[Waviers] October 4, 2023

Wow, how someone like Bernard-Docker has fallen, that even a team like San Jose's blueline didn't pick him up yesterday.

For today I'd pick up Hagg, could always use some more size and sandpaper (he fought Tom Wilson before, and as recently as last season he was playing 15-16 minutes a night with Detroit; he could be some deterrence and a defensive option to offset mobile guys like Wolanin).

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

You'd figure he's fine given that 3 teams have acquired him in the last two years. 

19 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Not a chance with the 2018 investigation still ongoing.

I don't know much about the investigation or Cal Foote's game - but doesn't a big, former first-rounder that can play 14 minutes a night on the right side of a legitimate team (Tampa) seem better than what we currently have?

Like doesn't that sound like a better experiment with Hughes than Juulsen or McWard?

And assuming that doesn't work, then wouldn't he work better at the bottom of the lineup than either of those? Seeing as he's already been able to do that in Tampa and Nashville?

Just now, nzan said:

I don't know much about the investigation or Cal Foote's game - but doesn't a big, former first-rounder that can play 14 minutes a night on the right side of a legitimate team (Tampa) seem better than what we currently have?

Like doesn't that sound like a better experiment with Hughes than Juulsen or McWard?

And assuming that doesn't work, then wouldn't he work better at the bottom of the lineup than either of those? Seeing as he's already been able to do that in Tampa and Nashville?

On the ice, absolutely.  I'm personally not comfortable taking anyone from that team though given the seriousness of the accusations.  Some things are more important than hockey.

• Cheers 1

Gawanke is a right-shot guy who has been very effective in the AHL, and even at the World Championships for Germany. That said, it’s concerning that he couldn’t make the Sharks, who are in desperate need of a RD who can move the puck.

I think Canucks will claim Cal Foote. He’s a step up on McWard/Juulsen, and his Dad is on the coaching staff. Seems like a logical fit.

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Gawanke is a right-shot guy who has been very effective in the AHL, and even at the World Championships for Germany. That said, it’s concerning that he couldn’t make the Sharks, who are in desperate need of a RD who can move the puck.

I think Canucks will claim Cal Foote. He’s a step up on McWard/Juulsen, and his Dad is on the coaching staff. Seems like a logical fit.

He could have signed with us though.

If they didn’t want him before I doubt they want him now.

Pass on all these players. Yesterdays group was better. I’d wait till the last crop of players get waived. These will be the players teams don’t wanna dump but were unable to trade.

Edited by DeNiro
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He could have signed with us though.

If they didn’t want him before I doubt they want him now.

Pass on all these players. Yesterdays group was better. I’d wait till the last crop of players get waived. These will be the players teams don’t wanna dump but were unable to trade.

A lot has happened since then. I think they were hoping Soucy or Juulsen would work with Hughes. This doesn’t seem to be the case, and Juulsen doesn’t look NHL calibre. Irwin was terrible in camp, and Hirose’s not ready, so Soucy is needed to stabilize Myers. And even though they are talking up McWard, he doesn’t look NHL-ready either.

Foote has at least played regular NHL minutes. He’s better than what it turns out we have to play with Hughes. But even if it’s not him, I suspect they’ll add someone soon.

Edited by D-Money