[Specualtion] Five NHL Teams Toronto's Mitch Marner Should Consider Joining If He Waives No-Move Clause

Five NHL Teams Toronto's Mitch Marner Should Consider Joining If He Waives No-Move Clause

Adam Proteau

The Hockey News

It's Mitch Marner's choice whether or not to stay with the Toronto Maple Leafs for the rest of his contract. If he's not opposed to a move, here are five NHL teams he should consider.

After another disappointing post-season, the Toronto Maple Leafs now face a summer filled with trade rumors, particularly about star right winger Mitch Marner. 

It's unfair to pin the consequences for another playoff letdown solely on Marner. But in the grand scheme of things, Marner having one year left on his contract during his prime makes him the most expendable of Toronto’s “Core Four” of forward talent. 

He has a no-move clause in his current contract, which means he can choose to stay in Toronto for the final year of his deal or have a say in where he’s dealt to. Marner can say all the right things about staying in Toronto, but it could be best for him and the Leafs to part ways and start new eras for themselves. 

Here are the five teams Marner could and should welcome a trade to: 

Pittsburgh Penguins

Hockey players are creatures of habit, and for Marner, the chance to work once again for Kyle Dubas might be a very attractive proposition. 

That goes double for the opportunity to play alongside Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Erik Karlsson and Kris Letang. 

Marner would be joining a Penguins team desperate to bounce back and make the playoffs next season, and Marner’s impact (on the regular season, at least) on the Pens would be immediate and notable. 

Marner’s $10.9-million salary won’t be easy to find a fit for, but given that Marner holds the hammer with his no-movement clause, he could easily specify Pittsburgh as his desired destination and find himself playing important hockey all season long. The Penguins have a projected $12.93 million in cap space next season, but they only have 17 of 23 roster spots filled, per PuckPedia.

Chicago Blackhawks

Everyone and their uncle knows the Blackhawks are looking for veteran help to surround dynamic rookie Connor Bedard with. Marner definitely would improve Chicago’s offense and defense with his all-around above-average play. 

In accepting a deal to the Hawks, Marner gets a shot at playing alongside a truly incredible play-finishing talent like Bedard, and the Leafs get to spend that cap space on defensemen via trades or free agency. The X-factor is Seth Jones – a defenseman who is not a favorite of the fancy stats crowd but a minute-muncher who’d make Toronto’s defense corps better. 

But the chance to play on an Original Six team with an incredible talent like Bedard is the big sell here. Marner would be a huge hit in Chicago, and the Hawks would take a competitive step forward and push for a playoff spot next season.

New York Islanders

The Islanders should be looking for a new direction following their first-round playoff exit for the second straight year. Marner would help establish a new era on Long Island, and he and his new team would want to win immediately. 

Any Marner trade has to benefit both sides, and the Isles would have to hand over a significant talent to get this deal across the finish line. But Marner wouldn’t be the first Leafs star to be traded to the Islanders, and playing with star Mathew Barzal under coach Patrick Roy has to be seen as a positive for Marner. He can come into a new organization, still battle for the playoffs and raise his profile in the greater New York area.

Anaheim Ducks

All those in-season trade rumors surrounding Ducks star Trevor Zegrascould turn into a reality in a Marner trade to Anaheim. The Ducks have been seeking veteran help to push their young core to the next level, and Marner definitely would do so. 

He’d also likely welcome the quietness of the Anaheim area and the relative lack of pesky media that cover the Ducks. 

Moving Marner for Zegras as part of a deal makes a lot of sense for both sides. Marner gets to jump aboard the Ducks’ rocket ship before it blasts into space with a slew of youngsters leading the way, and Zegras gets a fresh start on a proven playoff-worthy Leafs team.

Ducks GM Pat Verbeek has plenty of cap space to work with, and the Ducks could easily add Marner and a few other veterans to ensure a post-season appearance next year.

Utah

Utah co-owner Ryan Smith wants to make a big splash in the team’s first season, and splashes wouldn’t get much bigger than a Marner trade this summer. 

The excitement over this fresh slate would be especially noteworthy for Marner, who also would be joining a team on the precipice of being a regular playoff contender. 

The former Arizona Coyotes hockey operations staff would have to send at least one prominent player back to Toronto, but it could be small potatoes compared to the boost Marner would give to Utah. 

Marner would instantly be beloved in Salt Lake City, and at the same time, he could live in relative anonymity. Hard to see a downside for Marner in this deal. He’d be going to a place that wants him far more than Toronto does at present, and that means the world to any player on the trade block.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/five-nhl-teams-torontos-mitch-marner-should-consider-joining-if-he-waives-no-move-clause

13 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If Toronto retains 50% on Tavares, I can see Chicago going for him. And it would be like a one year tryout and see if he can help Bedard out.

Why would Tavares want to go there? Doesn’t he want to win the Stanley Cup?

Ooh Islanders seems like an interesting fit, could definitely be a boost of speed needed by the veteran-laden team.
Question is, what pieces would the Leafs want back?  The Islanders have so much depth in terms of heavier/ defensive guys (Nelson, Lee, Romanov) but I'm not sure if they have the pieces that would push them over the top when they've already been adding skilled toughness e.g. in Bertuzzi/ Domi.

Honestly I’d love to take a run at GM of Toronto. I’d rip it apart, Marner, Tavares, Reilly. All gonzo. I’d build around Nylander and Matthews. Could probably make a pretty good team out of it,

They’ll fuck it up though 🤣

Not sure how the Isles fit him. But it's no secret they've got way too defensive minded players and are left with just BoHo and Barzal to produce. Can say the same thing about Nashville. 2/3rds of their top line they signed in free agency as cast offs from other teams. They need top end scoring talent. Marner should fit in perfectly with Lou Lam. I mean, the kid can't grow a beard anyway.

Nashville would be interesting, possibly Utah too if they want to make a splash to try and be more competitive off the hop.

Anaheim would surprise me, Marner will be 28 going on 29 by the time his extension kicks in and that doesn't really line up with Anaheim's timeline. Anaheim appears pretty committed to their rebuild and I wouldn't say they've tried to take shortcuts. 

I'd be a bit surprised if Marner wanted to go to a bottom feeder in Chicago, at least Anaheim has California living to offer. 

Isles could use his offense but I question how they'd fit him capwise. 

Hard to see Pittsburgh fitting him in, even with Dubas at the helm. 

The big rumour i heard was Marner to Calgary for Markstrom+. 

It’s in Calgary’s best interest to try to compete this year and finish outside of drafting in the top 10….  Because that pick is going to Montréal. 

41 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Not sure how the Isles fit him. But it's no secret they've got way too defensive minded players and are left with just BoHo and Barzal to produce. Can say the same thing about Nashville. 2/3rds of their top line they signed in free agency as cast offs from other teams. They need top end scoring talent. Marner should fit in perfectly with Lou Lam. I mean, the kid can't grow a beard anyway.

Brock Nelson is also a good producer and has somehow managed to get better in his 30s, but there is a legitimate question about how long he can sustain it. Marner would certainly be a fantastic addition to the Isles, but the Isles also have no assets. Toronto likely asks for Dobson or Sorokin which would both be non-starters. 

The Islanders have one of the weakest prospect pools in the NHL so the best offer they could probably make would be something like Romanov, Holmström, and a 1st which I don't think gets it done.

Marner’s next contract ask is going to be huge. How many teams can fit him in, not to mention sacrifice the cost to acquire what TO might ask? Not an easy deal to make. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Diamonds said:

Brock Nelson is also a good producer and has somehow managed to get better in his 30s, but there is a legitimate question about how long he can sustain it. Marner would certainly be a fantastic addition to the Isles, but the Isles also have no assets. Toronto likely asks for Dobson or Sorokin which would both be non-starters. 

The Islanders have one of the weakest prospect pools in the NHL so the best offer they could probably make would be something like Romanov, Holmström, and a 1st which I don't think gets it done.

Yeah, they probably just prefer to wait and see if they can pull a reverse Tavares and get Marner in Free Agency. But that'll be costly.

Zegras, Gibson, Vatrano and EDM 1st 2024 for Marner, Petruzzelli and Benoit 

VATRANO - MATTHEWS - NYLANDER 

ZEGRAS - TAVARES - TBD 

Not only does this trade alleviate Marner's cap hit, it also helps the Maple Leafs acquire a bonafide replacement (Zegras) for John Tavares, who will enter free agency next season and may take a smaller role in terms of ice time and cap hit. 

Re-signing Domi and Bertuzzi, vastly improving defensive depth via trade and bringing in an elite starter to mentor Joseph Woll. For Anaheim, Marner brings veteran presence, offensive depth and elite talent that Anaheim sorely lacks. Further, Gibson needs a change of scenery which is something Toronto can definitely provide. 

Frank Vatarno is a solid top 9 forward, to add to the depth attained by re-signing Bertuzzi and Max Domi. They've got Bertuzzi, Domi, Matthews, Nylander, Vatrano, Zegras and Tavares in that top nine with Knies and Robertson knocking on the door. It's safe to say that after using the cap savings to re-sign Bertuzzi and Domi, the Maple Leafs should look to free agency to fill some more holes on their roster. I'm thinking Sean Monahan, Elias Lindholm, Matt Duchene, etc. 

On defense, there's clearly a ton of work to be done. A partner for Rielly, a partner for McCabe (who is a solid #4 at $2M which is a huge bargain) and a replacement for TJ Brodie. 

On 5/7/2024 at 10:28 PM, Devron said:

Honestly I’d love to take a run at GM of Toronto. I’d rip it apart, Marner, Tavares, Reilly. All gonzo. I’d build around Nylander and Matthews. Could probably make a pretty good team out of it,

They’ll fuck it up though 🤣

I really don't think it would be hard to rebuild Toronto.

Unload Marner and JT. Say what you will about Matthews and Willy but they are decent.

Draft goalies and Dman like they are going out of style.

Sign a few players to fill holes once the Marner trade is done.

• Vintage 1

Utah has cap space for days and needs to make a splash. 
‘He can be the face of a new franchise that could get good fairly quickly with some good management. 
‘They have the picks to go after any young talent that shakes free for cap reasons and tonnes of prospects. 
‘That and a tonne of cap space when nobody has any. 

Now that BOS has effectively decided on Swayman going forward as their de facto starter, I wonder if TOR would dangle Marner to them for Ullmark++? 
 Irealize there is a major rivalry between the two but stranger things have happened in the hockey world.

Lot of flaws in this article, IMO.

Pittsburgh, while it might be fun for Marner to get overpaid when they re-sign him, I doubt that being a good landing spot for him.

Hawks, not bad.

Isles? Why would he (or anyone, for that matter) want to play for Roy?

Are the Leafs stupid enough to trade Marner for Zegras? Oh, ok, my bad. What was I thinking.