US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

May I interest you in a post I made in the World Politics Thread about an article in The Conversation?  :classic_biggrin:

Thanks so much for the recommendation.  I read every word and I even bookmarked the article and a couple of the included links as well.

I've been warning people that I know that society as a whole is at a crossroads and we're going to see soon enough which fork in the road we will take.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Wiggums said:

Must be nice being able to post left wing articles from any site you want without backlash or questioning

Quoting tiktok accounts.  Groundbreaking journalism 

Here's the deal.

Provide us a list of Wiggums approved sites that we can use that will avoid your criticism.   Hack sites like Infowars, Breitbart, Daily Wire, and even to some extent Fox News are a no go.

If you want to quote some Twit account like Clownworld, then the information in said twit should be easily found on a reputable site.  

Until you do, your bitching will fall on deaf ears. 

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Here's the deal.

Provide us a list of Wiggums approved sites that we can use that will avoid your criticism.   Hack sites like Infowars, Breitbart, Daily Wire, and even to some extent Fox News are a no go.

If you want to quote some Twit account like Clownworld, then the information in said twit should be easily found on a reputable site.  

Until you do, your bitching will fall on deaf ears. 

I actually think that would make a reasonable interesting thread by itself.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Ex-FBI Informant Says His Biden Bribery Claims Were Passed on By ‘Officials Associated with Russian Intelligence’

https://www.mediaite.com/biden/ex-fbi-informant-says-his-biden-bribery-claims-were-passed-on-by-officials-associated-with-russian-intelligence/

The amount of connections between the Russians and the QOP, the NRA, and Team TRUMP is far too large for groups who claim to be patriotic Americans.   

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Thanks so much for the recommendation.  I read every word and I even bookmarked the article and a couple of the included links as well.

I've been warning people that I know that society as a whole is at a crossroads and we're going to see soon enough which fork in the road we will take.

For a little levity, when I read this, I'm reminded (well in a way heh) of this old film:

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I did a bit of reading on the Trump media potential merger and although it looks like once again, Trump has slipped the noose, there are a couple of mitigating factors:

Jay Ritter, a finance professor at the University of Florida, said the windfall is “paper wealth … with the emphasis on ‘paper,’ since his [Trump Media] shares cannot currently be sold.”

Trump Media’s key stockholders, including Trump and its management team, agreed to a common financial provision, known as a “lockup” period, that prevents them from selling shares for six months after the merger unless Digital World waives the agreement, according to a Digital World filing. If the merger occurs in April, for instance, Trump would not be able to sell his shares until October, at which point their value may have changed considerably.

Although the merger appears to earn him $4 billion, it's a paper evaluation, meaning he can't use it for things like say, legal expenses....at least not yet.

Ritter said that in his opinion the merged company’s valuation — roughly $9 billion, based on Digital World’s current price — is out of sync with the Trump company’s financial performance. Trump Media generated $3.4 million in revenue and lost $49 million during the first nine months of 2023, Digital World said in a recent SEC filing.

Trump Media is “a money-losing company that generates less than $5 million per year,” Ritter said. Digital World, he said, is in his view “a classic meme stock, whose price is totally unrelated to the underlying fundamentals.”

I think this is important, because it shows that Trump's media company, like a lot of his assets, is based on nothing, other than I suppose his name. One has to wonder if the stock will retain it's current value 6 months down the road, when investors start crunching actual numbers....

Now, I fully admit that I know little about stock trading and finance and I'm sure people with more experience like @Sabrefan1 @Elias Pettersson and @nuckin_futz will weigh in and tell me what I'm missing, but from my (albeit cursory) digging, it might not be the huge windfall that it seems.....

If there's any justice in this world, the stock price will plummet before Agent Orange can sell his shares....

EDIT: https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2024/02/15/truth-social-trump-merger-sec/

(forgot to post the link)

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I did a bit of reading on the Trump media potential merger and although it looks like once again, Trump has slipped the noose, there are a couple of mitigating factors:

Although the merger appears to earn him $4 billion, it's a paper evaluation, meaning he can't use it for things like say, legal expenses....at least not yet.

Trump can borrow against the value of his stock if he needs to.  He won't be able to borrow full value though because he burned his reputation with banks long ago and nobody will loan him anything unsecured.  The bank(s) will also put in clauses that will protect them against share price collapse.  That could include Trump's personal property, including things like his plane.  It depends on how leveraged his businesses and properties already are.

............  The rest of the original post... 😂

That said, since all of this is built on his reputation and tens of millions of followers, he needs to win this election if he's going to continue to hold that stock.  Revenue in the single digit of millions is not going to sustain a stock value in the billions.  It sounds weird saying it in my head even. 

One of the tools I use is the "times revenue" method when I value a company I'm considering buying moderate to long term shares in.  I choose times 12 as my multiple.  So Trump's media company will have pulled in roughly 5 million in revenue in 2023.  Multiply that by 12 and you get a $60 million valuation.  The losses will be about $65 million.  So now, I see that company is slightly under water.  You then move on to potential growth rate.  What are the chances that company will grow over the years and by how much?  If Trump becomes president again, the company will likely grow and revenues will increase, but will it grow into a healthy multi-billion dollar company?  Extremely doubtful.  Twitter, the 600 lb. gorilla in Truth Social's world, is an unhealthy multi-billion dollar company that seems to be teetering on bankruptcy reorganization.  Why?  Because the guy who is the primary owner is not liked by potential revenue drivers (ad spenders).  Truth Social has that exact same issue in spades.

I think Jay Ritter said it best when he called it a "meme stock".  It's crazy that we're talking about billions for a company with so little revenue.

If MAGA is willing to buy into the Trump meme the same way people once bought into Gamestop, Trump's shares can end up making him billions.  If he's still holding that stock come election day, and loses the election, that stock price will drop like a rock since the meme/reputation of the primary holder will be one of a 2 time loser.

The merger vote is on March 22.  So if the merger completes in April, he has to hold onto the stock for at least 6 months.  That would bring decision time to October.  Couple that with Trump by law having to file with the SEC that he intends to dump stock as a majority holder and he'll have to stagger his stock sales past election day. 

In a nutshell you have a company (Truth Social) that's only worth roughly $60 million and is very much in the red.  It's combining with another currently over-valued company that seems to only exist for this merger.  (I could be wrong though since I haven't even so much as read Digital World's prospectus filing) 

Hardly a recipe for success.  It would be generous to say this is a house of cards.  In "truth" it's Trump's biggest grift so far.  This is why I say if Trump is smart, he pumps and dumps his stock as quickly and as quietly as the SEC will allow him to.

I just pounded this out fairly quickly.  If I forgot something, let me know.  If my spelling, grammar and sentence structure is off, don't tell me.  😂🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Trump + Tulsi Gabbard would be the best case scenario for 2024. 

It will be very tough to counter Biden, Nikki Haley, Mitch McConnell, Chuck Shumer, Hillary Clinton, Victoria Nuland, Lindsay Graham, and other Neocons who want to see the world burn and profit from it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

It will be very tough to counter Biden, Nikki Haley, Mitch McConnell, Chuck Shumer, Hillary Clinton, Victoria Nuland, Lindsay Graham, and other Neocons who want to see the world burn and profit from it. 

So you propose Nazification of the USA is a better alternative?  Trump getting a heart attack and his tombstone becoming a urinal is the best case scenario.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

Mar-A -Lago is worth 19 Hunter Biden paintings.

Tweet doesn't bother to mention the restrictions on what Lardo Margo can be used for- which is why the property is valued as it is.

But -do carry on.

• Like 1

It wasn't a picture taken by Hunter.  It was sent to him. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/hunter-bidens-lawyers-say-prosecutors-confused-picture-sawdust-cocaine-rcna139656

Hunter Biden's lawyers say prosecutors confused a picture of sawdust with cocaine

The mix-up "sounds more like a storyline from one of the 1980’s Police Academy comedies than what should be expected in a high-profile prosecution,” Biden's attorney wrote.
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Gurn said:

Tweet doesn't bother to mention the restrictions on what Lardo Margo can be used for- which is why the property is valued as it is.

But -do carry on.

Any mansion with 53 bathrooms is probably worth a little more than 18 million but do carry on.

41 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Trump + Tulsi Gabbard would not care if the world burns as long as they could profit from it.

• Cheers 2

45 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Dems can do no wrong with this bunch. If Hitler ran for the dems, they would support him.

• Confused 2
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Warhippy said:

What are agents of the state exactly?

Florida?

So republican florida's agents are wrong or?

Explain

Was the trial in Florida? No it was in NY, that's where the whacko democrat judge is from.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

Was the trial in Florida? No it was in NY, that's where the whacko democrat judge is from.

Whacko democratic judge?

You mean the impartial and neutral arbiter of the law that a judge is supposed to be?  Like...those on the SCOTUS right?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2