The World Events Thread

Sharpshooter

On 11/28/2023 at 3:42 AM, Crimson JH said:

A crazy dude went streaking and waddling through Disneyland’s “It’s a small world” ride. 

spacer.png

Disneyland‘s “It’s a Small World” attraction was the site of a big disturbance over the weekend when a man decided to strip downmid-ride and crawl around the exhibit, to the shock of his fellow passengers.

Police in Anaheim, Calif., responded to a call to the theme park early Sunday afternoon after the unidentified 26-year-old man exited his boat, took off his shirt, shoes and pants and began climbing over and around the ride’s animatronic characters.

Video captured of the incident and posted to Instagram by user @magic.with.maegra shows other visitors and staff encouraging the man to rejoin the ride as a passenger.

“Stop, stop! I need you to stop,” a staff member can be heard yelling.

“Please just stop, you’re going to get hurt.”

Story continues below advertisement

A passenger cries out, “Oh God, he’s going to break all the stuff.”

“They should stop the music,” another visitor suggests.

And while the video posted to Instagram is fairly tame as he remains in his underwear, other very NSFW video shows the man wading through the outdoor part of the attraction fully naked.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10117385/naked-man-small-world-ride-disneyland/

I can see it now.....

"Hey bro, what are you doing today?"

"Oh, I thought I'd go hang out at Disneyland".....

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

We here in the Occident (look it up) are quite used to internet outrage over minor and perceived slights, but it's not just us:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/30/china/china-celebrity-chef-egg-fried-rice-backlash-intl-hnk/index.html

Making a maontain out of a molehill if you ask me....

We here in the Occident would call them snowflakes, while my people in HK would refer to them as "glass hearts" (easily shattered).  Other terms, perhaps more polite, others perhaps less so, would include, "insecure", "too sensitive", and "short man syndrome".  :picard:

• Cheers 1

Perhaps Trudeau was completely justified (I believe he was) for calling out India?

Regarding Hardeep Singh Nijjars assassination in South Surrey in June.  

Now a US based Sikh separatist, has also been subject of a similar plot.  Except a senior Indian field officer (agent) paid a US under cover agent $100K to do the killing.

• Vintage 1

Ties to the mob.

Many rumours of infidelity.

Multiple court cases and incidents for assualt, including sucker punching an old man.

Oh, add in some steriods, lots of cocaine and a sprinkle of racism.

I mean, why not....he's rich and popular. That's all that counts

UFC superstar Conor McGregor weighs in on potential run for President of Ireland

https://torontosun.com/sports/mma/mcgregor-weighs-in-on-potential-run-for-president-of-ireland

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Ties to the mob.

Multiple court cases and incidents for assualt, including sucker punching an old man.

UFC superstar Conor McGregor weighs in on potential run for President of Ireland

https://torontosun.com/sports/mma/mcgregor-weighs-in-on-potential-run-for-president-of-ireland

We deserve the politicians we elect 

• ThereItIs 2

11 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Utterly selfish. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

All this Venezuela news, you can guess why they was the western part of Guyana. 

Freedom

RDT_20231206_2033464576381320141068867.jpg

I've been to both countries. I spent 10 weeks in Guyana doing a community development project there in the mid 2000s. Guyana is, culturally, nothing like Venezuela. Guyana is culturally Caribbean and speaks English. Venezuela attempting to assert control, because the area may or may not have been part of a Spanish colony 200 years ago is absurd. 

• Cheers 1

The world's wealthiest families got $1.5 trillion richer in 2023, with Hermès' owners and the rulers of Abu Dhabi leading the way

The world's 25 wealthiest families have had a stellar 2023, according to Bloomberg.

Ultra-rich dynasties have added another $1.5 trillion to their personal fortunes this year, the outlet reported Thursday. Strong economic growth, cooling inflation, and resilient consumer spending have all helped to support their businesses over the past 12 months.

Abu Dhabi rulers the Al Nahyans and the owners of the French luxury fashion house Hermès have both seen their wealth balloon in 2023, per Bloomberg.

https://www.businessinsider.com/richest-wealthiest-families-hermes-abu-dhabi-waltons-billionaires-elon-musk-2023-12?utm_source=join1440&utm_medium=email&utm_placement=newsletter

• Sad 1

Global issue, local instance.

Food waste in the spotlight after thousands of oranges left at Metro Vancouver dump

WH_GLOBAL_BC__0029_SIMON_LITTLE.png?w=13janet-brown.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&w=1
By Simon Little & Janet Brown  Global News
Posted December 11, 2023 5:06 pm
 Updated December 11, 2023 6:37 pm
Click to play video: 'Truck loads of oranges dumped at North Vancouver waste centre'

Truck loads of ripe mandarin oranges dumped at a North Vancouver transfer station is highlighting the issue of food waste. As Janet Brown tells us, the incident is part of a much bigger problem.

The disposal of truckloads of apparently edible oranges at a Metro Vancouver transfer station is highlighting concerns about food waste.

Sonia Rivest, who works as a gardener, began to see the massive piles of oranges show up at the North Vancouver transfer station in early November.

“I just assumed it was fruit that either had gone bad or had some kind of biological issue,” she told Global News.

“It was shocking. Maybe even the next week I saw it again, and I was like, ‘OK, maybe there is a really big amount that went poor and could not be sold or used safely,’ again assuming there was a good reason this was happening.”

As far as Rivest has been able to discern, that wasn’t the case.

Oranges dumped at the North Vancouver transfer station.

Oranges dumped at the North Vancouver transfer station. Sonia Rivest

As first reported by the North Shore News, Rivest spoke with staff at the transfer station, who told her the oranges had reportedly ripened too early for the holidays and were being disposed of as a result.

“They said on average they at least get one dump truck a day … and then they said up to three a day,” she said.

“We were eating them and they were delightful, they were fine … We started actually taking like carrier bags, cloth shopping bags, and filling them up.”

In a statement, Metro Vancouver, which operates the transfer station, said the waste was “unfortunate,” but that “there are no rules against accepting edible items.”

The food waste problem in Metro Vancouver is neither new, nor small.

Metro Vancouver estimates 13,000 tonnes of edible, healthy food is thrown out every year in the region.

“I don’t think people thought about this 10 years ago,” Ian Tostenson, president and CEO of the B.C. Restaurant and Foodservice Association said.

“Food waste in society is big. Food waste in restaurants is really big because sometimes we can’t determine what our demand is.”

Tostenson said restaurants in B.C. have increasingly been turning to companies and charities that try to divert waste from the landfill by connecting it with non-profits and charities.

Technology, he said, has allowed many to get food that remains unused in restaurant fridges that is nearing its expiration to get to those who need it quickly and safely.

Michelle Reining heads up Vancouver Food Runners, a charity focused on connecting food from donors like restaurants, grocery stores and caterers, with non-profit organizations that need it.

The group uses an app to connect food donors, food recipients and volunteer drivers together to make same-day deliveries.

“By the end of 2023 we will be looking to redirect over 1.2-million pounds (544,310 kilograms) of food to our non-profit partners, so that’s about a million-equivalent meals, and at the same time this is going to be mitigating a lot of CO2 from the environment as well,” she explained.

That delivery figure is up from about 235,000 pounds in 2020, the charity’s inaugural year, and represents a 47-per cent growth this year alone.

Reining said the key to the program’s success is the speed with which food waste can be connected with someone who needs it — whether it be a large organization serving the homeless like the United Gospel Mission or a small community fridge.

“Because we are able to pick up so quickly, most of our food is fresh,” she said.

“We are filling a big need; the demand from food businesses is increasing. I think there is a greater awareness of food recovery, of the importance of reducing food waste, and businesses are interested in getting involved.”

While the growing popularity of initiatives like the Vancouver Food Runners is a start, Rivest said she wants to see action from the government to prevent edible food from being thrown out.

She pointed to the example of France, which in 2015 passed a law banning supermarkets from destroying unsold food — requiring instead that it be used for charities, animal feed or compost.

“This time of year, this is when the food banks are all coming out asking for help, we hear about food poverty in Canada … there’s humanitarian aspect of we’re throwing away food that can be eaten,” she said.

“Why is Metro (Vancouver) accepting them? Because they have a choice. It’s not a bylaw, it’s not a rule, but they can turn them away.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/10162690/food-waste-in-the-spotlight-after-thousands-of-oranges-left-at-metro-vancouver-dump/

Too good to sell them for dirt cheap?  How about donating them to places that can use them?  Or maybe selling it as an input to someone's novel product?  Anything, other than just sending it to the junk pile.  :picard:

To me this is one of the biggest news stories in my life time.  It honestly is!

https://apnews.com/article/vatican-lgbtq-pope-bfa5b71fa79055626e362936e739d1d8

Pope sends message of acceptance; to allow the blessing of same sex couples.  

I'm an atheist born to a Catholic family.  I absolutely applaud its message.  I'd like it to go farther, include marriage, yet still is such a resounding 1st step to acceptance of what might be 20 or 30%, more of of the world's' population.   Bravo Mr Pope!

Spoiler

@Sharpshooter please accept without condemnation my, somewhat tongue in cheek, view he just wants to hold on to some of his Cardinals & Priests.  They still have to lay off little boys in confession... 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

No need for a whole Elon thread as a lot was hashed out on the old forum thread. 

Thing is, the hyperloop scam is finally closing up shop.  What a farce.

Almost half a billion down the drain.  Or, lining a bunch of people's pockets. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-12-21/hyperloop-one-to-shut-down-after-raising-millions-to-reinvent-transit?leadSource=reddit_wall

Hyperloop One to Shut Down After Failing to Reinvent Transit

The company is selling assets, laying off remaining employees.

Edited by the destroyer of worlds

On 12/5/2023 at 11:48 AM, bishopshodan said:

Ties to the mob.

I don't usually do this but 

Who the foook ? 

Never had much respect for this guy.

Loved it when my GOAT, Khabib took this guy down. 

One commentator stated 

Khabib used stoicism to humble Connor McGregor, by exposing his dirty and violent actions revealing his true character, and highlighting that those that criticise and hate the most, are often deeply unhappy and unjust people.

• ThereItIs 1

On 12/20/2023 at 10:00 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

To me this is one of the biggest news stories in my life time.  It honestly is!

https://apnews.com/article/vatican-lgbtq-pope-bfa5b71fa79055626e362936e739d1d8

Pope sends message of acceptance; to allow the blessing of same sex couples.  

I'm an atheist born to a Catholic family.  I absolutely applaud its message.  I'd like it to go farther, include marriage, yet still is such a resounding 1st step to acceptance of what might be 20 or 30%, more of of the world's' population.   Bravo Mr Pope!

Reveal hidden contents

@Sharpshooter please accept without condemnation my, somewhat tongue in cheek, view he just wants to hold on to some of his Cardinals & Priests.  They still have to lay off little boys in confession... 

@UnkNuk posted this in the God Thread.

Really disappointed that the people that criticise the church, and rightly so, don't now give credit, where credit is due. 

Oh and by the way, you're too smart to be an athiest.

It's now my mission to convert you to agnosticism.

9 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

No need for a whole Elon thread as a lot was hashed out on the old forum thread. 

Thing is, the hyperloop scam is finally closing up shop.  What a farce.

Almost half a billion down the drain.  Or, lining a bunch of people's pockets. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-12-21/hyperloop-one-to-shut-down-after-raising-millions-to-reinvent-transit?leadSource=reddit_wall

Hyperloop One to Shut Down After Failing to Reinvent Transit

The company is selling assets, laying off remaining employees.

I've been one of Elon's biggest critics, ever since he took over Twitter and became the world's richest internet troll, but if I'm being honest, had he not purchased Twitter and become this bizarre version of himself, I'd likely be in his corner.

Hyperloop One didn't pan out, but IMO, we need people like Elon who "dream big", even if those dreams sometimes turn into spectacular failures....

Hopefully the next big idea works out.....and hopefully Elon clues into the fact that he's doing himself no favors with Xitter, cuts his losses and sells it off.

• ThereItIs 1