[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | May 8th, 7:00PM PT | Round 2, Game 1 (Series tied 0-0)

1 minute ago, stawns said:

On the pk, they need to almost play it like a 4-3 and take Drai right out of it.  Teams do that with Petey, loading up two guys on his side who pop right out everything the puck comes to his side.

would have been interesting to be able to watch the last practice and see if they were working on this kind of thing. 

I wonder tho, do you stick with what worked in Nashville, or get guys to adjust like this.... maybe stick with whats worked so far? dunno. Its a tough one, but we have some really smart PK guys in Bluegar and Lindholm, so maybe we see this. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

would have been interesting to be able to watch the last practice and see if they were working on this kind of thing. 

I wonder tho, do you stick with what worked in Nashville, or get guys to adjust like this.... maybe stick with whats worked so far? dunno. Its a tough one, but we have some really smart PK guys in Bluegar and Lindholm, so maybe we see this. 

I loved how they stood up at the line against Nashville on the pk and they did a great job overall, but Nashville was a team effort on the pp, the oilers, liked the Canucks are a one or two trick pony.

• ThereItIs 1

I said it before in another thread, and I hate to admit it, but this series feels like 2011 against Boston.  Only this time the Oilers are like the 2011 Canucks and we are like the Bruins 🤢 On paper, it looks like the Oilers talent will simply be too much for the Canucks, but when the game is played, the size and strength of our Canucks this year will likely suffocate them.  Oddly enough, Silovs gives off Tim Thomas vibes too.

• Like 3

I actually don't know why we are the underdogs but I'll take it.

Less pressure and more motivation for us to win

We have better goaltending, better defense, deeper forward group, home ice advantage. Their future basically rests on 2 players. We have good enough talent to at least slow him down or rough him up. 

RT also had a great chat with Colin Campbell and we won't see them getting rewarded for their embellishment. 

All these things favor the Canucks. 

Let's let the world continue to think of us as underdogs and stun them starting tonight

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

If the Canucks are to have a shot we absolutely need to be hard to play against. Joshua, Myers, Zadorov, Cole and Soucy need to lay the body RESPONSIBLY. If we can do that cleanly I think we can do it.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I said it before in another thread, and I hate to admit it, but this series feels like 2011 against Boston.  Only this time the Oilers are like the 2011 Canucks and we are like the Bruins 🤢 On paper, it looks like the Oilers talent will simply be too much for the Canucks, but when the game is played, the size and strength of our Canucks this year will likely suffocate them.  Oddly enough, Silovs gives off Tim Thomas vibes too.

So Connor Garland is going to repeatedly punch McDavid in the face!? 🥳

• Haha 3
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, CaribouCanuck said:

So Connor Garland is going to repeatedly punch McDavid in the face!? 🥳

That's a sure way to lose the series 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's a sure way to lose the series 

Yup our potent powerplay in 2011 totally took over the Bruins nastiness and physicality.  Glad we won back then while taking all the abuse.

13 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I actually don't know why we are the underdogs but I'll take it.

Less pressure and more motivation for us to win

We have better goaltending, better defense, deeper forward group, home ice advantage. Their future basically rests on 2 players. We have good enough talent to at least slow him down or rough him up. 

RT also had a great chat with Colin Campbell and we won't see them getting rewarded for their embellishment. 

All these things favor the Canucks. 

Let's let the world continue to think of us as underdogs and stun them starting tonight

Defence wins championships! Toc is playing them the right way. Scoring will come. EDM can only rely on offense. Their defense is trash

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mmkk said:

Defence wins championships! Toc is playing them the right way. Scoring will come. EDM can only rely on offense. Their defense is trash

It'll come down to Silovs.  If he plays close to what Demko could do, we can take this series.  

2 minutes ago, mmkk said:

thats pretty insulting to trash, do you have something personal against trash?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

The oilers pp completely dismantled the leagues second best pk in the league to the tune of 45%.  Let's not pretend the Oilers pp is something normal.  To have any success, the Canucks have to keep it off the ice.........full stop

I don't disagree with you, but I don't want to see our boys back down from anything.  Getting punched in the face?  Don't sit there and take it.  Team toughness is needed to win just as much as discipline on the ice.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

It'll come down to Silovs.  If he plays close to what Demko could do, we can take this series.  

Silovs has ice in his veins. The boys love him. We will have no problem scoring vs Edmonton's porous defence.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I don't disagree with you, but I don't want to see our boys back down from anything.  Getting punched in the face?  Don't sit there and take it.  Team toughness is needed to win just as much as discipline on the ice.

That's the kind of mindset that's going to lead to retaliation penalties.  They absolutely cannot do anything undisciplined to give them more PP time than they're already going to get.

You're equating being disciplined to being intimidate.  It's not the same thing

• Wiener 1

20 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yup our potent powerplay in 2011 totally took over the Bruins nastiness and physicality.  Glad we won back then while taking all the abuse.

Are you saying the Oilers are nasty like the Bruins?  I don't see thst