Theory about Peterson’s struggles (probably not real)

1 hour ago, cuporbust said:

People apparently have short memories.  He does this every year for long stretches 

Like when he puts up 102 points?  Or 89 points this year?

Or maybe you think that is nothing?  How many players hit over 100 points in their career?

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Like when he puts up 102 points?  Or 89 points this year?

Or maybe you think that is nothing?  How many players hit over 100 points in their career?

Long stretches might be an overstatement,  but @cuporbust has a point.   He does have stretches where he's all world, followed by more human stretches.     As for wingers, he did a lot of damage with Goldobin.   Maybe when he wasn't garnering the same attention but still.    

We do need to be patient with him, for sure he's earned that. 

Edited by IBatch

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Long stretches might be an overstatement,  but @cuporbust has a point.   He does have stretches where he's all world, followed by more human stretches.     As for wingers, he did a lot of damage with Goldobin.   Maybe when he wasn't garnering the same attention but still.    

We do need to be patient with him, for sure he's earned that. 

For me the stretch started when Tocchet wanted to work more on the defence and have a top 9 team.

It limits offence and Petey us often surrounded by two players. It’s still much easier to skate on the left side for our players.

I thought he played well pretty much since Game 5 against Nashville.

Last night, I thought he was good. Unfotunately, his line-mates aren't quite in-sync with him. There was a play early in the second when it was 2-1, Hoglander has the puck and Petey head straight to the net, Hoglander should've just passed him the puck and he would've went in alone. Instead, Hoglander held onto it a little too long and he went for back-pass to a trailing D instead.

Subtle little plays like that tells me that as long as he is given better line-mates, he can produce.

I wouldn't mind trying to load up the "lotto line" again:

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Lindholm-Garland

Mikeyehev-Suter-Hoglander

PDG-Blueger-Lafferty

I understand Tocchet wants the 1-2-3 punch in centre of Miller, Pettersson, Lindholm, this way he feels more comfortable matching any of the top 3 lines against the opponent's lines.

6 hours ago, LillStrimma said:

For me the stretch started when Tocchet wanted to work more on the defence and have a top 9 team.

It limits offence and Petey us often surrounded by two players. It’s still much easier to skate on the left side for our players.

Linden's comments were a bit scathing.   And tend to agree, until EP puts his big boy pants on and goes to war when it counts, he's a good player to help a "top 9 team" make it to the playoffs.     EP has to figure this out on his own.   Brock figured it out.   He probably will too.   Sure hope so anyways.    Garland is way smaller, and no give up or give in his game.    Tochett has some non-negotiable's.  I've seen many coaches over the years create championship teams and players have to suffer personally to get there.   Scott Steven's - that entire team (his own words), same with Yzerman, Federov and Detroit.   

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Linden's comments were a bit scathing.   And tend to agree, until EP puts his big boy pants on and goes to war when it counts, he's a good player to help a "top 9 team" make it to the playoffs.     EP has to figure this out on his own.   Brock figured it out.   He probably will too.   Sure hope so anyways.    Garland is way smaller, and no give up or give in his game.    Tochett has some non-negotiable's.  I've seen many coaches over the years create championship teams and players have to suffer personally to get there.   Scott Steven's - that entire team (his own words), same with Yzerman, Federov and Detroit.   

Yes, Petey and Tocchets is two different styles and players like Miller Garland thrives while players like Petey has to change how they play almost completely. 

one can say a bottom six mentality in the top six players. 

Edited by LillStrimma

11.6 salary coming, 25 year old hockey player. Expected to carry a line.

At this time and age he has yet to assume he is a target to most opponents. We can see he is nervous when he has the puck , and covered to make quick choices.

Experience and ability to deal with this is what makes elite players.