Canucks get no respect

4 hours ago, LaBamba said:

I’m just not a fan of the little group of people within our fan base that ruin our reputation.

I mean if there was a way we could round them up and send them to live in Alberta, we would. 

I get your frustration, I do, but who really gives a shit about respect from the TO fan base, e.g., I sure don't. 

If we do ever end up winning the cup, its for us, screw the rest of the league. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Not sure if this is the result of being a lifelong Canuck fan or having typically been picked last for stuff in school but...  I LOVE being seen as the underdog!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 5/6/2024 at 8:06 PM, gizmo2337 said:

Ha ha, Boston just won game one. The predictions won't decide the outcome.

I'd say the column on the right is doing pretty good so far lol

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2024 at 10:43 AM, RJCF96 said:

IMO we are underdogs for multiple reasons:

1). Demko's injury. With Helly out in round 1, a healthy Demko is arguably the best remaining goalie in the playoffs (though Swayman is playing out of his mind in Boston, and gives me bad Tim Thomas flashbacks). Demko is the type of goalie that can straight up steal games in a playoff series, and against a top offensive team like the Oilers, having Demko is like having an Ace in net and could give teams an edge. In a playoff series, a hot goalie is more important than having a good goalie. We have seen Vezina calibre goalies get picked apart in the playoffs, just see Helly in Winnipeg this year. We have also seen back-up and third-string goalies got hot at the right time and go on an amazing run. However, odds makers and predictions are based on data, and without Demko, we are not as scary as a team.

2). Lack of production from Pettersson since mid February. To beat a team like the Oilers, you need to be firing at all cylinders. Not sure what really happened with Pettersson since mid-February, but for a while, he isn't playing like himself. He had a disappointing first round production wise, but he seems to have been getting better each game. Until he breaks out of this slump, the Canucks would still be playing atleast at a tier below their potential. Because when Pettersson is on, he is one of the top 10 and arguably top 5 players in the league.

3). The Oilers dominance over the Kings in round 1. The Oilers made beating the Kings in that round look easy. Their forwards are scoring at will and they picked apart a defensively sound Kings team like they were made of wall paper. I am a firm believer that the Oilers at this point has the Kings figured out and the Kings just don't match up well against the Oilers. In fact, I didn't think we played that bad against the Kings in the regular season series. Outside of the first game where we lost 5-1, I thought we outplayed them in the last 3 remaining games. The difference was Talbot. Talbot is an average sometimes a sieve against any team that isn't the Canucks, but he is a breakwall against us. Statistically, we are the one team that he consistently beats (every goalie has one of these teams), we just happened to be that one for him. I believe if we played those 3 games against the Kings with a different goalie of Talbot's calibre in net, we could've won all 3.

4). Experience in the playoffs. This is our team as a core group's first time making the playoffs in a non-covid bubble environment. Oilers have had multiple playoff experience in the past 2 seasons under their belt, and they lost to the eventual cup champion in back-to-back seasons. Pundits believe this is the Oilers turn to take that next step. And that isn't wrong, because if this isn't the Canucks and Oilers and you replace it with 2 different teams of similar situation instead, we would likely be favouring the team with more playoff experience.

For the Canucks to beat the Oilers, we would need everyone performing at their best. That means our goaltending has to be at their best; offense clicking and firing all cylinders. The Defense has to continue to be tough to play against and make the job easy on our goalies. Our players have to be stay discipline and not get into penalty troubles.

For the Oilers to beat the Canucks, they would have to ensure their star players to continue to be their star players and take advantage of their special teams play. Their goalie also can't be a sieve like they were at the beginning of the season (Skinner has really turned the corner since that horrible start).

Right now, looking purely from recent performance, the Oilers are more on their game than we are. However, that could change at the drop of the puck in Game 1. Boston put up a surprised convincing victory over the Panthers last night, and everything thought the winner of Boston/Toronto is going to get whipped by the Panthers. Atleast for 1 game, this isn't the case.

All I want to note is, it is understandable and acceptable for outsiders/neutrals to pick the Oilers over the Canucks. That doesn't mean the Canucks are going to lose this series. This is the strongest group of final 8 remaining in the playoffs in a long time. I don't see one easy team to beat among them. Every series this round seems to be must watch TV for hockey fans. For the Canucks, who some predicted aren't even suppose to make the playoffs to join this group of elite 8, it is a huge accomplishment. I have faith in our current group of players and coaches. They will not go down without a fight, and we are definitely not a pushover. There is still another gear that we haven't seen from the Canucks since before the all-star break, I am excited to see if they can turn up another knotch now that the competition is getting tougher. We should just sit back and enjoy some very good hockey we are about to witness. Be loud, be proud of this team and Go Canucks Go!

Don't take it as an insult that I am shooting down your whole well written post. 

But I am pretty sure the results would be no different if Petterson was playing good and Demko was in net. Their sentiment is based on emotion. Not rationality. 

We won the division and the season series. Why does that count for nothing ?

It is just that same old butthurt salty Canucks hate. What we did to the rest of the league I'll never know. Oh well. 

Edited by Blue

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 6:47 PM, LaBamba said:

I’m going to get banned cause I think we have a toxic fan base? lol. 

I don’t see much toxicity on this board. Just some coming from you. Even though I don’t disagree with a couple of your points 

Edited by Pianoman

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Don't take it as an insult that I am shooting down your whole well written post. 

But I am pretty sure the results would be no different if Petterson was playing good and Demko was in net. Their sentiment is based on emotion. Not rationality. 

We won the division and the season series. Why does that count for nothing ?

It is just that same old butthurt salty Canucks hate. What we did to the rest of the league I'll never know. Oh well. 

You are probably right, even if we have everyone healthy, they would still have the Oilers ahead of us in odds.

However, what if it is the other way around:

Canucks beat Nashville relatively quickly in 5 games, Demko healthy and playing lights out, Miller, Pettersson, Boeser all above a-point-per-game after the series.

Oilers barely edge out the Kings in a 7 game nail biter, they had to switch between Skinner and Pickard in net as Skinner was shaky early and was able to hold his own in the end while Jack Campbell was also called up as insurance throughout the process. McDavid appeared to be banged up, and Draisait appear to have sprained his ankle and also isn't 100%.

If that's the case, then I can see the Canucks be seen as favourites this series.

It is a fine line between winning and losing and teams are so close these days that health of a player, a hot streak or fortunate bounce can decide a series.

In this case, then I could see the Canucks be viewed as favourites

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, LaBamba said:

The Oilers copied me. I’ve been LaBamba for eons. 
I’d also like to clarify. I am a diehard Canucks fan. I’m just not a fan of the little group of people within our fan base that ruin our reputation. I find the majority of Canuck fans I interact with are “cautiously optimistic” they aren’t loud belligerent mouth pieces that we see on twitter.

this is one of the reasons we get no respect. Even in 2011 we didn’t get the respect. It’s because we are so obsessed with validation because of the insecurities we all have over our heartbreaking history. I also admit that I have become extremely pessimistic over the 30 years I’ve cheered for these guys. I’ve gotten my hopes up so many times, thinking that the Stanley cup was imminent only to be sadly mistaken. I’ve found that having the expectation of a negative outcome prepares me better for the disappointment. I apologize if I get carried away with negativity when people challenge me. I assure you all that I want nothing more than a Stanley cup. 

This isn't true at all. 

For 9 years the Canucks fanbase was the most self critical in the league. We flogged our owners , our GMs , coach and players. For 9 years.

Then things turned around this year. And before Canucks fans had a chance to react , the rest of the league already leaped into hate mode. And when fans reacted , we were all skeptical at first. But when we all got blind sided by the hate again , we started making fun of PDO and sticking up for our team.

Different team , totally different roster , no Sedins or Kesler , nobody. But the same salty hate as 2011.

First we were power-play merchant's. Then PDO merchants. Then first round knockout fodder. Just accept it. They will never like or respect you. Probably even if we win a cup.

6 minutes ago, Blue said:

This isn't true at all. 

For 9 years the Canucks fanbase was the most self critical in the league. We flogged our owners , our GMs , coach and players. For 9 years.

Then things turned around this year. And before Canucks fans had a chance to react , the rest of the league already leaped into hate mode. And when fans reacted , we were all skeptical at first. But when we all got blind sided by the hate again , we started making fun of PDO and sticking up for our team.

Different team , totally different roster , no Sedins or Kesler , nobody. But the same salty hate as 2011.

First we were power-play merchant's. Then PDO merchants. Then first round knockout fodder. Just accept it. They will never like or respect you. Probably even if we win a cup.

The media rates teams base on reputation and previous performance. Up until this season, for the past 9 seasons, there is really nothing really good about Canucks.

Horrible management signing and trading for baffling contracts. Coaches getting fired and jerseys being tossed on the ice. Players wanting out and we had to trade our captain just last season. Unfortunately, we had been a joke of a franchise under Jim Benning for too long.

It is hard to change the perception of a team after 1 good season. I am very happy with how things went this season and very proud of what the team has accomplished so far. I am most glad that Benning is gone and we have competent people managing the organization at every level for the first time in a long time.

We have a large and vocal fanbase who loves to engage with media online. Unfotunately, historically, negativity sells in this market. Media at the end of the day is a business and they need to generate traffic through clicks/discussions. They know doing this will get the Canucks fanbase engaged.

I don't feel like it is necessary that the media hates the Canucks. They are just doing what they do to generate discussion. It is really annoying, but it is also reality.

The best way to change the narrative of this is by actually winning the games and be a good team consistently (not a one year wonder), consistently put up 100+ point seasons one after another and be a playoff team year after year. Our reputation will have to been rebuilt.

It wasn't that long ago the Hurricanes were seen as a joke. Relocation rumours and the famous line of "Will somebody please come to our game?" They made the playoffs every year since 2018 and now they are seen as a contender pretty much every season. It takes time to peel off the stain from losing year after year.

• Cheers 1

On 5/8/2024 at 1:35 PM, Blue said:

This isn't true at all. 

This is victim mentality.   For years during the JB era, spent time putting quotes from the "biased Eastern media",  that said nice things about us.  

Got tired of doing this eventually stopped engaging.  

Then this year, we have a great start, and a significant portion of the NHL media was on our bandwagon.    Short memories!    Some of the loudest naysayers, local Canucks media.   Going back to the Gallagher tin-foil hat days, we certainly have had some of the leagues best spin-doctors, were the ones leading the PDO angle! 

Rest of the league - hate mode?   Can't you see the problems with adding fuel to that particular fire?   It continues a loser mentality and perception.    Makes it seem more "real". 

Sure was all fun for awhile early on.  We forget things like the media sharing Brayden Points viewpoint on our team "has every key ingredient for a championship team"   Gretzky's comments " this team can go as far as they believe they can".    Which the media happily shared.   As for SN.   Didn't take much digging to find an article saying we were done dirty ... and one from EDM's writer going over the institutionalized surrender blah blah blah.    Both made decent points.    Last game. 

Grew tired trying to fight a certain portion of this fanbase that seems to both celebrate and embrace the "victimhood" culture.   "Everyone hates us, we don't care !"     Never liked that one much.  

During the 2011 run,  saw a ton of fan support for us in the Ottawa valley and in Montreal.    The "whole country" wants us to fail is simply a bunch of bullshit.    Media certainly enjoyed that.   Nobody needs to wonder why there were riots.    For half a decade, a SENs game, was half blue have red or so it seemed anyways, that certainly doesn't fit this "everyone hates us" mantra.   Even now, there is a lot of skate and orca jerseys walking around, and "Go Canucks GO!" still persists. 

Like to try and be a responsible stakeholder,  as fans we do have a say.   And can choose to ignore the "haters", which certainly isn't "everyone else"!   That's ludicrous.   THN, SN, HNIC said a lot of nice things about this team all season long.   Pointing out our 3rd period lead record.   Talking heads.   The fans?   Well which team sent 5 guys plus Lindholm to the all-star game.    

What you may be failing to recognize, is a media source picking a team to win as "hating".    Guess who these guys picked in the pre-season to get to the final four or the finals or win it all?    Practically every single writer, had EDM in one of those brackets.   

We seemed to "break" EDM to start the season which was great.    Can't ignore the fact once Coffey and co stepped in their ship was righted. 

PDO ... Drance.   Some writers, are just bad at it other then wordsmithing, and get hung up on not being wrong.   Brockstar.   Seen a lot of fans do that too.   On this site.

Not saying that there aren't some media types that actually "hate" us.   That's a strong word that creates strong emotions.    Just because it's part of the "storyline", particularly in the tin-foul hat crowd, doesn't mean we need to help keep that culture.    Rather we be feared then loved?   Well how about just not being at cause about it, instead of a constant effect of it?     Anyone is says "everyone hates me, I don't care " is lying. 

32 minutes ago, Joe King said:

They can't get no respect around here. They went to McDonald's the other day. The clerk said you don't deserve a break today. (Rodney Dangerfield)

I tell ya, my old man, he was never nice. I asked him if I can go ice skating on the lake. He told me to wait until it gets warmer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, IBatch said:

This is victim mentality.   For years during the JB era, spent time putting quotes from the "biased Eastern media",  that said nice things about us.  

Got tired of doing this eventually stopped engaging.  

Then this year, we have a great start, and a significant portion of the NHL media was on our bandwagon.    Short memories!    Some of the loudest naysayers, local Canucks media.   Going back to the Gallagher tin-foil hat days, we certainly have had some of the leagues best spin-doctors, were the ones leading the PDO angle! 

Rest of the league - hate mode?   Can't you see the problems with adding fuel to that particular fire?   It continues a loser mentality and perception.    Makes it seem more "real". 

Sure was all fun for awhile early on.  We forget things like the media sharing Brayden Points viewpoint on our team "has every key ingredient for a championship team"   Gretzky's comments " this team can go as far as they believe they can".    Which the media happily shared.   As for SN.   Didn't take much digging to find an article saying we were done dirty ... and one from EDM's writer going over the institutionalized surrender blah blah blah.    Both made decent points.    Last game. 

Grew tired trying to fight a certain portion of this fanbase that seems to both celebrate and embrace the "victimhood" culture.   "Everyone hates us, we don't care !"     Never liked that one much.  

During the 2011 run,  saw a ton of fan support for us in the Ottawa valley and in Montreal.    The "whole country" wants us to fail is simply a bunch of bullshit.    Media certainly enjoyed that.   Nobody needs to wonder why there were riots.    For half a decade, a SENs game, was half blue have red or so it seemed anyways, that certainly doesn't fit this "everyone hates us" mantra.   Even now, there is a lot of skate and orca jerseys walking around, and "Go Canucks GO!" still persists. 

Like to try and be a responsible stakeholder,  as fans we do have a say.   And can choose to ignore the "haters", which certainly isn't "everyone else"!   That's ludicrous.   THN, SN, HNIC said a lot of nice things about this team all season long.   Pointing out our 3rd period lead record.   Talking heads.   The fans?   Well which team sent 5 guys plus Lindholm to the all-star game.    

What you may be failing to recognize, is a media source picking a team to win as "hating".    Guess who these guys picked in the pre-season to get to the final four or the finals or win it all?    Practically every single writer, had EDM in one of those brackets.   

We seemed to "break" EDM to start the season which was great.    Can't ignore the fact once Coffey and co stepped in their ship was righted. 

PDO ... Drance.   Some writers, are just bad at it other then wordsmithing, and get hung up on not being wrong.   Brockstar.   Seen a lot of fans do that too.   On this site.

Not saying that there aren't some media types that actually "hate" us.   That's a strong word that creates strong emotions.    Just because it's part of the "storyline", particularly in the tin-foul hat crowd, doesn't mean we need to help keep that culture.    Rather we be feared then loved?   Well how about just not being at cause about it, instead of a constant effect of it?     Anyone is says "everyone hates me, I don't care " is lying. 

It isn't a victim mentality at all. It's about being friends with ppl who want to be friends and enemies with ppl who want to be enemies. Who cares about winning anyone over. That's a waste of time.

I am honestly so disappointed in the national media during this Oilers series. 

Outside of Vancouver's media, it is so obvious that everyone else is biased towards the Oilers. Whether it's the HNIC panel, Chris Cuthbert and Craig Simpson, TSN, or any other outlet, they are all cheering for the Oilers and their commentary is so one-sided. They will talk about an infraction the Canucks committed but not mention anything about an Oiler who did the same thing.

We get a penalty - they say it's deserved. Oilers get a penalty - they say it was a soft call. 

Silovs makes a save - they say it's lucky. McDavid so much as takes a breath - they say it's the greatest breath ever taken

It's obvious everyone wants us to lose. I hope we can stay focused and stay above it all

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

A few nights ago TNT did a report about the four playoff teams remaining in the West. They went into detail about Dallas, Colorado and Edmonton. After those three teams were covered they said, "...plus there's the Vancouver Canucks." That's all.-- like the Canucks are an inconsequential afterthought. Now up in the series 2-1 over the Stanley Cup favourites, maybe they won't be an afterthought anymore

• ThereItIs 1

Listen to salty Frank here. The Flames podcast guy asks him a question and he goes into a rant about how Vancouver has no chance in the 3rd round either. That's the next salty take on the Canucks. First the Oilers were supposed to beat us. If that doesn't happen, the Canucks suck anyway

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Listen to salty Frank here. The Flames podcast guy asks him a question and he goes into a rant about how Vancouver has no chance in the 3rd round either. That's the next salty take on the Canucks. First the Oilers were supposed to beat us. If that doesn't happen, the Canucks suck anyway

What did we ever do to frank? 

52 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

What did we ever do to frank? 

He was proud that he was one of the few that  picked us as a playoff team before this season started. But ever since the regular season ended, he's trashed the Canucks.