US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

51 minutes ago, Gurn said:

"Do you know who I am?"

Terminal attendant in Departure Bay was asked this question, quite some years ago.

Seems the ship was just full up as this dude gets to the 'next on' spot.

Some mid level ferry manager pulls out the question.

Terminal att. looks at him, grabs his microphone and says " Tower, this is Joe at the end of lane 3, and I'm dealing with an elderly, confused gentleman, who can't remember who he is. Can you send a supervisor to assist?"

Hahahahaha that is LEGENDARY 😂 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/trump-says-it-was-my-decision-to-try-to-overturn-2020-election-results/ar-AA1gR2hB?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=3d43dacff45e405495ff3cb9aa7d96c4&ei=6

"

Former President Donald Trump said that he received counsel from numerous people shortly after the 2020 election but that it was his decision to push the false claim he won the presidency and try to overturn the results.

“It was my decision, but I listened to some people,” Trump told NBC’s “Meet the Press” in an interview that aired Sunday.

Trump has been indicted over his efforts to subvert the 2020 election results. A central premise of special counsel Jack Smith’s case, according to his indictment of the former president, is that Trump knew the election claims he was making were false after being told by close aides that he had lost but disseminated them anyway to make them appear legitimate – all in service of an alleged criminal conspiracy.

“I was listening to different people, and when I added it all up, the election was rigged,” Trump told Kristen Welker in the interview, again pushing the false claim as he seeks the 2024 Republican nomination for president.

“You know who I listen to? Myself. I saw what happened,” Trump said.

The former president said he didn’t listen to his attorneys who told him he lost the election because he didn’t respect them.

“You hire them, you’ve never met these people, you get a recommendation, they turn out to be RINOs (Republicans in name only), or they turn out to be not so good. In many cases, I didn’t respect them,” Trump said. “But I did respect others. I respected many others that said the election was rigged.”

Smith’s federal election interference investigation is one of four criminal cases against the former president. Trump is facing four charges in Smith’s case, including obstruction of an official proceeding and conspiracy to defraud the United States.

Trump was also charged in a sweeping Georgia indictment accusing him of being the head of a “criminal enterprise” to overturn the 2020 election. He has pleaded not guilty in all cases.

17 hours ago, Cerridwen said:

In my zeal to post at least once last night after moving in, it seems that apparently I should have gotten those damned bifocals from the eye doc 'cause I coulda sworn Sharp's post said 'May Trump be INCINERATED  quickly.

At least THEN it would have meant that my response would have made A WHOLE LOT MORE FRICKIN' SENSE....duuuuuh.

We missed you!! Lol

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/cbs-poll-about-joe-bidens-age-shows-young-voters-overwhelmingly-support-him/ar-AA1gRuq6

"

Anew CBS News poll is another to contribute to the narrative that there is something wrong with President Joe Biden's age while Donald Trump's age and mental fitness are going unquestioned.

But as a young voter and host of "iGen Politics," Victor Shi observed, the same poll shows a record 65 percent support for Biden among voters under 30. For voters between 30 and 44, Biden enjoys 56 percent support. The lowest amount of support for Biden comes from those over 65.

The official question read: "If next year's 2024 presidential election is between Joe Biden, the Democrat, and Donald Trump, the Republican, who would you vote for?"

Comparing it to Donald Trump, who had 35 percent for those under 30, 44 percent for those ages 30 to 44.

The poll also shows just how important abortion is to young voters. Nearly half of voters under 30 (47 percent) said that the issue of abortion makes them more likely to vote for Democrats. That compares to 27 percent who said the GOP stance makes them more likely, and 25 percent said it didn't matter.

When asked what qualities Americans want in a leader, they said tough (67 percent), caring (66 percent), no-nonsense (62 percent), calm (61 percent) and energetic (58 percent). When voters talk about Biden's qualities they see him as calm (63 percent), predictable (61 percent), caring (50 percent) and has him at "no-nonsense" just at 35 percent. By contrast Trump is viewed at 55 percent on "no-nonsense." That said, he didn't even register on "calm" or "caring."

As Shi assessed, "the media constantly talks about age but they fail to mention other positive things that polling shows — like that the Republican Party is weakening fast or more young voters say they will vote for Biden in 2024. These things also matter…just not to [the mainstream media].

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

The dem's need to bring in a new person for VP, someone voters can support. I don't know why Harris is so unpopular, but it is what it is. I think if they brought in an older millennial the dem's would crush the GOP next election. 

Honestly, I wish Joe would step aside and Gavin Newsome lead the ticket along with a VP candidate of his choosing. (Gretchen Witmer, maybe)

I think that ticket destroys any ticket the Repugs nominate.

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

The dem's need to bring in a new person for VP, someone voters can support. I don't know why Harris is so unpopular, but it is what it is. I think if they brought in an older millennial the dem's would crush the GOP next election. 

I want to think the Dems would crush the Republicans no matter what given how chaotic the Republicans have been, but the last senator elections made me lose a bit of hope when a Republican won in Virginia based solely on a campaign of fear... and this is Virginia we're talking about, not even a deep red state.

Edited by The Lock

3 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Honestly, I wish Joe would step aside and Gavin Newsome lead the ticket along with a VP candidate of his choosing. (Gretchen Witmer, maybe)

I think that ticket destroys any ticket the Repugs nominate.

he really should. I don't like to be "ageist" but its a real concern for many.

I wish I understood why Harris is so disliked, I don't mind listening to her and don't get it. 

If they went with Biden-Newsome that could work well too, imo. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

I want to think the Dems would crush the Republicans no matter what given how chaotic the Republicans have been, but the last senator elections made me lose a bit of hope when a Republican won in Virginia based solely on a campaign of fear... and this is Virginia we're talking about, not even a deep red state.

people are going to vote GOP to try to keep Trump out of jail. Thats going to be the top thing in many voters minds. 

Biden is just too weak on too many fronts, fair or not. The whole Hunter thing is just stupid and irrelevant but it seems to matter to people, e.g. 

15 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I wish I understood why Harris is so disliked, I don't mind listening to her and don't get it. 

I think Harris is so disliked because she comes off as extremely arrogant and condescending. When she talks she just constantly says dumb things.  I always hear people say Biden made her VP because of her race and gender.

If Democrats want to win they probably would be wise not to chose Newsome. He is way too much of a progressive and makes Trudeau almost look normal. I can't see enough Americans besides Californians voting for him. People are leaving California and migrating elsewhere (red states like Florida, Texas,Utah) because of him.  If that's who the Democrats choose to run though I wouldn't mind

13 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

I think Harris is so disliked because she comes off as extremely arrogant and condescending. When she talks she just constantly says dumb things.  I always hear people say Biden made her VP because of her race and gender.

Can you give me an example? I know I've read some stuff from people on the left that don't like her from her prosecutor days. Regardless, it seems like people on either side of the aisle in the US have reasons to not like her. 

13 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

If Democrats want to win they probably would be wise not to chose Newsome. He is way too much of a progressive and makes Trudeau almost look normal. I can't see enough Americans besides Californians voting for him. People are leaving California and migrating elsewhere (red states like Florida, Texas,Utah) because of him.  If that's who the Democrats choose to run though I wouldn't mind

Dunno, people that look good and speak well often do very well in the US, and people have short attention spans. All he has to do is moderate his views a little bit and I can see him getting a lot of Z and millennial support, particularly as Biden's back up.

Biden would not be a favourite of mine if I were a US citizen, but I mean look at the alternative. Getting Trump back in for a revenge tour would be disastrous. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Can you give me an example? I know I've read some stuff from people on the left that don't like her from her prosecutor days. Regardless, it seems like people on either side of the aisle in the US have reasons to not like her. 

Dunno, people that look good and speak well often do very well in the US, and people have short attention spans. All he has to do is moderate his views a little bit and I can see him getting a lot of Z and millennial support, particularly as Biden's back up.

Biden would not be a favourite of mine if I were a US citizen, but I mean look at the alternative. Getting Trump back in for a revenge tour would be disastrous. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12377347/Kamalas-latest-word-salad-gaffe-sees-VP-tell-bemused-crowd-Community-banks-community.html

She makes no sense. Just look up kamala Harris word salad and you'll find plenty more examples. Can anyone name anything good she's accomplished in the last two years?

As with Finland and new Zealand booting their progressive governments and Trudeau polling at his worst levels yet I can't see Newsome winning. All the states has to do is look to Canada to see what voting for looks get you. With the high fuel cost and record prices for everything I don't think the Democrats have a chance. They will take the blame for that

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

It's only a guess, but when JB took office, he basically saddled her with the southern border gig and like anyone new to a job, she made a bunch of mistakes. There was one interview where she was unprepared and came off sounding like she didn't really consider the border a crisis. (it isn't, but in the currently political climate, you can't come out and say that)

Anyway, this particular interview was seized upon by right wing media and Repugs in Congress. She's never been able to shake that negative impression since then. In fact, some in the GQP (Nikki Haley, for one) are actually campaigning on the fact that the US is a cardiac event away from a President Kamala.....

Somehow, that is seen as worse than having a twice impeached, 4 times Indicted serial liar in the Oval Office. :classic_rolleyes:

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Spring Salmon said:

Really? You think moderate Dems would choose Trump over Gavin Newsome? :classic_huh: