[Second Round] Vancouver Canucks (P1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

329 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Canucks in 7
    • Canucks in 6
    • Canucks in 5
    • Canucks in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

It'll be a tough series with McDavid playing extremely well, but I can see this is where running 3 deep with Miller, EP and Lindholm could make the difference. I had assumed Henrique would play C but he seems to have found a home at LW with McDavid, so that leaves McLeod and Ryan as their 3C and 4C. Lindholm and Miller may be able to limit McDavid and Draisaitl's lines, but if EP can finally get going, he could have some favorable matchups against EDM.

The Canucks are in tough against EDM but I'm encouraged that they were able to win a very defensively oriented series. EDM's offense is a force to be reckoned with, but as the saying goes, defense wins championships, and the Canucks may be a more balanced opponent than the Kings were.

• Like 1

Canucks in 5, play well in the first 2 games defend home ice and frustrat the hell of Mcdrai and this series will go the ways of the regular season series, all the pressure is on Edmonton it would look extremely bad on them if they get beat by a team that is on the up up and they were in a cup or bust year, not to mention they have been waiting revenge on us since game 1 of the season. They will get frustrated more easy than we will and we have to use that our advantage 

I think the key to this series will be special teams. We have the team structure and very solid goaltending to defend against Oils 5v5, but once they get a pp it'd be very tough to stop if they get multiple cracks. 

I'm already very happy that we're in round 2. Whatever happens, happens. I'm just going to enjoy this series. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Hockey God said:

Who is the most worthy (updated version)?

At this point in the season, everybody thinks they have a chance.  But, come the playoffs, what happens on the ice is not determined by the actions of the players, the decisions of the coaches, or even the longing of each team's fans. Some call it “puck luck”, but really, the difference between winning and losing is in the hands of the hockey gods.

True story: It's the night before Game 1 between the Vancouver Canucks and Nashville Predators, and Jim Rutherford knows he's been a bad, boastful boy, thinking he could turn the Canucks around before he retires and all. He has faith in his team and believes in his guys, but he knows if there's to be any chance at all, he's got to get right with the hockey gods. So he begs for an appearance before the council. They agree, and as quickly as Bobby Orr in his prime could skate down the ice on a one-man rush, he finds himself before the gods themselves.

There are seven of them, like mafia godfathers of old, and they're hanging out in the local Tim Horton’s, stocking up on some Turkey Bacon Clubs and a wide selection of the best doughnuts and coffee on offer, playing cards, and planning a nice, tidy Nashville Predators Game 7 win over the Canucks on the back of the hoodoo they plan to put on Thatcher Demko and then his backup, when Jim comes knocking.

They're not hearing him at first, cuz of course, cocky does not sit well with the high court of all things hockey. After all, look what happened to Alexandre Daigle, and how they rewarded Chris Pronger in return.  But, he wears them down. He apologizes for the cockiness; lost his head, so much love for the game, couldn't help himself, and so on. “I just want one more Cup win for my legacy”.

Then he hits them how the Canucks are the meek, waiting to inherit the earth, and he pleads with them to show their magnificence and benevolence, and now, like any good buttered-up deities, they're listening. They know that the Predators have had tastes of success before, and were thinking that now was the time to reward the fans for their loyalty to the team.  Jim, feeling bold, says that, ”It’s Vancouver’s time.  Can't you see your way clear to give me just one more Cup winning postseason, and the Canucks their own Cup win?”

A playoff outcome requires a unanimous decision, and the council is split now -- three of them think the GM's passion is impressive, while three think that the hex on Vancouver, dating back to their entry into the NHL, deserves to continue, possibly to become as famous as the curses their baseball god brethren have put on teams like the Cubs and the Red Sox in the past.  Undermining such power could mean the onset of a precipitous sort of moral decline the likes of which the world has never seen.  And, then, there’s the seventh god, Hockey God, who feels that the team has lacked heart and soul all season, and need to lose in the playoffs before they can win to build what they are missing.  He wants to support the Canucks, but he’s afraid to stop the growth process.  In his eyes, they may have to lose to win, but he's tired of them losing so much since they entered the NHL, and hates his fellow gods for snuffing out their chances in the past.  

Then, Jim plays his humble winning card: “I'm not asking for me, I'm asking for the good of the game.  A win for the Canucks will energize the people, make folks everywhere fans for life. Great water cooler talk, you know?  A win like this, and we're talking a popularity explosion, we're talking the greatest thing to happen to hockey since, well, the birth of “The Great One” Himself.”

Mention of the Great One, anointed by themselves, always goes down well with the gods, and they all agree to help out.  As one god puts it:  “A good story of a team overcoming insurmountable odds always gives Us more followers.  Let’s do it!”  So, yes, the Canucks will win games after their #1 goalie, and their #2 goalie, go down with injuries, and yes, the player who can go unsung at times, Brock Boeser, will be allowed to singlehandedly carry the Canucks to victory in one game, showing some of the heart and soul Hockey God wanted to see, and building some team spirit to win more tough games in the future. 

However, the gods can be fickle, and are still undecided as to whether they will allow the Vancouver Canucks to win any more games.  They need to feel the love from the Canuck fans.  Otherwise, they do have a soft spot for the Boston Bruins in the East (how else to explain what they did to the Canucks in 2011), and some even feel that a marquee match-up between the New York Rangers and the heir to the great one, Connor McDavid and his Edmonton Oilers, would do the league well.  A couple of the gods, though, are beginning to think that a story where Arturs Silovs carries the Canucks deep into the postseason, and even goes from playing minor league hockey to being the MVP of the Finals, kind of has a nice ring to it.  

Later …  

The gods are all on a hurried conference call, worried about what their recent decisions have come to.  They wanted Connor McJesus to win, to bring the Cup back to Canada AND honour the Edmonton Oilers, the home of the Great One Himself, maybe even have them play against the Toronto Maple Leafs, even though they’re still a little unsure about giving the Leafs a chance to go to Round 2.  However, the ghost of Harold Ballard himself has been pestering them a lot recently, asking for forgiveness for his hockey sins, and the gods are beginning to feel that Toronto fans have waited long enough.  Still, this Silovs thing … they definitely wanted the Canucks to win Round 1, to give the fans some joy after the Benning years, but this young fellow has been playing out of his mind, doing things he just shouldn’t be doing at his age and with his experience.  It’s leaving them all a bit breathless, and nervous.

One of the gods points out that it’s been a long time since a young goalie has made such a mark in the playoffs, the Sainted One, Patrick Roy, being the last great example.  They all nod their heads in agreement; Patrick always brings back fond memories with his fights, his ego, his charm.  And, who doesn't like a good ring joke?  Why not have another youngster make his mark in hockey history?  Another god then mentions that, after 2011, the penance has not yet been paid by Vancouver.  That was a stain on hockey, and standards must be maintained.  Nods all around.  This is a tough decision to make ....

Then, a new window opens in the conference call, and it’s one of their baseball godkin.  It’s always nice to catch up, but this is serious business.  What is he doing here?

“Feel good stories are the order of the day in baseball.  You look throughout our history, and you can find many examples of players coming up from the minors and making immediate impacts on their team and their season.  Some even go on to postseason glory, like Willie McGee, Whitey Ford, and just recently, Evan Carter.  You all now have a chance to write a story that would be unmatched in hockey history:  a 6th round pick, beanpole of a goalie, third stringer when the playoffs started, who is thrust into a starting role after injuries, leading his team to glory and a Cup win.  McJesus will get his Cup someday, but live in the moment, guys, and give Silovs a chance at not just legend status in Vancouver, but hockey immortality.  This would be the equivalent of a Zamboni driver becoming a goalie and ... well, I know You didn't follow through with that one, thank Us, but still, You only live once … well, not for Us, but You know what I mean.  Now, gotta get back to My own area to see just what happened to Mike Trout ….”

There is a period of silence after this interjection.  The seven gods stroke their ZZ Top-esque beards, hemming and hawing.  They’re unsure what to do, but the case has now been made for a Round 2 win that would echo through the ages, and what self-respecting deity doesn’t want to leave their own fingerprints on the game they love?  Will they do it?  The debate continues …      

Seriously….. did you have to write an essay?

• Haha 1
  • Wiener 1

I don't think this will be a long series, whichever team wins. Both can expose the other's weaknesses easily. Edmonton breezed past LA, we struggled against Nashville. I'd like to think that our defensive structure, PK, and great goalies can stop Edmonton but not many teams have been able to. On the flip side, our offence has struggled - sure against a stingy Nashville team, but Edmonton can play defence better than in the past. This will be close but it'll all come down to who can shut down who better. Their offence is on fire, our defence and goalie are on fire. Our offence and PP suck right now, their defence can be exposes but played well against LA.

Sadly I'd lean towards Edmonton exposing us more but let's just hope our big D can shut them down enough and our PP can win us the series when it matters most.

The other notable is the season series. We dominated them early on and that final game was the game of the year which again we won. Not sure the last time Edmonton beat us to be honest. The season series matchups are huge, we owned the Preds, Edmonton owned LA but we've owned Edmonton recently so this matchup game is our one key shot to beating them.

It'll probably be Edmonton in 6 but if our PP (and Petey) come alive, Canucks in 5. 

How do you pull Silovs out for Demko at this rate? I think it's his net to lose, if the Oilers start thrashing our goalies then we might have to start a carrousel (and DeSmith did stone them in the last game) but right now surely Silovs doesn't give up the net to anyone. 

Oilers PP at 45% and their PK at 100% vs our dreadful powerplay but solid PK will be such a key matchup. Stars vs stars. Obviously this doesn't bode well for us but it's our key to breaking open the series.

should be allowed 2 votes on this one....

IF Demko is back...Canucks in 5

If Silovs is the starter...Canucks in 6 or 7.

If the refs get TOO involved by helping McCrybaby...Oilers in 4. 

• Like 1

what's the over/under on Skinner getting yanked during this series? and by yanked either DURING a game or pulled for a different starter the next game.

1.5 +/-

• ThereItIs 1

On one hand I wish the lads had an extra day or two to rest and heal.

On the other hand I struggle to wait for the next game, especially after last nights win.

I'm pumped and no matter what happens in this round it's been a successful season as far as I'm concerned. But I'm hoping for more. I'm just being greedy now

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

IMG_4336.thumb.jpeg.fb68c9dcd823abaab61f903120c12f95.jpeg

GP

W

SO

GAA

SV%

17 9 1 3.32 .891 

career post season 

he’s no Sarros and the oilers don’t defend like Nash 

should take the Nucks 4 or 5 games to dispatch  

Mcdiver  his crew of whiners and the average on his best days goaltender. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Oilers PP at 45% and their PK at 100% vs our dreadful powerplay but solid PK will be such a key matchup. Stars vs stars. Obviously this doesn't bode well for us but it's our key to breaking open the series.

The Oiler numbers are pretty impressive but are they sustainable? If reversion to mean stands for anything then theoretically Oilers regress and the Canucks improve. 🙂 

Game 1 is a really big game. Canucks win, they keep home ice and lay doubts in the Oilers heads. Preds had lots of looks but missed shots, will the Oilers be better? Canucks had lots of looks will they be better? 

I had to smile that all teams seemed to be talking about their 'structure'. Never heard that phrase until Rutherford came along. 

No one knows anything. Did anyone on the planet have Silovs winning 2 games, including a series clinching shutout? Nope.

Yes best player in the world blah blah. 

This version of the Canucks can find a way.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

it's amazing how many Oiler fans are getting the brooms out already. They have ZERO confidence that we could hold a candle to their awesomness.

If we play as heavy and fast as we can... the brooms might be out alright, just not how THEY planned on using them.

Not predicting a sweep, either way. Just being realistic about things. The biggest difference maker in this series is the reffing. If they inject themselves to favour one team or the other, then all bets are off...either way. 

Maybe if the bookies have us as the underdogs, we'll get more favorable calls. Here's hoping.

• Cheers 1

Oilers are a good scoring team which has tightened their checking. Their powerplay is strong. They are not physical and have untested goalkeeping.

We are underdogs. We need to fix our offence and powerplay but the oilers don't have any bruisers and so we may feel a whole lot better with time and space to set up. A different challenge but i feel like we're going to enjoy playing offence again which will help.

We got contributions from different guys, be awesome if petey, hogs and hughes can get goals in round 2. Keep building.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Oilers are a good scoring team which has tightened their checking. Their powerplay is strong. They are not physical and have untested goalkeeping.

We are underdogs. We need to fix our offence and powerplay but the oilers don't have any bruisers and so we may feel a whole lot better with time and space to set up. A different challenge but i feel like we're going to enjoy playing offence again which will help.

We got contributions from different guys, be awesome if petey, hogs and hughes can get goals in round 2. Keep building.

the only real bruiser the Oilers have is when Nurse and Kane play dirty.  We have a Z and J for that. 

Edited by grumpyone
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

We need to do the exact same thing to Mcdavid that the Preds did to Hughes next series

• Cheers 2