Round 2 - New York Rangers (M1) vs Carolina Hurricanes (M2)

Guess the series outcomes!  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins in How Many Games?

• New York in 4
    • New York in 5
    • New York in 6
    • New York in 7
    • Carolina in 4
    • Carolina in 5
    • Carolina in 6
    • Carolina in 7
  2. 2. BONUS: Will the Rangers score 6 or more goals in a game this series?

24 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Yeah, but we'd get called. We've all seen what Myers gets called for.

Any ref with balls would have given Trouba 5 for that. No one can argue that was a hockey play.

He missed, there is no penalty for trying, only succeeding.

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Considering what went on with no call, it was a very weak call.

At full speed not knowing what to look for it looked like an obvious penalty, after seeing the replay there is no way it should have been one.

That looked more like a dive than a penalty?

Good to see the intermission guys don’t agree with the call either. Not a penalty.

28 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

He missed, there is no penalty for trying, only succeeding.

50 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

If a player goes for a tomahawk chop but swings and misses, is that a penalty call?  If he pulls a gun and shoots but misses, is that a penalty call?  I... think the answer is no. 

Had Trouba made solid contact, he would've knocked Necas out cold and both guys would probably be out for the series.  But Trouba missed.  His foot landed on Necas' head after the follow through, but whatever.  So... both sides move on I suppose.

I seem to recall there was some penalties that were called, even if there was no contact made (stick swinging, perhaps?). Maybe I'm wrong.

Trouba's charge could easily be seen as an attempt to injure, between the flying leap and the elbow.

Something that blatant should have consequences, IMO.

1 minute ago, Kragar said:

I seem to recall there was some penalties that were called, even if there was no contact made (stick swinging, perhaps?). Maybe I'm wrong.

Trouba's charge could easily be seen as an attempt to injure, between the flying leap and the elbow.

Something that blatant should have consequences, IMO.

I think there was a pretty wicked swing stick that missed early in this game that was not called, can’t recall the details, they were mentioning it though.

2 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I think there was a pretty wicked swing stick that missed early in this game that was not called, can’t recall the details, they were mentioning it though.

I only caught about 2 periods worth, off and on, between dinner and walking the dog interruptions.

Just seemed to me that the Rangers would get away with more, and there were some weak calls against the Canes (one at the end, plus the roughing penalty late in the 2nd to negate a Canes PP, as Fox threw the first punch as the ref was holding the two players apart, and the Cane retaliated).

Oh well, can't be too surprised. Us Canuck fans know all about it.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

It was Fox. Right after Svetch ran the Rags goalie, Fox took a huge swing at Svetch and missed. 

Juice said that if Fox makes contact there, it’s probably 3 games,

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Rekker said:

Weak call results in PP winner. Not even weak, you can push players with the puck.

Comment on Xitter from a 'Canes fan:

Carolina had plenty of chances to win, so they take a lot of the blame, but wow, that was a weak call that resulted in the GWG....

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Refs boned Carolina 

I was honestly surprised to see that they allowed themselves to be influenced by the fans. There were a couple of calls where the arm didn't go up until there was a loud outcry from the MSG crowd.

I know the refereeing standard has dropped in past couple of decades, but that's the kind to thing you expect from House League Bantam refs, not the NHL....

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, RupertKBD said:

I was honestly surprised to see that they allowed themselves to be influenced by the fans. There were a couple of calls where the arm didn't go up until there was a loud outcry from the MSG crowd.

I know the refereeing standard has dropped in past couple of decades, but that's the kind to thing you expect from House League Bantam refs, not the NHL....

I'm sure they are embarrassed, that really got away from them 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I'm sure they are embarrassed, that really got away from them 

Whichever one made the call on the "crosscheck" in OT has to be feeling like an idiot right now.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Refs boned Carolina 

Nah, Shesterkin screwed them, as did their special teams, their PK was 5/7

They had five powerplay opportunities and couldn't score on any of them, they had 57 shots and still couldn't win 

One can question the call but the Canes had plenty of chances to have it not even get to OT, Shesterkin was brilliant

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Whichever one made the call on the "crosscheck" in OT has to be feeling like an idiot right now.

Was similar to the Lindholm crosscheck with 30 seconds left. Dumb calls at crucial times. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Nah, Shesterkin screwed them, as did their special teams, their PK was 5/7

They had five powerplay opportunities and couldn't score on any of them, they had 57 shots and still couldn't win 

One can question the call but the Canes had plenty of chances to have it not even get to OT, Shesterkin was brilliant

Canes PP looked like the Canucks.  So little movement.  They all kinda just stand in their spots and pass the puck around the perimeter.  

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Canes PP looked like the Canucks.  So little movement.  They all kinda just stand in their spots and pass the puck around the perimeter.  

Their powerplay wasn't overly impressive, agreed 

Rangers PK looked pretty solid though, hard to see Carolina winning 4/5 now but you never know 

An interesting choice, I thought Andersen played well last game 

If they lose this next one they're almost certainly dead in the water, Rags aren't gonna lose four straight