The World Events Thread

Sharpshooter

Hmmm? Seems I was on target thinking Indian Intelligence should be suspected of Hardeep Singh Nijjars Surrey assassination in June.

Trudeau suggested as much in Parliament.

I posted  on CDC; Adults Club World Politics & things of concern. I am actually proud of the Trudeau and our govt's actions today.  After being annoyed at an apparent snubbing by Modi & the Indian govt. It seems he was actually standing up for Canadian Sikhs. I grew up in an age where many Punjabi & specifically Sikh Indian populations came to Canada, often as refugee's or having sought asylum. A great deal after the Golden Temple massacre. Then more in fallout as Sikh activists were incriminated in Indira Gandhi's assassination.  All in the 80's. I also observe, report & support charities aiding victims of systemic gender violence, rape and human rights abuses in India; largely women and other minorities. 

These are my posts Sept 12 underlined below.  

Trudeau need more balls here. Its not freedom of expression at issue?  

Its human and civil repressions in India. Sectoral violence, the temple massacre as it relates. Gang and mass rape, family violence. I do know of gang activity here >> started to raise money for Khalistan. Which results in violence in Vancouvers suburbs. It's not that Modi's point has no substance. Maybe HSN, below, should have been extradited? Its my belief Canada is progressive, if an adequate case to extradite were presented. Those who use violence should be arrested. Or are these persecutions? That people have to flee as refugee's, others for a better life when misrepresented by a religious majority at home.  

Those who protest in Canada would probably protest in India. What would happen to them? It needs to be a more tolerant place for all there cultures. India, multicultural yes, still has not made it easy for minorities. Not just Punjabi! That terrorists rise from repression is an Indian problem. A problem not solved chastising Canada!

I also posted this article & You Tube news coverage of the Indian govt ridiculing Trudeau over Sikh activity in Canada. 

Temple Gurdwara leader, Hardeep Singh Nijjar, was he shot by Indian intelligence at the Guru Nanak Surrey temple in June?  Related article;

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/shooting-gurdwara-surrey-hardeep-singh-nijjar-1.6880944#:~:text=The president of the Guru,after evening prayers had finished.

The president of the Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdwara in Surrey, B.C., was shot dead inside a car Sunday night in the temple's busy parking lot in what police are calling a targeted killing.

Investigators say Hardeep Singh Nijjar was killed just before 8:30 p.m. PT, soon after evening prayers had finished. Nijjar was a prominent leader in the Sikh community and is being mourned widely on social media.

Assistant RCMP Commissioner Brian Edwards called the homicide brazen and shocking.

"I am absolutely appalled this would take place in a house of worship," he said. "It's disgusting."

Members of the Integrated Homicide Investigations Unit (IHIT) are looking at whether a car found on fire in Coquitlam shortly afterwards is connected to the killing and are appealing for witnesses and people with dashcam footage from the area to come forward.

• Upvote 1

On 9/21/2023 at 6:22 AM, Canuck Surfer said:

BMOC? MBS a true world contemporary, moderating & modern influence???   

Intruding on India seems a conclusion the narrator believes based on commentary...

I don't see either, but hey!

He’s literally amongst the worst world leaders living today. Top 5 for sure. 

I still remember the old Trump thread, there was a certain poster that used to claim that racism was a political boogyman...

Anyone think we don't still have a way to go? 

Poster for B.C. ‘whites only’ parent-child group sparks outrage

https://globalnews.ca/news/9984357/whites-only-poster-bc-mom-group/

• Upvote 1

Changes coming to the smoking laws in Britain.

Seems like a good idea to me.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/smoking-age-to-go-up-by-a-year-every-year-and-strict-vaping-rules-on-their-way/ar-AA1hGy9o?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=9203714670344cf1b7d3449e253e01c8&ei=94

"

The smoking age is to go up by a year every year, and new tougher rules on vaping are to be introduced, Rishi Sunak has announced today.

The tougher tobacco sale laws would mean a 14-year-old today will ‘never legally be sold a cigarette’ as the smoking age limit is gradually increased from 18.

In the incremental New Zealand-style ban, the prime minister told Tory conference-goers doing so would help ease the pressure on the NHS.

To applause from party members, Sunak said the change would ‘save more lives than any other decision we could take’ as 64,000 people a year currently die from smoking.

The Tory leader denied it would ‘take away the rights of anyone to smoke who currently does’.

Sunak said from the conference in Manchester: ‘If we are to do the right thing for our kids, we must try and stop teenagers taking up cigarettes in the first place.

‘Because without a significant change, thousands of children will start smoking in the coming years and have their lives cut short as a result.’

He added: ‘I propose that in future we raise the smoking age by one year every year.

‘That means a 14-year-old today will never legally be sold a cigarette and that they and their generation can grow up smoke-free.’

It will be a ‘free’ vote in Parliament, meaning MPs can vote with their own preference rather than be whipped into a certain position by party leaders.

If passed, this would make Britain the first country in Europe to ban cigarette sales to young people.

Sunak added: ‘We have a chance to cut cancer deaths by a quarter, significantly ease those pressures and protect our children, and we should take it.’

Smoking costs health services £17,000,000,000 a year, the PM said.

He has also announced a new crackdown on vaping, vowing to scrutinise ‘flavours, packaging, displays and disposable vapes’.

Adding that data suggests one in five children now use e-cigarettes, Sunak said: ‘That is shocking and wrong. And we must act before it becomes endemic.’

Health experts and consumer officials have become increasingly worried that vapes are being marketed with children in mind; think fruity flavours and colourful packaging.

Hundreds of vapes sold illegally to minors – some as young as 12 – were seized by Trading Standards teams in England and Wales across 2021.

‘We must put the next generation first,’ Sunak added, ‘and that is what I will do.’

The number of smokers has been declining since the 1970s. Around 6,400,000 people in the UK smoke, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

Around one in 10 18 to 24-year-olds are smokes, the statistics agency says.

The age limit for buying cigarettes has been 18 since 2007. That same year, decades of smoke-filled pubs and restaurants came to an end when smoking in enclosed public spaces was outlawed.

In New Zealand, no one born on or after January 1, 2009, can legally buy tobacco.

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

Changes coming to the smoking laws in Britain.

Seems like a good idea to me.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/smoking-age-to-go-up-by-a-year-every-year-and-strict-vaping-rules-on-their-way/ar-AA1hGy9o?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=9203714670344cf1b7d3449e253e01c8&ei=94

"

The smoking age is to go up by a year every year, and new tougher rules on vaping are to be introduced, Rishi Sunak has announced today.

The tougher tobacco sale laws would mean a 14-year-old today will ‘never legally be sold a cigarette’ as the smoking age limit is gradually increased from 18.

In the incremental New Zealand-style ban, the prime minister told Tory conference-goers doing so would help ease the pressure on the NHS.

To applause from party members, Sunak said the change would ‘save more lives than any other decision we could take’ as 64,000 people a year currently die from smoking.

The Tory leader denied it would ‘take away the rights of anyone to smoke who currently does’.

Sunak said from the conference in Manchester: ‘If we are to do the right thing for our kids, we must try and stop teenagers taking up cigarettes in the first place.

‘Because without a significant change, thousands of children will start smoking in the coming years and have their lives cut short as a result.’

He added: ‘I propose that in future we raise the smoking age by one year every year.

‘That means a 14-year-old today will never legally be sold a cigarette and that they and their generation can grow up smoke-free.’

It will be a ‘free’ vote in Parliament, meaning MPs can vote with their own preference rather than be whipped into a certain position by party leaders.

If passed, this would make Britain the first country in Europe to ban cigarette sales to young people.

Sunak added: ‘We have a chance to cut cancer deaths by a quarter, significantly ease those pressures and protect our children, and we should take it.’

Smoking costs health services £17,000,000,000 a year, the PM said.

He has also announced a new crackdown on vaping, vowing to scrutinise ‘flavours, packaging, displays and disposable vapes’.

Adding that data suggests one in five children now use e-cigarettes, Sunak said: ‘That is shocking and wrong. And we must act before it becomes endemic.’

Health experts and consumer officials have become increasingly worried that vapes are being marketed with children in mind; think fruity flavours and colourful packaging.

Hundreds of vapes sold illegally to minors – some as young as 12 – were seized by Trading Standards teams in England and Wales across 2021.

‘We must put the next generation first,’ Sunak added, ‘and that is what I will do.’

The number of smokers has been declining since the 1970s. Around 6,400,000 people in the UK smoke, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

Around one in 10 18 to 24-year-olds are smokes, the statistics agency says.

The age limit for buying cigarettes has been 18 since 2007. That same year, decades of smoke-filled pubs and restaurants came to an end when smoking in enclosed public spaces was outlawed.

In New Zealand, no one born on or after January 1, 2009, can legally buy tobacco.

While it's a noble cause, my question would be whether that would actually work or would it turn vaping into the new "marijuana" where you just get dealers, etc. This could be a double edged sword that could also potentially increase the popularity due to it being less obtainable. Society sometimes works in weird ways after all.

That being said, we're getting close to the time where we'll see if New Zealand's strategy works or not.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

While it's a noble cause, my question would be whether that would actually work or would it turn vaping into the new "marijuana" where you just get dealers, etc. This could be a double edged sword that could also potentially increase the popularity due to it being less obtainable. Society sometimes works in weird ways after all.

That being said, we're getting close to the time where we'll see if New Zealand's strategy works or not.

I have the same thoughts as you.  Prohibition of substances historically doesn't work.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I have the same thoughts as you.  Prohibition of substances historically doesn't work.

Yeah, I think the biggest thing is you need to get people to not want to use those substances. Legislation alone will not do that. People still speed. People still do cocaine, etc. Legislation should never be considered the end all solution to things in my opinion.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, King Heffy said:

5 hours ago, The Lock said:

Yeah, I think the biggest thing is you need to get people to not want to use those substances. Legislation alone will not do that. People still speed. People still do cocaine, etc. Legislation should never be considered the end all solution to things in my opinion.

How about making it a requirement that manufacturers must purposely mixing in foul-tasting shit into the tobacco, or dilute it with inert stuff?  Not that I'd advocate any sort of contamination/tampering of consumer goods... :classic_ninja:

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

How about making it a requirement that manufacturers must purposely mixing in foul-tasting shit into the tobacco, or dilute it with inert stuff?  Not that I'd advocate any sort of contamination/tampering of consumer goods... :classic_ninja:

They're already doing that voluntarily.  I'd rather just stick with taxing the hell out of it like we're doing.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Honestly, if you did that gradually over a period of decades, I could see it working. Create laws where manufacturers have to put in flavour deterrents, making it more bland, etc. Canada's already banned some use of flavorings in the past. I think that might be the right path.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

File this one under "WTF were they thinking?".....:picard:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/juveniles-charged-with-dousing-acid-on-playground-slides-that-injured-4-children/ar-AA1iAguB?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=2de0e1a094574ae3b49d9695e6ec5d1e&ei=57

Two juveniles have been charged after several slides at a Massachusetts park were doused with acid in this summer and four children were injured, the Hampden District Attorney Anthony Gulluni said.

The juveniles, whose identities cannot be released due to their ages, have been charged with four counts of assault and battery on a child with injury and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon as well as vandalism, Gulluni said. His office did not say whether the pair have been arrested.

“Our collective effort to charge those we believe are responsible should make clear that protecting this community’s children is among our highest priorities,” Gulluni said in a statement late Thursday. "Whether the threat and harm caused were intended as pranks or malicious acts, it will not be tolerated.”

In June, police and firefighters responded to Bliss Park in Longmeadow for a report of a suspicious substance on the playground equipment. At about the same time, firefighters and emergency medical technicians went to a nearby home for a report of children with burns who had just left the park.

“I let the kids go play. I didn’t notice that there was liquid to collect at the bottom of the slide. I just assumed it was rainwater,” their mother, Ashley Thielen, told Western Mass News in Springfield. “I didn’t really think much of it, and then, my baby, who is 1, just started crying. That was when I knew this liquid that they were around wasn’t water.”

The acid left mostly superficial blisters and swelling on her children’s skin, Thielen said, but it could have been much worse.

“The bottom of the slide, where it was, there was a good amount of it collected there,” she said. “I was surprised he didn’t start splashing in it.”

Authorities determined that someone broke into a storage room where chemicals are kept at the park’s swimming pool and stole muriatic acid. The acid, which can be used for cleaning or for maintaining a pool’s pH balance, was then poured on three slides, authorities said.

• Sad 1

All I can say is that I really hope there are some dog lovers in the same lockup as this POS....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/man-tortured-11-week-old-puppy-to-death-for-a-laugh/ar-AA1izHth?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=955916044389494d9a575b203bd9e94a&ei=25

A cruel dog owner who tortured an 11-week-old puppy to death did it ‘for no other reason than enjoyment’, a court heard. 

Dudley Payne, 29, has been jailed for two years and nine months after the horrific attack on American Bully Rocko. 

The pup’s breeder, George Wilson, said Rocko was in top condition when he handed him over to Payne in January 2022. 

But within a week, the puppy had died at the hands of Payne, suffering horrific injuries which included cigarette burns, broken bones and internal bleeding. Rocko’s heart also showed signs of having a massive rush of adrenaline before he died, showing the pup was terrified, the court heart.

Handing down the sentence, the Honorary Recorder of Preston, Judge Robert Altham, said: ‘The only conclusion I can draw is that you tortured that dog to death. He must have died in agony and terror.

‘You have shown no remorse. I am driven to the appalling conclusion you did it to him because you enjoyed it.’

During a trial in August 2023, Preston Crown Court heard Payne agreed to buy Rocko from Mr Wilson, an old school friend, on a payment plan. 

He took him home on January 25 but failed to make the first instalment. On January 29, Rocko was given his injections and a clean bill of health, but on February 1, Payne’s grandmother called the out of hours vet.

‘It was clear the dog was either dead or close to death’, Judge Altham said.

The court heard the vet fee was too high for Payne, however the vet said Payne could pay what he could afford and set up a plan to pay the remaining cost.

However the following day, Payne called Mr Wilson and told him the puppy had died. 

Mr Wilson was immediately suspicious, and told Payne to take Rocko to his own vet, Chris Mason.

At the vets it was clear Rocko had suffered serious injuries and Mr Wilson offered to pay for a post-mortem to find out what had happened. It emerged Rocko had suffered horrific injuries consistent with him being held down, his legs pulled forcefully apart and burnt with cigarettes.

He also had blunt force trauma to his abdomen and head, likely to have been caused by a fist. 

When the vet saw the results of the post mortem, he made a report to the RSPCA, and Payne was charged with causing unnecessary suffering to an animal.

In a statement read in court at the trial, RSPCA inspector Emma Dingley said: ‘The vet received the postmortem results back and immediately contacted the RSPCA.

‘He told me on the phone it was the worst postmortem examination report he had ever read.’

He denied the offence, claiming Rocko was in poor health when he collected him from Mr Wilson, and needed ‘a bit of love’.

However the jury saw through his lies and Payne, of Braintree Avenue, Penwortham, was found unanimously guilty of the offence. 

Mr Wilson said: ‘Rocko was in great condition. He was the biggest of the litter. The vet checked him over and said he was bang on perfect.

‘I’ve known Dudley since primary school and I never thought he would do something like this. It’s shocking and I’m disgusted by it. The sentence is nothing really, is it? Rocko could have lived for 12 – 15 years.’

Judge Altham commended Mr Wilson’s actions which ensured Payne’s cruelty was fully investigated and brought to justice.

Speaking after the hearing, inspector Dingley said: ‘I will never be able to comprehend what happened to Rocko and why such a young animal was treated in such a cruel way.

‘This investigation will stay with me forever, but I’m pleased that we were able to get some justice for this little puppy, and I think the long custodial sentence reflects the gravity of this case.’

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1