MacKinnon, Kucherov, and McDavid are Hart finalists

Who wins?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Take your pick

Kucherov should win and it'll be ridiculous if either of the other two beat him. He had 54 more points than the next highest scorer on his team.

• ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

MacKinnon and McDavid both had a teammate with over 100 points.

Should be Kucherov who wins.

I don't think that's the only consideration. Point and Stamkos might not have hit 100 but they were both over a PPG (and both scored 40+ goals) plus Hedman was at a PPG and Hagel had 75 points. Kucherov still had a lot of support in Tampa.

Colorado had a pretty big drop off after Rantanen and Makar for support and I'm sure by now we've all seen the numbers that show that MacKinnon greatly elevated Makar this year. Also, even though Rantanen got to 100 points there was still a 36 point difference between him and MacKinnon.

Not to take away from Kucherov, but I think MacKinnon did more to drive play and elevate his teammates this year. I think he finally takes home his first Hart.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I don't think that's the only consideration. Point and Stamkos might not have hit 100 but they were both over a PPG (and both scored 40+ goals) plus Hedman was at a PPG and Hagel had 75 points. Kucherov still had a lot of support in Tampa.

Colorado had a pretty big drop off after Rantanen and Makar for support and I'm sure by now we've all seen the numbers that show that MacKinnon greatly elevated Makar this year. Also, even though Rantanen got to 100 points there was still a 36 point difference between him and MacKinnon.

Not to take away from Kucherov, but I think MacKinnon did more to drive play and elevate his teammates this year. I think he finally takes home his first Hart.

It's not the only factor, and yes Kuch had quality support too. The drop off in production from his point total to his next higher teammate is too high for me to ignore though. Being considered the league's MVP while having another top 10 scorer on your team feels like it isn't in the spirit of the award.

I won't be surprised if Mack wins though. He's up against players that won 4 of the last 7 Harts so that may also play a factor in voters preferring a new winner.

MacKinnon also has the power of a narrative behind him, many view him as being due. I wouldn't discount that, because there's a good chance it'll work in his favour. 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Kucherov should win and it'll be ridiculous if either of the other two beat him. He had 54 more points than the next highest scorer on his team.

McKinnon had 84 more points than the AVs fourth leading scorer.    TB you could make a case for better support.  Their 3rd leading scorer (COL) was a defenseman.   Drouin at 56 points.  Rantanen at 104 verus Point and Stamkos.     Don't think it's ridiculous at all.   Exactly who the finalists were supposed to be,  McKinnon/Kucherov and McDavid.     Of those 3, know who id pick to be on our team, as far as Hart goes, McKinnon and Kucherov for sure are the front runners.    McKinnon plays a more important position without Stamkos and Point to help out.   Not that Rantenen is chopped liver because he's not.     But he's no Stamkos or Point either. 

A case could have been made for Hellebuyck too.   

Edited by IBatch

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

McKinnon had 84 more points than the AVs fourth leading scorer. 

Right, but he had Makar and Rantanen helping him out. That's a world of a difference.

If we're going down to look at 2-4 ranked scorers, you get this:

image.png.733592089c35c19bac252c13c7ec75a5.png

Pretty close from that perspective. When you consider that you only really have a maximum of three point getters per goal, adding too many players when considering how much higher they were than teammates also becomes irrelavant. To illustrate the point, it wouldn't be sensible to compare the 15th highest point getters compared to MacKinnon and Kucherov, and this is because we intuitively know that players down there aren't relevant to the top scorers. The closer they are up in total points, the more likely they are contributing to the players' offense. Both players are likely drawing on the skills of their top teammates (Rantanen and Point) much moreso than the 4th ranked point scorers (Mittelstadt and Hedman), and Kucherov's top point scorering teammates are simply not nearly as good.

COL doesn't have nearly the same depth they had when they won the cup.   They are 100% driven by what McKinnon does.   He's their heart.    He's had several great seasons already, this was his best one.     Don't see it going to McDavid or Kucherov.   Seen strange things happen before though so who knows. 

Posted (edited)

Middlestadt played 18 games and got 10 points.  Their second best C was Ross Colton with 17 goals and 40 points.    Drouin, was their fourth best point guy with 56.    Yes he had Rantanen and Makar, after that a big drop off.   Kucherov had Stamkos, Point, Hedman.     I'd take those three guys over Makar, Rantanen and Drouin anyday.   Stamkos had over 100 a year ago ... and yes he's aging.    This isn't the same deep COL team that won the cup.   Yet is winning anyways.   That's McKinnon driven. 

Edited by IBatch

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Middlestadt played 18 games and got 10 points.  Their second best C was Ross Colton with 17 goals and 40 points.    Drouin, was their fourth best point guy with 56.    Yes he had Rantanen and Makar, after that a big drop off.   Kucherov had Stamkos, Point, Hedman.     I'd take those three guys over Makar, Rantanen and Drouin anyday.   Stamkos had over 100 a year ago ... and yes he's aging.    This isn't the same deep COL team that won the cup.   Yet is winning anyways.   That's McKinnon driven. 

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think Makar remains the best defenseman in the world and Rantanen is better than anyone else on the Bolts aside from Kucherov. I honestly don't think the rest of the team matters enough when it comes to the Hart. I would almost contend that Makar is more important to the Avs than MacKinnon.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think Makar remains the best defenseman in the world and Rantanen is better than anyone else on the Bolts aside from Kucherov. I honestly don't think the rest of the team matters enough when it comes to the Hart. I would almost contend that Makar is more important to the Avs than MacKinnon.

We aren't in a big disagreement.  It was the ridiculous comment that got me going a little.   It's close not ridiculous.    TB lost a lot of their depth too.  And their stars are aging.   Kucherov isn't a center,  and not sure why Point and Stamkos (aging of course) you'd consider better then Rantanen and Drouin.    Hedman isn't exactly chopped liver, and Makar isn't miles ahead of him even though Makar had a bit of an off year and was rewarded playing with McKinnon.  If Mckinnon played in TB, and Kucherov in COL,  TB would be considered a contender.   And Drouin would be centering Rantenen and Kucherov.    And probably scored ... more. 

Edited by IBatch

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

As for Makar,  he's amazing no doubt.  Don't take any offense with that at all.   This year wasnt Makar's best season.   McKinnon had a career year.    

Edit:  Also felt Hellebuyck deserved a spot.   So what do I know.   But not over McKinnon or Kucherov's. 

Edited by IBatch

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

MacKinnon also has the power of a narrative behind him, many view him as being due. I wouldn't discount that, because there's a good chance it'll work in his favour. 

I've seen this happen 3 times with the Norris, twice egregious.   And once with the Hart too.   Perry over Daniel.   On the strength of 20 goals in about as many games at the end of the season.   This time it's not bad.   Just hope McDavid doesn't get it.   

Edited by IBatch

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I've seen this happen 3 times with the Norris, twice egregious.   And once with the Hart too.   Perry over Daniel.   On the strength of 20 goals in about as many games at the end of the season.   This time it's not bad.   Just hope McDavid doesn't get it.   

I don't see McDavid getting it, but I do think he's a deserving nominee. He's a big part of why Edmonton was able to climb out of the hole they dug for themselves early on and if he'd been healthy all year it'd have probably been another Art Ross win for him. 

Kucherov just doesn't have the same buzz around him that MacKinnon does and I think that'll influence voting. Narratives matter, it's why being nominated at all matters, once you've been nominated you're more likely to win imo. MacKinnon is also more likeable than Kucherov. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't see McDavid getting it, but I do think he's a deserving nominee. He's a big part of why Edmonton was able to climb out of the hole they dug for themselves early on and if he'd been healthy all year it'd have probably been another Art Ross win for him. 

Kucherov just doesn't have the same buzz around him that MacKinnon does and I think that'll influence voting. Narratives matter, it's why being nominated at all matters, once you've been nominated you're more likely to win imo. MacKinnon is also more likeable than Kucherov. 

The problem is McDavid is an anus tart.

24 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Not to discount McDavid pulling EDM back into the picture, but it feels like Pastrnak may have been more deserving of being a finalist.

43 more points than next highest scorer, on a team that lost Bergeron and Krejci and therefore were expected to fall apart.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

The problem is McDavid is an anus tart.

And Kucherov is an arrogant prick, doesn't change the fact that he had a helluva year.