Canucks get no respect

2 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Do you really believe the way they played in the regular season matters after absolutely demoralizing a structured team like the kings? They’re 4-1 in the playoffs. The regular season only determines home ice advantage. It plays absolutely no role in predicting the outcome of a playoff series. The Jets owned the Avs and Connor Hellebuyck is going to win the Vez. Did any of those factors come into that series? 

Regular season show they can also play like shit.I guess we chat after this round.Eating crow is not accepted anymore.But you will still have few friends left.

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

Their pp's been hot. They also have had 20 pp's and teams can gather some momentum when they're playing with a man advantage.

Just as the regular season doesn't count, nor does the previous round. Clean slate.

Just as the Jets owned the Avs, nothing's written in beforehand. There's a reason they play the games.

It won't be easy, but I'm not as sold as you are on the Oilers. And they've given me reason to not just buy into them sustaining a pace that just slays everyone.

This.

If one is going to play the "regular season doesn't count" card, then why not play the "previous round does not matter" card.  Edmonton won in 5. We won in 6.  Woopty doo

Nashville and Edmonton play two very different styles, with very different types of star players.  And the way teams match up with those styles produce different kinds of line match ups, producing different results. 

While there has to be some weight in making excuses that "The Oilers hadn't found their game yet when we beat them early", or "McDavid wasn't playing the last game", that only goes so far.  Surely there has to be something else inherent to Tocchet's system of play, that stymied the Oilers offence to such a degree in those games.  One can't just dismiss our regular season prowess against them so easily.

But I'm fine with the underdog status.  It will be all the sweeter to watch McCrybaby's face when we win game 1.  

8 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

Regular season show they can also play like shit.I guess we chat after this round.Eating crow is not accepted anymore.But you will still have few friends left.

The biggest advice I can give you at this point is to hit the space bar after a period. Once you learn how to form a sentence, I’ll take your view seriously. Until then, you’re just a homer. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, kilgore said:

This.

If one is going to play the "regular season doesn't count" card, then why not play the "previous round does not matter" card.  Edmonton won in 5. We won in 6.  Woopty doo

Nashville and Edmonton play two very different styles, with very different types of star players.  And the way teams match up with those styles produce different kinds of line match ups, producing different results. 

While there has to be some weight in making excuses that "The Oilers hadn't found their game yet when we beat them early", or "McDavid wasn't playing the last game", that only goes so far.  Surely there has to be something else inherent to Tocchet's system of play, that stymied the Oilers offence to such a degree in those games.  One can't just dismiss our regular season prowess against them so easily.

But I'm fine with the underdog status.  It will be all the sweeter to watch McCrybaby's face when we win game 1.  

In my opinion the playoffs are a better indicator of how a team plays in the playoffs. 

• Haha 1

The Canucks aren't disrespected. Plenty of people in the hockey world have noted how much they've improved as a team. 

I do think that the Canucks will prevail in this series, as I think the forward corps will finally start clicking. That being said, everyone who has Edmonton winning this series is free to make that prediction.

I think the majority see how anemic Pettersson's offense was in the Nashville series, and that's informed their prediction. He clearly has to get going if the Canucks have a chance in the series. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

The biggest advice I can give you at this point is to hit the space bar after a period. Once you learn how to form a sentence, I’ll take your view seriously. Until then, you’re just a homer. 

what?Youdon'tlikepoststhatdon'tusespaces?

• chaos 1

13 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

In my opinion the playoffs are a better indicator of how a team plays in the playoffs. 

Yup.  That's basically the same thing as I said.

And we haven't played this Edmonton team in the playoffs yet.

But what we do know:

Both teams won their first rounds in less than seven games.

One team swept the other in the regular season.

One team has already been crowned the winner and will be playing with a ton of pressure.

One team has home ice advantage.

But ultimately...lets let the actual playoffs decide who wins this round.

10 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Yup.  That's basically the same thing as I said.

And we haven't played this Edmonton team in the playoffs yet.

But what we do know:

Both teams won their first rounds in less than seven games.

One team swept the other in the regular season.

One team has already been crowned the winner and will be playing with a ton of pressure.

One team has home ice advantage.

But ultimately...lets let the actual playoffs decide who wins this round.

I’m just tired of people on here talking like they’re some kinda victim to the media when anyone with an IQ +60 can understand how the Oilers are heavy favorites. We have a guy starting who has, what? 12 NHL games under his belt? How can you not think the Oilers have the edge just on that alone. If we win, we are defying the odds. 
This just in, that’s ok. I will never understand why people in this fan base need validation from the media. I LOVE that nobody including myself thinks they can win. Just makes it that much more special if they do. 

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Do you really believe the way they played in the regular season matters after absolutely demoralizing a structured team like the kings? They’re 4-1 in the playoffs. The regular season only determines home ice advantage. It plays absolutely no role in predicting the outcome of a playoff series. The Jets owned the Avs and Connor Hellebuyck is going to win the Vez. Did any of those factors come into that series? 

Yes they did exactly the same thing to the Kings in the regular season their style exposes the Kings and our style exposes the Oilers so we should win this one and pretty easily unless we don’t show up 

25 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I’m just tired of people on here talking like they’re some kinda victim to the media when anyone with an IQ +60 can understand how the Oilers are heavy favorites. We have a guy starting who has, what? 12 NHL games under his belt? How can you not think the Oilers have the edge just on that alone.

Because the Oilers have a starting goalie who has proven that he doesn't belong in the NHL and can't handle pressure situations.

22 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I’m just tired of people on here talking like they’re some kinda victim to the media when anyone with an IQ +60 can understand how the Oilers are heavy favorites. We have a guy starting who has, what? 12 NHL games under his belt? How can you not think the Oilers have the edge just on that alone. If we win, we are defying the odds. 
This just in, that’s ok. I will never understand why people in this fan base need validation from the media. I LOVE that nobody including myself thinks they can win. Just makes it that much more special if they do. 

I hear ya

But as a fan, I WANT TO BELIEVE, like Mulder on X Files.  So even though I know deep deep down.....that the Oilers are heavy favourites......its fun to promote any kind of doubt into Oilers heads.  Like its only natural for a team to have at least some psychological hit from losing all regular season games against an upcoming playoff opponent.  Just like the Oilers would also have some psychological boost if they had won every regular season game against us.

Plus Tocchet gets last change in 4 out of 7 games, to match up our best defensive line with his.

Am I grasping at straws?  I don't really give a damn I guess.  I'm 100% biased and living in a dream world.  A dream of seeing the Canucks lift the Cup in my lifetime. So I will use any stat or advantage, no matter how significant, to keep my hopes alive. 

But every fan handles it differently. No way is wrong. Some don't want to get too up in order to not have the great crash down and so look to that little thing called "reality" to keep them grounded and braced for the worst. Some imagine everything going perfect.  Petey does an instant 180, and Silovs is the new young Dryden or Roy for us.  Some are in the middle and can handle having two outcomes in their heads at once. Usually depending on who has won the last game against each other.

i guess I'm more of a person that avoids reality and logic when my team is in the playoffs.  Because many times it doesn't apply. What are the odds of us coming back from a 0-3 deficit against the Dragon in '11?  Conversely, what are the odds of losing the Final when we were up 2-0 to start it?  Thats why I choose to be overly optimistic before any round. Watching a game like Canuckfanforlife/forever does where you predict reasons for them to lose and when they do one can crow about it, is not a fun way to watch a game.  If they lose, I may have set myself up for a long drop, but i'll deal with the depression if and when it happens.  I've got months of nice weather, and living in the best Province in Canada in the Summer to get over it.

4 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Lol play LaBamba baby! 

2 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Imagine that... A homer on a Canucks fan forum...

This series will come down to special teams execution and whether our defense can stop them from attacking our zone with speed and backing up the D to create time and space. 

As much as I love Z and Myers, sometimes they back in too much and give the opponents too much time and space. 

The key will be team defense. Our forwards need to come back hard and create back pressure on the back check. Our bigs on D then need to step up at the blue line and lay someone out to discourage them from coming in with speed. 

Nashville had it too easy on the entries this round which could hurt us against a team like Edmonton. 

Im sure Oilers will try to exploit that. RT will make his adjustments. It was actually good that that was our weak point against Nashville. It gives the staff something to look at and fix. 

Special teams, our pk will need to keep playing well and it'd be nice if our PP got going. Oilers will get some goals on their PP, (even if our pk does well) but it's be nice if our PP can answer. 

Honestly, who cares. Let them think what they want. This means all the pressure is on the Oilers, and I’d rather be the underdog than choke as the favourite. 

If we do beat them, and I’m confident we will, they will look extremely foolish, as will the dumbass Oiler fans calling a sweep 🤣

Goaltending and # PPs will decide the series.....if both are average for both sides, I like the Canucks chances because I really like the Canucks D right now.  If the refs let this be playoff hockey like we saw in the last series, McDavid will be whiny, Draisitl will be neutralized as much as possible and I think we'll see more shots from the outside.  On the other end, I think the Edmonton D and goalie can be exposed much more so than Nashville and EP & Hogz should be able to come out of their rut with a bit more space.

After that last series, I have a tonne of respect for Nashville......they played hard, didn't play dirty aside from a couple of guys who drew the refs in intentionally, and the crowd / city were passionate but not rude.  Classy series.  What can we expect from this next series?!!!  McFloppy?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

After that last series, I have a tonne of respect for Nashville......they played hard, didn't play dirty aside from a couple of guys who drew the refs in intentionally, and the crowd / city were passionate but not rude.  Classy series.  What can we expect from this next series?!!!  McFloppy?

weird i was thinking the same thing

normally i hate any team that isn't my own but respect to nashville both for their play and their fans

• Cheers 2

Everyone hates this team. We act like we are better than everyone else and we’ve never won shit. Our history is nothing but heartbreak. Sitting here acting like we accomplished something by beating these guys 4 times in the regular season.  

3 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Everyone hates this team. We act like we are better than everyone else and we’ve never won shit. Our history is nothing but heartbreak. Sitting here acting like we accomplished something by beating these guys 4 times in the regular season.  

put down the bong, you're making up stuff now. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Batman Facepalm GIF by WE tv

10 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

have some pride.