US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

I think the Democrats are gonna lose the next election no matter who they put out there

What do you think would be the main reasons for that outome?

Is it the LGBTQ boogyman? is it the big lie thingy? is it the Russian invasion? Economy?

Or is it that Joe is really old and Harris is a black woman?

I dont understand the states. Trump is someone I didn't like on his tv show. I didn't understand the tude and when I heard how he treated women I thought he would fail big time. Boy was i wrong. So , now I just ask questions. This world is passing me by. 

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

I think the Democrats are gonna lose the next election no matter who they put out there

Anything is possible, but the Republicans are on a bit of a losing streak and that was before Trump was Indicted 4 times....

The MAGA crowd might think being criminally charged is good for Trump's fortunes, but people with a functioning brain don't.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

Anything is possible, but the Republicans are on a bit of a losing streak and that was before Trump was Indicted 4 times....

The MAGA crowd might think being criminally charged is good for Trump's fortunes, but people with a functioning brain don't.

I think that is the problem. People with functioning brains are far and few between in the US and frankly Canada ain't far behind. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Spring Salmon said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12377347/Kamalas-latest-word-salad-gaffe-sees-VP-tell-bemused-crowd-Community-banks-community.html

She makes no sense. Just look up kamala Harris word salad and you'll find plenty more examples. Can anyone name anything good she's accomplished in the last two years?

As with Finland and new Zealand booting their progressive governments and Trudeau polling at his worst levels yet I can't see Newsome winning. All the states has to do is look to Canada to see what voting for looks get you. With the high fuel cost and record prices for everything I don't think the Democrats have a chance. They will take the blame for that

well, she's done some good things at NASA. 

Not sure where I see a progressive agenda has raised any costs for people - it certainly hasn't contributed to global fuel prices. 

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

It's only a guess, but when JB took office, he basically saddled her with the southern border gig and like anyone new to a job, she made a bunch of mistakes. There was one interview where she was unprepared and came off sounding like she didn't really consider the border a crisis. (it isn't, but in the currently political climate, you can't come out and say that)

Anyway, this particular interview was seized upon by right wing media and Repugs in Congress. She's never been able to shake that negative impression since then. In fact, some in the GQP (Nikki Haley, for one) are actually campaigning on the fact that the US is a cardiac event away from a President Kamala.....

Somehow, that is seen as worse than having a twice impeached, 4 times Indicted serial liar in the Oval Office. :classic_rolleyes:

I have to wonder if race is part of it.... dunno. Its rare to see someone with polling so low on 'both sides' so it would be a good idea to maybe look for a new VP.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 hours ago, Bob Long said:

The dem's need to bring in a new person for VP, someone voters can support. I don't know why Harris is so unpopular, but it is what it is. I think if they brought in an older millennial the dem's would crush the GOP next election. 

VP's are always punching bags. I can't think of a single VP who did much of anything beyond Dick Cheney and in his case he did way too much.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

14 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I have to wonder if race is part of it.... dunno. Its rare to see someone with polling so low on 'both sides' so it would be a good idea to maybe look for a new VP.

The double whammy of race and gender is probably what is doing it.

What might also be contributing to it is that she is a Californian politician and a lot of people on both side hates Californian politicians on the federal level. That is why I worry about Newsome if he ever tries for the presidency. 

Edited by 24K
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

VP's are always punching bags. I can't think of a single VP who did much of anything beyond Dick Cheney and in his case he did way too much.

Cheney was the president bar in name alone.

He was right where he wanted to be, in the background, without the spotlight on him. 

His " interpretation" of the unitary executive theory. 

Cheney and Rummy, what a pair. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

well, she's done some good things at NASA. 

Not sure where I see a progressive agenda has raised any costs for people - it certainly hasn't contributed to global fuel prices. 

Carbon tax is pretty progressive. It certainly has raised the price of fuel and everything else. Fertilizer reductions raise food prices. Plastic bag and cutlery ban makes us pay more for substandard replacements. Pretty much everything progressives do cost us more with no actual benefit

6 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Dunno, people that look good and speak well often do very well in the US, and people have short attention spans. All he has to do is moderate his views a little bit and I can see him getting a lot of Z and millennial support, particularly as Biden's back up.

I don’t know that he needs to moderate his views a whole lot. He was remarkably articulate  rebutting everything Hannity threw his way from the economy, border security, sanctuary cities to statements attacking California’s record. For example per capita more Floridians moved to Cali than vice versa.

Don’t usually watch things from Fox but the whole segment was  interesting, but specifically regarding California from about 16:20.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

Carbon tax is pretty progressive. It certainly has raised the price of fuel and everything else. Fertilizer reductions raise food prices. Plastic bag and cutlery ban makes us pay more for substandard replacements. Pretty much everything progressives do cost us more with no actual benefit

Carbon tax definitely raise prices and I really don't like it either mainly because companies just buy carbon offsets that are for the most part frauds with no actual carbon impact. It actually give corporations a false sense of justification to pollute more. 

Fertilizer reduction is due to Russian Ukrainian war so not sure how that have to do with anyone. 

Reduced plastics do help the environment and really newer utensil replacements are becoming just as good and cost effective as plastic ones. Maybe the establishment you frequent never bothered looking around much. 😉 

6 minutes ago, 24K said:

Carbon tax definitely raise prices and I really don't like it either mainly because companies just buy carbon offsets that are for the most part frauds with no actual carbon impact. It actually give corporations a false sense of justification to pollute more. 

Fertilizer reduction is due to Russian Ukrainian war so not sure how that have to do with anyone. 

Reduced plastics do help the environment and really newer utensil replacements are becoming just as good and cost effective as plastic ones. Maybe the establishment you frequent never bothered looking around much. 😉 

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/np-view-trudeau-ploughs-ahead-with-fertilizer-cut-while-turning-a-blind-eye-to-human-suffering

Asian countries dumping plastics in the rivers and oceans is the problem,  not a plastic straw in my Slurpee. Plastic replacements are not anywhere near as good as plastic. What about that report that just came out about how paper straws are actually worse?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spring Salmon said:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/np-view-trudeau-ploughs-ahead-with-fertilizer-cut-while-turning-a-blind-eye-to-human-suffering

Asian countries dumping plastics in the rivers and oceans is the problem,  not a plastic straw in my Slurpee. Plastic replacements are not anywhere near as good as plastic. What about that report that just came out about how paper straws are actually worse?

Just because someone is doing it worse doesn't mean you can't do better. This ain't a race to the bottom.

Yes paper straws aren't really good and that is why we are seeing establishments moving away from it to something that is more biodegradable and actually can withstand liquids like a normal straw. 

On 9/18/2023 at 8:51 AM, Bob Long said:

The dem's need to bring in a new person for VP, someone voters can support. I don't know why Harris is so unpopular, but it is what it is. I think if they brought in an older millennial the dem's would crush the GOP next election. 

I’m sorry, but this would be the death knell for Biden’’s campaign. Black women are literally the strongest supporters of Democrats in the US of any other group. How do you think they’d react if the first black woman Vice President was removed? Further than that Harris bridges the gap to young people.

They LOVE her. Again, taking enthusiasm away from the age group that is the most Democratic supportive of any is a terrible decision. Especially when these voters historically haven’t turned out. Good luck getting them to vote without her on the ticket. And no replacing her with a Buttigieg or Kander or Jackson doesn’t fix that problem.

This is purely another made up beltway media fantasy that in reality will never happen because right now there’s no news with the GOP and Dem primaries blowout wins, so they’re running “Biden is old” pieces to fill the spaces.. She may not be well liked by voters, but she’s on the ticket for 2024, just like Biden is.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay

On 9/18/2023 at 12:37 PM, The Lock said:

I want to think the Dems would crush the Republicans no matter what given how chaotic the Republicans have been, but the last senator elections made me lose a bit of hope when a Republican won in Virginia based solely on a campaign of fear... and this is Virginia we're talking about, not even a deep red state.

I think you’re a bit misinformed. No Republican won Virginia Senate, there wasn’t a race there in 2022. A Republican did flip VA-02, but at the same time the GOP had the worst out of power midterm since 1974 and the worst first presidential midterm in nearly a century. They lost governorships, state legislatures and Senate seats. They barely flipped the House. It was an underperformance for the history books.

Looking at what a state is politically and transferring that to the districts within it gives a biased view. VA-02 was represented by a Republican for 18 years since 2000. Democrats have represented it for only 2 prior to Luria flipping it in the 2018 blue wave. There’s blue districts in Kentucky. There’s red districts in Washington. It’s all about political lean of each individual district and quality of the candidates/campaigns organizations, not the state’s lean itself.

On 9/18/2023 at 4:36 PM, bishopshodan said:

What do you think would be the main reasons for that outome?

Is it the LGBTQ boogyman? is it the big lie thingy? is it the Russian invasion? Economy?

Or is it that Joe is really old and Harris is a black woman?

I dont understand the states. Trump is someone I didn't like on his tv show. I didn't understand the tude and when I heard how he treated women I thought he would fail big time. Boy was i wrong. So , now I just ask questions. This world is passing me by. 

People make Trump into this electoral juggernaut, but he lost the popular vote and squeaked in the electoral college by about 73,000 votes. A win doesn’t make a politician strong, it’s the margins that do: See Josh Shapiro PA Gov.

People are free to their opinions like Salmon, but when there’s been 3 consecutive election cycles of an anti-MAGA/Trump coalition that has shown up to the polls in 2018, 2020 and 2022 powering Democrats in elections unexpectedly, at some point you’ve got to believe in the durability and resiliency of this Democratic coalition and in the weakness of Trump’s. Ok, he won in 2016. He also lost in 2018, 2020 and 2022, so is he really that strong or did he get lucky once? It’s a fair question.

Biden will likely win all the states he did in 2020, add NC and take TX within 5 points in 2024 as the suburbs continue moving left. Special elections (a historically good measure of party enthusiasm/strength) have Democrats doing 6 points better on average than Biden this year. The coalition of moderate/anti-Trump R’s, Democrats, young people, independents, swing voters and minorities hasn’t once looked to be fractured since 2017, so I don’t see any reason why it would suddenly do so now when facing a convicted rapist, 91 indictment charged, abortion ending, January 6th insurrectionist overthrowing democracy opponent.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Bob Long said:

The Rats should get Michelle Obama to run with President Biden. Then she runs for President in 2028. 

7 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I think you’re a bit misinformed. No Republican won Virginia Senate, there wasn’t a race there in 2022. A Republican did flip VA-02, but at the same time the GOP had the worst out of power midterm since 1974 and the worst first presidential midterm in nearly a century. They lost governorships, state legislatures and Senate seats. They barely flipped the House. It was an underperformance for the history books.

Looking at what a state is politically and transferring that to the districts within it gives a biased view. VA-02 was represented by a Republican for 18 years since 2000. Democrats have represented it for only 2 prior to Luria flipping it in the 2018 blue wave. There’s blue districts in Kentucky. There’s red districts in Washington. It’s all about political lean of each individual district and quality of the candidates/campaigns organizations, not the state’s lean itself.

I was wondering about this as well...

My guess was that he was referring to Younkin winning the Governor's office based on little more than Critical Race Theory and the idea that parents should have more say in school curriculum, (despite the fact than 99% of parents know zero about pedagogy :classic_rolleyes:)...

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

People make Trump into this electoral juggernaut, but he lost the popular vote and squeaked in the electoral college by about 73,000 votes. A win doesn’t make a politician strong, it’s the margins that do: See Josh Shapiro PA Gov.

People are free to their opinions like Salmon, but when there’s been 3 consecutive election cycles of an anti-MAGA/Trump coalition that has shown up to the polls in 2018, 2020 and 2022 powering Democrats in elections unexpectedly, at some point you’ve got to believe in the durability and resiliency of this Democratic coalition and in the weakness of Trump’s. Ok, he won in 2016. He also lost in 2018, 2020 and 2022, so is he really that strong or did he get lucky once? It’s a fair question.

Biden will likely win all the states he did in 2020, add NC and take TX within 5 points in 2024 as the suburbs continue moving left. Special elections (a historically good measure of party enthusiasm/strength) have Democrats doing 6 points better on average than Biden this year. The coalition of moderate/anti-Trump R’s, Democrats, young people, independents, swing voters and minorities hasn’t once looked to be fractured since 2017, so I don’t see any reason why it would suddenly do so now when facing a convicted rapist, 91 indictment charged, abortion ending, January 6th insurrectionist overthrowing democracy opponent.

I wonder if you could expand on this a bit...

I fell like he's in pretty good shape in the rust belt and PA, but what about Arizona, Georgia and Nevada? What are you seeing there that makes you confident of a Hold for JB?

13 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

very true. I just don't recall a time when a VP choice was as important - everyone is concerned about Biden's age, so the VP really matters a lot this time. 

I'm not making a judgment on Harris, just its clear most people in the US can't stand her.