[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | May 8th, 7:00PM PT | Round 2, Game 1 (Series tied 0-0)

LFG! I'm pumped for this. Can't wait for the oilers to face an actual defence and solid goaltending. Hoping Zadorov lays down some nice clean hits. My list would be McD, Kane, Hyman, Bouchard, Draisatl.

Also, shout out to @Rocket-68 for the lotto ticket. The disclaimer always makes me laugh.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • chaos 1

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Big game, there was some crazy 2nd round stat showing a big majority of teams who win the first game win the round so really have to come out strong despite losing our last 2 home games.

McDavid is surely going to be fired up, I'll be interesting to see how open this game is or whether we can lock it down Nashville-style.

We've seen lots of 3-5 goals per game scored around the league compared to our 1-2 goals so here's hoping for some 2-1 and 3-2 games because we can easily win those.

3-2 Canucks in OT to kick things off.

68% I believe.

With no real defensive stalwart on the Oilers, I could see the lotto line having some success this series when we get a preferable matchup (eg. after icing, or tired Ekholm). I can also see the Joshua - Lindholm - Garland line playing well. Hopefully Hoglander can contribute as well. Theoretically, there should be more open ice for these guys to work.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Hope Petey's feeling a lot better today, the team need him. Going to the game tonight, excited and nervous. Game 1 sets the tone, need to put the pressure on the Oilers, get them floundering and frustrated.  Go Canucks Go!  

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Big game, there was some crazy 2nd round stat showing a big majority of teams who win the first game win the round so really have to come out strong despite losing our last 2 home games.

McDavid is surely going to be fired up, I'll be interesting to see how open this game is or whether we can lock it down Nashville-style.

We've seen lots of 3-5 goals per game scored around the league compared to our 1-2 goals so here's hoping for some 2-1 and 3-2 games because we can easily win those.

3-2 Canucks in OT to kick things off.

I hope they win 2-1 and completely shut down McD and Drai.......show everyone, including the Oilers, that they can lock anyone down 

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Nashvilles commitment to their system was admirable, and the Oilies can't actually play the same way. We can, however.

The first round was a gift by Trotz to our guys on how to play a tight defensive game in the playoffs. 

EDM otoh, didn't learn a thing. I think we have a chance to shock them tonight. 

I definitely think there's a lot of truth to that and if thet can reasonably contain McD and Drai,  they can can beat the Oilers everywhere else, imo.

Obviously, discipline is the key

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

Petey shows up huge with two goals and an apple.  Canucks win 4-2 and Mcwhiny goes on a very emotional rant about  how Big Z is mean

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I definitely think there's a lot of truth to that and if thet can reasonably contain McD and Drai,  they can can beat the Oilers everywhere else, imo.

Obviously, discipline is the key

Vegas showed us the way last year, better 5 on 5 play which I think we can do, and keeping those two contained as much as possible.

Of course we're the underdogs, but if we can shock them tonight and pull off a win anything's possible at that point.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Hope Petey's feeling a lot better today, the team need him. Going to the game tonight, excited and nervous. Game 1 sets the tone, need to put the pressure on the Oilers, get them floundering and frustrated.  Go Canucks Go!  

One of Micheal Jordan's most famous games has been coined "the flu game". He went off for like 63 points or something with the flu during the playoffs.

• ThereItIs 1

On the pk, they need to almost play it like a 4-3 and take Drai right out of it.  Teams do that with Petey, loading up two guys on his side who pop right out everything the puck comes to his side.

• Like 1

The Oilers need to know they are in a battle for every inch of ice. This is our home and the visitors need to feel the pain.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1