome this year but he's still shy to hit. If he could learn to do what Z does we'd have the scariest D in history. I'm not trashing him either. It's just one part of his game he could step up. Where's the Myers from the Minni series (also years ago) 

He's played two games, the one inbetween (Game 2),  too ill to play, suspected to be sick Game 1, where he was our best D.   Don't think he needs to "learn" anything from Zadarov, also he did it against St. Louis too (pasting guys), and was the only player aside from Motte, even though suffering from a shoulder injury, who didn't wilt against Vegas (Edler maybe too, but he was basically useless, other then infront of the net, and even then had a tough time,  no foot speed couldn't keep up). 

Edited by IBatch

6 hours ago, JIAHN said:

May be Malkin, when I look at it, but the intent and the message is pretty close. Pretty easy to sit behind a computer screen and make a comment like that, and not back it up with corrections...aka your list............

My point is valid...

Draisatl too, a lot of those years he was on his own line, you won't find many guys in the history of the game with a string of 100 point seasons,  let alone centres (yes some of the time they load one line but enough of those years they didn't).  

McKinnon is close to or generational, went from him verus Crosby, to him verus McDavid.   140 point season, wowzers , plus another year coming with all the hardware.    Also is money in the playoffs...And a pile of 2-3 all star berths, runner up Harts  (soon to get his first number one, and first all-star berth).    He's got some Mario in him, as in when he comes back from injury (retirement or whatever),  just kicks ass.   

Plus a layer inbeteeen.  And some guys are missing from it.   But I get where you're going with this.   For sure got your point.   Brayden Point!   Another great hockey player,  Stamkos too (although he plays wing mostly now). 

That "layer inbetween you could use Franchise".     Then Elite, then 1st line.    Jt Miller, is elite, he's the 11 highest  scorer since he came to the Canucks in the league.   5th for centres ...  EPs something like 24th and 14th for centres... Miller 406 points in 364 games however, is nothing like the guys at the top of the list.    538 points for Draisatl in virtually the same games ... Oh and a bunch of hardware, 1-4th all-star berths.    And number 2 in points.    A broader sample size shows a different story.    

And of course there are new players to consider as well.    In the end we are lucky to have both these guys.   

Back to Draisatl.   Crosby, one of the best centers in the history of the game, only broke 100 six times.    Concussions (lack of protection) cost him a few more for sure.     But that's it.   Draisatl, already has five, and managed one during Covid and 84 points in 56 games, so surely six in a row.   A deadly power play has boosted his stats, to some degree, he's a big part of that deadly power play too.   And guys like Ovi (generational) have feasted on the PP their entire careers, shouldn't be penalized for it.     Draisatl was on his way to challenge some of the greatest players all-time last year in the playoffs too.    Scoring goals at will.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Pretty great that he has Foote and Gonchar as D coaches. 

Also great that RT has always been so consistent in his messaging about systems and playing the right way. It's really simplified the team game and as a result helped the team play faster with less hesitation. That's where Myers plays best. When natural instincts and speed take over as opposed to sitting back and overthinking everything. 

Makes me wonder what the hell all the other coaches were telling him.

• Cheers 2

@IBatch @Bob Long

Thanks IBatch for your comments

Yes, I moved Malkin down to 2nd line center (now), that was a good point. Draisaitl is another good point, as I did mention, he is in the elite group (or close to it)

But my point was not to list all the centers in the league, and there were players I thought of, but was not entirely sure, so just thought I had enough to make my point.

IMO, I think Franchise and elite are much in the same.....rare!

I do think we get caught up in salary and points to much, as there are players out there for what ever reason, collect the points, but do not impact the game in the same way that others do.

I see generational and elite, as players that can force dmen back, as they attack, and do it on a regular and semi regular basis. My list of first line players are not that, but still super skilled, and all bring something a little different to the table then the 2nd line players. 

I think my incomplete list of 1st line players are somewhat interchangeable, meaning all very good, and very skilled, might even say dynamic in their own way, but they do not reach that "Elite" or "Franchise" level. Close, but not there. 

I wonder where Pettersson ranks on the list of 1st line players? IMO, not as high up as say Miller or Zibanejad, and not as high up as others, as well. His skill puts him into that category, but truthfully, I have not seen as much of the first year, Calder cup Pettersson as I would like!

I still remember, the night he was attacking the Dman, did a move forward, then back, then forward, all basically with shoulder and stick, and the Dman, fell on his ass. I still see the play on TV from time to time. When I seen that, I damn near fell out of my chair, and thought to myself, "well we have a keeper!", I have not seen that kind of play out of Pettersson since!

So, when @Alflives shoots from the lip, and calls Pettersson elite, I have to call him on that. If Pettersson is elite, then so are most of the others on the 1st line row, as well as others like Point, etc. 

IMO, some of the guys like Alf, and yourselves have a responsibility to point out the errors in their comments, and although Alf, plays his role, when he gets serious, he makes very valid points. It is what I like about  @smithers joe, his points always have meaning.....and he will challenge you with his vast knowledge. (something that some on here, do not seem to want to listen to!)

Anyways.....the game was great, and now today, we have another one! GO CANUCKS GO!

Edited by JIAHN
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

@IBatch @Bob Long

Thanks IBatch for your comments

Yes, I moved Malkin down to 2nd line center (now), that was a good point. Draisaitl is another good point, as I did mention, he is in the elite group (or close to it)

But my point was not to list all the centers in the league, and their were players I thought of, but was not entirely sure, so just thought I had enough to make my point.

IMO, I think Franchise and elite are much in the same.....rare!

I do think we get caught up in salary and points to much, as there are players out there for what ever reason, collect the points, but do not impact the game in the same way that others do.

I see generational and elite, as players that can force dmen back, as they attack, and do it on a regular and semi regular basis. My list of first line players are not that, but still super skilled, and all bring something a little different to the table then the 2nd line players. 

I think my incomplete list of 1st line players are somewhat interchangeable, meaning all very good, and very skilled, might even say dynamic in their own way, but they do not reach that "Elite" or "Franchise" level. Close, but not there. 

I wonder where Pettersson ranks on the list of 1st line players? IMO, not as high up as say Miller or Zibanejad, and not as high up as others, as well. His skill puts him into that category, but truthfully, I have not seem as much of the first year, Calder cup Pettersson as I would like!

I still remember, the night he was attacking the Dman, did a move forward, then back, then forward, all basically with shoulder and stick, and the Dman, fell on his ass. I still see the play on TV from time to time. When I seen that, I damn near fell out of my chair, and thought to myself, "well we have a keeper!", I have not seen that kind of play out of Pettersson since!

So, when @Alflives shoots from the lip, and calls Pettersson elite, I have to call him on that. If Pettersson is elite, then so are most of the others on the 1st line row, as well as others like Point, etc. 

IMO, some of the guys like Alf, and yourselves have a responsibility to point out the errors in their comments, and although Alf, plays his role, when he gets serious, he makes very valid points. It is what I like about I like about @smithers joe, his points always have meaning.....and he will challenge you with his vast knowledge. (something that some on here, do not seem to want to listen to!)

Anyways.....the game was great, and now today, we have another one! GO CANUCKS GO!

If I were to list Petey, is say he's 15th in C's in the league, with the potential to rise higher if he can figure out to create more space for himself.

Maybe he needs to just be quicker to shoot? Jake Allen talked about how deceptive Peteys release is, maybe it's simply a matter of raising up his shot totals?

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

If I were to list Petey, is say he's 15th in C's in the league, with the potential to rise higher if he can figure out to create more space for himself.

Maybe he needs to just be quicker to shoot? Jake Allen talked about how deceptive Peteys release is, maybe it's simply a matter of raising up his shot totals?

Yes, I agree with you Bob. And I think he is around 15th.....somewhere there. Certainly not "Franchise or Elite" as some suggest. Yes, that is a good point about Pettersson shooting more...it kind of drives me crazy, as it is a great shot........

Just day dreamin about your comment.."15" I actually had never thought about it that way, but it kind of makes him an average Centerman, doesn't it? Which is sadly about where he deserves to be. makes me wonder where he ranks when you put in the Cooleys, Bedard's, Byfields, etc.....(young guns)

3 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

Yes, I agree with you Bob. And I think he is around 15th.....somewhere there. Certainly not "Franchise or Elite" as some suggest. Yes, that is a good point about Pettersson shooting more...it kind of drives me crazy, as it is a great shot........

Just day dreamin about your comment.."15" I actually had never thought about it that way, but it kind of makes him an average Centerman, doesn't it? Which is sadly about where he deserves to be. makes me wonder where he ranks when you put in the Cooleys, Bedard's, Byfields, etc.....(young guns)

average 1st line C, at the moment. Which is still pretty darn good. I do think Petey will work it out, it would be nice for these playoffs but maybe it'll take a rough ride this season, and an offseason to percolate on it. 

• Cheers 1

On 4/27/2024 at 8:17 AM, stawns said:

He pouts, he gives up, he makes terrible decisions, he gets in public confrontations with his teammates etc.

19 hours ago, stawns said:

I didn't bring it up, I was responding to someone else who did.  

My opinion on miller hasn't changed........when things are going good, hes great, when they're not he's a negative presence.  

The only reason I rehash this is:

440983548_10160883036440549_208735447815

This from a guy who also has "played at a high level".

It happens. It's not about toxic Miller and his unruly behaviour. It's about showing emotion when a team's frustrated and those who do often are the ones who spark the team and wake them up.

Mostly he's great. And when a team's down it is negative and those outwardly expressing it aren't creating the situation they're simply reflecting it.

Hockey guys know that and don't take it personally. If they do they really have to toughen up the outter skin.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

It happens. It's not about toxic Miller and his unruly behaviour. It's about showing emotion when a team's frustrated and those who do often are the ones who spark the team and wake them up.

Mostly he's great. And when a team's down it is negative and those outwardly expressing it aren't creating the situation they're simply reflecting it.

Hockey guys know that and don't take it personally. If they do they really have to toughen up the outter skin.

Very good point Deb! Good illustration!

I think the word you are looking for is...."Intensity" 

Personally, RT has been exactly what Miller needed......IMO, he leads by example, and does not accept mediocracy...I don't think that is a bad thing!

12 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

meh, some people just aren't capable of admitting they had it wrong. 

• ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

2 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

Very good point Deb! Good illustration!

I think the word you are looking for is...."Intensity" 

Personally, RT has been exactly what Miller needed......IMO, he leads by example, and does not accept mediocracy...I don't think that is a bad thing!

Intensity, the will to win, hating complacency, could be some of the traits as to why he's in the NHL instead of a fan message board talking about their past glory days of junior hockey... 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Makes me wonder what the hell all the other coaches were telling him.

My eye test with previous coaches was that our D gave up the blue line quite easily. 

Opposing forwards would come in fast and back up the D, they'd button hook and then the D would then have to read the play and decide whether to attack the puck carrier or back off and cover zone. Ofcourse this all happened because there wasn't enough emphasis on our forwards to skate back and create back pressure to take away time and space. 

we have seen our forwards come back and pickpocket either the puck carrier or the trailer (after a pass is made) on a nightly basis. That used to hardly happen. Petey might have been the only one that did it. 

Our previous coaches were awful... 

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

My eye test with previous coaches was that our D gave up the blue line quite easily. 

Opposing forwards would come in fast and back up the D, they'd button hook and then the D would then have to read the play and decide whether to attack the puck carrier or back off and cover zone. Ofcourse this all happened because there wasn't enough emphasis on our forwards to skate back and create back pressure to take away time and space. 

we have seen our forwards come back and pickpocket either the puck carrier or the trailer (after a pass is made) on a nightly basis. That used to hardly happen. Petey might have been the only one that did it. 

Our previous coaches were awful... 

Travis?

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Travis?

For sure Travis. 

But also BB. I love the guy but he was too much fun and not enough discipline. 

RT and staff has been the best coaching staff I can remember. 

Better than AV. 

I want to say maybe pat quinn was best because that's my earliest memory of great canucks nostalgia but  RT might be even better. 

This is the best group of coaching staff I've seen in my 30+ years as a fan

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

For sure Travis. 

Better than AV. 

I want to say maybe pat win was beat because that's my earliest memory of great canucks nostalgia but  RT might be even better. 

Bruce was a trip to grandpa's. Lots of fun and treats, and then a big sugar crash and lots of tantrums. 

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Intensity, the will to win, hating complacency, could be some of the traits as to why he's in the NHL instead of a fan message board talking about their past glory days of junior hockey... 

Man, that is bang on!

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

For sure Travis. 

Better than AV. 

I want to say maybe pat quinn was best because that's my earliest memory of great canucks nostalgia but  RT might be even better. 

Good call....and it is all of them...it goes past RT

He surrounded himself with men that were communicators and kept it simple.

I remember Foote as a "keep it simple" kind of Dman, with bite!

I hated him, and wished we had him, back in the day!

Surely, someone RT would respect and agree with....aka same page!

Which is probably why Myers has started to do that....

You are hitting them out of the park, this morning!

2 hours ago, JIAHN said:

Nope. Petey is an elite 1C. Cooley and Byfield are puck suckers. How many centres put up 100 points while being fantastic defensively? We just happen to have two of them. The Empties know. Bow 🙇 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Nope. Petey is an elite 1C. Cooley and Byfield are puck suckers. How many centres put up 100 points while being fantastic defensively? We just happen to have two of them. The Empties know. Bow 🙇 

Go get another bottle Alf...this is going to be a long day for you! Maybe 2!

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, JIAHN said:

May be Malkin, when I look at it, but the intent and the message is pretty close. Pretty easy to sit behind a computer screen and make a comment like that, and not back it up with corrections...aka your list............

My point is valid...

Consistently beating d man one on one is a marker of whether someone is a first line forward? I’ll take production over the eye test most days. Combination of both is even better.