Theory about Peterson’s struggles (probably not real)

So everyone seems to think something is going on with him whether it be physical or mental, nobody really knows.  The fact that he really hasn’t missed any time though makes people believe it is mental.  I do think this is probably most likely with his contact and everything this year and the idea he might be traded.

My hare brained theory is that it could be a physical problem although not necessarily an injury.  I think Petey has a bit of a chip on his shoulder about being too small and having being asked about it his whole life.  With how competitive he is, it would make sense he wanted to do something about it during last offseason.  Remember all those videos of him doing relatively heavy deadlifts and people were commenting on how he looked stronger.  Now this is all well and good, but one thing that comes with increasing strength and muscle mass is the loss of flexibility and quick reflexes.  Deadlifts in particular are very hard on the entire body including all your core muscles and small muscles in your joints.  I personally know how much less athletic overall I am now compared to

when I was not doing lots of deadlifts.

Everything from running, jumping, reaction time all significantly worse.

I would like to hope pro athletes would know better, but you never know…

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, AmyTheGma said:

So everyone seems to think something is going on with him whether it be physical or mental, nobody really knows.  The fact that he really hasn’t missed any time though makes people believe it is mental.  I do think this is probably most likely with his contact and everything this year and the idea he might be traded.

My hare brained theory is that it could be a physical problem although not necessarily an injury.  I think Petey has a bit of a chip on his shoulder about being too small and having being asked about it his whole life.  With how competitive he is, it would make sense he wanted to do something about it during last offseason.  Remember all those videos of him doing relatively heavy deadlifts and people were commenting on how he looked stronger.  Now this is all well and good, but one thing that comes with increasing strength and muscle mass is the loss of flexibility and quick reflexes.  Deadlifts in particular are very hard on the entire body including all your core muscles and small muscles in your joints.  I personally know how much less athletic overall I am now compared to

lol, running and jumping are significantly worse after deadlifts? Me and many others I know have experienced the opposite.

You realize most sprinters do deadlifts right?

He did say that the atmosphere of the playoff crowd was very different than the experience in the bubble, I think the experience caught him by surprise. I think he may have been a bit of a spectator in a way, taking it all in, I could see that throwing his game off. I expect playing the Oilers will get him right back on track.

• ThereItIs 1

Whatever Petterson is going through, he will be fine.  I am not overly concerned about his play as long as he is learning how to beat them at their own game.  That is all it matters.  Yes, he makes me crazy at time when there was a chance to score and he opt to make a pass type of making fans crazy.  He will eventually figure it out sooner or later.  

• Like 1

Interesting Pettersson stats:

30 GV 50 TK best ratio of his career

First year he was over 50% on the draw

125 hits. His career best was 74

He’s just becoming a more complete player. I think he breaks out this series

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Petey will dominate the Coilers. We win in five games and Petey has 12 points. 
The Empties have spoken. Bow 🙇 

I think I've finally figured out what empties means 🤣

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, NucksNation said:

lol, running and jumping are significantly worse after deadlifts? Me and many others I know have experienced the opposite.

You realize most sprinters do deadlifts right?

It depends how heavy you are going, but I have heard many strongmen/power lifters coming out saying that they don’t recommend people do them unless you are specifically doing them in competition because they cause a general decrease in general athleticism.  If you start lifting into the 1-5 rep range for a few months you will notice it.

Wonder if he's playing?

To know that he and (likely) the team's been sick and then some Preds were....I'd send him out there just to breathe all over the dairy farming Oilers. I'm a little ruthless that way.

It's on.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, AmyTheGma said:

It depends how heavy you are going, but I have heard many strongmen/power lifters coming out saying that they don’t recommend people do them unless you are specifically doing them in competition because they cause a general decrease in general athleticism.  If you start lifting into the 1-5 rep range for a few months you will notice it.

I am definitely not a pro and do what my coach tells me to do however I am a competitive Strongman athlete that does a lot of deadlifts. There is absolutely a risk to them due to the nature of heavy weights. In the three years I have been training heavy my athleticism has increased. I can jump higher, run faster and do these things while heavily weighed down. The risk is in the fact that any breakdown of form can cause many injuries. You won’t find many bodybuilders doing them as the risk/reward profile isn’t there. If you want to build overall strength there isn’t much better for you than heavy deadlifts. It taxes you posterior chain and central nervous system. It will either break you or make you stronger.  

47 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

I am definitely not a pro and do what my coach tells me to do however I am a competitive Strongman athlete that does a lot of deadlifts. There is absolutely a risk to them due to the nature of heavy weights. In the three years I have been training heavy my athleticism has increased. I can jump higher, run faster and do these things while heavily weighed down. The risk is in the fact that any breakdown of form can cause many injuries. You won’t find many bodybuilders doing them as the risk/reward profile isn’t there. If you want to build overall strength there isn’t much better for you than heavy deadlifts. It taxes you posterior chain and central nervous system. It will either break you or make you stronger.  

You don’t find a decrease in flexibility fast twitch movement?  I find even jogging very difficult now, my hips and joints feel stiff, but maybe it’s just me getting old 😆 

It is kind of annoying that all we have to go on is baseless speculation. But the reality is he had a rough start to the season, followed by a 6 weeks stretch where he was lighting it up, following by 3 months of mediocrity at best. None of this suggests its solely one thing that started pre season.

All we can hope for is its been a couple of different issues (injury, mental, confidence etc) that have shown up at different times and he has overcome them, save for whatever the most recent issue is.

Fact of the matter is Petey is not playing with confidence and regardless of why that is, it needs to change asap or we wont get through this series. When a 100pt player is playing at a 20pt pace in the playoffs thats a major problem you can cover up.

1 hour ago, AmyTheGma said:

You don’t find a decrease in flexibility fast twitch movement?  I find even jogging very difficult now, my hips and joints feel stiff, but maybe it’s just me getting old 😆 

I don’t, but in all fairness I was never very flexible or good at jogging before training 😂 

22 hours ago, AmyTheGma said:

Professional athletes aren’t like regular human beings. That is very important to remember. 
The genetics, the life long training and exercise, the constant physical therapy and professional specific training. 
you can’t compare a regular human doing deadlifts and the effects they have on you to someone who has it as part of a very specific training regimen designed by a professional trainer that likely also includes a lot of flexibility work and physical trainers. 

• Like 1

i personally think it's just lack of experience.

Petey's young. this is the first year he's been on a contending team... with expectations.

Look at JT Miller's track record when he was in his early-mid 20's and how he performed in the playoffs, and now look at him now. JT Miller actually had some good commentary on why he thinks Petey's struggling and he reflected on how he struggled and his mindset early in his career.

Maybe Petey was right all along in not worrying about a contract extension until after the season. maybe the pressure of being highly paid now is making him squeeze the stick and overthink it too much.

Posted (edited)

I doubt Pettersson's problems are physical.

The reasons for the drop off in his production are very simple...  he didn't have a winger to play with.

The facts are there.

- 30 points in his first 20 games when he played with Kuzmenko.

- Production drops off for both players when Kuzmenko is yanked from the line.

- Pettersson is re-united with the Lotto line and wins Player of the week... huge point totals in just a few games.

- He's put back with 3rd and 4th liners for the rest of the season... production goes into a tailspin.

Tocchet refuses to match Lindholm with him...  he was on Petey's line only two-three games... production continues to fall.

Gradually he loses all his confidence.... no one to pass with, no one on his line is setting him up to shoot,  no one on his line has the creativity to see open ice.

Point production between when he had Kuzmenko on his line + when he was on Lotto Line.... compared to when he was playing with 3rd/4th liners...  difference is huge.

Tocchet needs to stop thinking exclusively defensively and put someone creative with Pettersson.  Either Lindholm or Garland... or re-unite the Lotto line. 

Edited by -Buzzsaw-

15 minutes ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

The reasons for the drop off in his production are very simple...  he didn't have a winger to play with.

The facts are there.

- Pettersson is re-united with the Lotto line and wins Player of the week... huge point totals in just a few games.

- He's put back with 3rd and 4th liners for the rest of the season... production goes into a tailspin.

Tocchet refuses to match Lindholm with him...  he was on Petey's line only two-three games... production continues to fall.

Gradually he loses all his confidence.... no one to pass with, no one on his line is setting him up to shoot,  no one on his line has the creativity to see open ice.

Point production between when he had Kuzmenko on his line + when he was on Lotto Line.... compared to when he was playing with 3rd/4th liners...  difference is huge.

Tocchet needs to stop thinking exclusively defensively and put someone creative with Pettersson.  Either Lindholm or Garland... or re-unite the Lotto line. 

I agree with you that Petey do need the winger to play with and we'll find someone for Petey to play with in the summer.  Right now, Petey will play with Lotto Line at times more likley after any icing call.  Maybe there might be a surprise from the farm system to play with finally with Lekk or whoever makes the team or find someone with winger experience that match Tocchet's vision of what a winger should be like but with offensive ability to mesh with Petey's skill set.  But for now, we go with what we have and hope that one of his current wingers catch some fire with more open space in the series.  

25 minutes ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

The facts are there.

That is a very convincing statement.  Still think him with Garland and Joshua has potential, and we have never seen that