[Second Round] Vancouver Canucks (P1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

329 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Canucks in 7
    • Canucks in 6
    • Canucks in 5
    • Canucks in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

Looking at the Oiler's stats I'm surprised to see how top heavy their scoring has been. Obviously they have their stars but their bottom-6 have really done nothing. A lot of their scoring came on the PP as well so that will clearly be key to shutting them down.

I wonder who we play against McDavid and Draisaitl's lines? I'd go head-to-head. Miller and Boeser against McDavid and Hyman, Lindholm against Draisaitl. Then Petey will be up against Henrique.

Defensively I think Hughes and Hronek deserve the McDavid matchup because it's so hard to play him physically. If they struggle we rotate but let the best skaters take each other on. Our bottom-4 defencemen I worry will be caught flat footed, and we'll need them against the heavier Draisaitl. We could try and crush McDavid and Hyman but I worry they'll just elude the physicality too easily.

Interesting matchup with lots of different possibilities. Home-ice advantage is huge for these matchups though.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

LA had one of the worst playoff showings in recent memory.  Sure the Oilers are good, but LA played their worst hockey all season.  Nashville was playing their best hockey all season and it only took us one more game to dispatch them.  We are comfortable playing tight playoff hockey.  The Oilers have shown in the past that they wilt when the going gets tough.  They will show the hockey world what they’re made of this series good or bad 

I think if we play Edmonton the way we did against Nashville - tight checking, lots of blocked shots, hard in the neutral zone and not much speed - we'll shut them down easily. McDavid doesn't generate that much from the cycle and puck battles. Draisaitl and Henrique can but again, not much. We grinded out our wins the hard way without much/any scoring off the rush and hardly any PPGs. This is an easy way to shutdown Edmonton.

If we get into a run-and-gun situation we'll be burned badly. Take lots of penalties and let them come through the neutral zone with speed and they'll score at will. We've got to keep playing this Nashville boring slow style to clamp down on them. I'm surprised LA didn't execute this game plan but they just got burned on the PK badly.

This is where Petey NEEDS to come alive.  Without him I think the season could very well end here.  No matter what happens though, I already consider this season a huge success.  Knocking out the Oilers would be fantastic though.  Just gonna enjoy the ride from here on out!  Go Canucks Go!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Looking at the Oiler's stats I'm surprised to see how top heavy their scoring has been. Obviously they have their stars but their bottom-6 have really done nothing. A lot of their scoring came on the PP as well so that will clearly be key to shutting them down.

I wonder who we play against McDavid and Draisaitl's lines? I'd go head-to-head. Miller and Boeser against McDavid and Hyman, Lindholm against Draisaitl. Then Petey will be up against Henrique.

Defensively I think Hughes and Hronek deserve the McDavid matchup because it's so hard to play him physically. If they struggle we rotate but let the best skaters take each other on. Our bottom-4 defencemen I worry will be caught flat footed, and we'll need them against the heavier Draisaitl. We could try and crush McDavid and Hyman but I worry they'll just elude the physicality too easily.

Interesting matchup with lots of different possibilities. Home-ice advantage is huge for these matchups though.

as long as their forwards run into Zeee brick wall trying to enter our zone, I'll be happy. One or two times and they'll be frustrated and dare I say pissy?

38 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

the only real bruiser the Oilers have is when Nurse and Kane play dirty.  We have a Z and J for that. 

Not the same level. This is where i think we have the secret advantage. I know mcdavid was out the last game but hymen was a no show in that game and i suspect we can make his life hell and keep him out of his cushy zone. It'll be a fight, but i think we have more grit.

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

This is where Petey NEEDS to come alive.  Without him I think the season could very well end here.  No matter what happens though, I already consider this season a huge success.  Knocking out the Oilers would be fantastic though.  Just gonna enjoy the ride from here on out!  Go Canucks Go!

the Oilers only have about 4 players that CAN score semi-regularly, while WE have 7 or 8 FORWARDS that score.

our D-men are head and shoulders more mobile than theirs.

our 3rd string goalie is equal to or better than their starter... and if Demko comes back, which I believe he will... the door will be closed on their season VERY quickly. 

• Like 1

You never know what you're going to get with the Oilers. Well, except McDavid will cry at the refs every time someone blinks at him. Hope they don't buy in too much.

The Oilers were .500 in April so they're not just slaying it. They can run hot and cold (as we've seen earlier in the year).

I'm just glad we have more Canucks hockey to watch...so awesome. Outside the arena last night was NUTS after the game ended. It's such a fun atmosphere in the city when we're in the playoffs.

• Cheers 3

One thing that needs to be pointed out is that the LAK offence isn't much of a threat.  Boeser would almost be the Kings top scorer in the regular season.  No player was a PPG for LA.

Yes the Canucks had trouble with them, but EDM is a perfect matchup against LA due to McDavid's speed.

Will be really interesting to see how the Canucks handle the Oilers offensive punch.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Not the same level. This is where i think we have the secret advantage. I know mcdavid was out the last game but hymen was a no show in that game and i suspect we can make his life hell and keep him out of his cushy zone. It'll be a fight, but i think we have more grit.

the only way I'm worried about Kane and Nurse is their propensity to play dirty and purposely injure players. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

the Oilers only have about 4 players that CAN score semi-regularly, while WE have 7 or 8 FORWARDS that score.

our D-men are head and shoulders more mobile than theirs.

our 3rd string goalie is equal to or better than their starter... and if Demko comes back, which I believe he will... the door will be closed on their season VERY quickly. 

I'd say their forwards overall are better than ours.  

Our defence core is stronger both defensively and physically.

Goaltending is probably closer than we think.

32 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

It's sports, it's rivalries. It's intense. You may do it differently but there's nothing wrong with trash talking and that ramps up in playoffs. It's part of it and isn't really toxic. 

I mean....first it was Miller who was toxic. Now it's the fans.

Maybe some just don't understand sports and the passion that's involved.

Some of us aren't as elevated as those 'fans of the game '. 

I am a Canucks fan, all other teams suck and their fans are trolls.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Nurse is a tool. Kane is a low character loser. 

We have nothing to worry about from a physical pov in this series.

Also: Big Z says "NO"

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 2

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Nurse is a tool. Kane is a low character loser. 

We have nothing to worry about from a physical pov in this series.

I agree, hope the refs are neutral and let the teams play though. 

• Like 1

Just because they had a shit start and one of the worst a contending team ever has too, doesn't mean it's a different team! Lmao it's the same damn team that chokes LA didn't play there game they played Edmonton's. Or that series would have gone to game 7. But stop giving them a write off because they went hot and tied the record for wins. Doesn't mean shit. Its not a different team it's the same edm team that lost their first 20 it seemed like lol and then turned it around and won 15. Take away both those streaks and they were guess what a normal team. Very beatable. 

Canucks in 5. They're gonna come out hot and hit the fuck outta their guys. Big Z will send someone to the hospital. Miller will hit Mcdavid every time he's on the ice. Peteys gonna get going. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, HKSR said:

One thing that needs to be pointed out is that the LAK offence isn't much of a threat.  Boeser would almost be the Kings top scorer in the regular season.  No player was a PPG for LA.

Yes the Canucks had trouble with them, but EDM is a perfect matchup against LA due to McDavid's speed.

Will be really interesting to see how the Canucks handle the Oilers offensive punch.

Nashville played much harder than la in the first round imo, I think we curb la too.

As far as EDM goes, who knows. If mcdickie gets gifted pp time it won't help.