[Report] NHL salary cap to increase to 87/88 million

19 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Doomsday Drance mentioned on 650 that Bally sports, which is heavily involved with a lot of US based hockey teams is currently undergoing a bankruptcy process that could impact this salary Cap bump.

Well the NHL hasn’t exactly been money on their projections the last few years… so I am not assuming that bump until it has been confirmed.

Really for the Canucks it doesn’t matter much.  The higher the bump, the more of it gets eaten up by Petterson.  We would be better off with no increase for a couple years when we could get him locked up and then see the cap increase.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well the NHL hasn’t exactly been money on their projections the last few years… so I am not assuming that bump until it has been confirmed.

Really for the Canucks it doesn’t matter much.  The higher the bump, the more of it gets eaten up by Petterson.  We would be better off with no increase for a couple years when we could get him locked up and then see the cap increase.

We need the bump so we can pay for OEL, that is going to suck for the next few years

1 hour ago, Rekker said:

Petey gonna get paid, and deservedly so. 

Pettersson puts up 85+ points and signs for 12M+x8

If we get more clarity towards the end of this coming season about future cap jumps I do think that will contribute to his being paid more

Alternatively, I can very easily see a world where Pettersson isn't interested in a max term deal

If the cap jumps 3-5m per season over the next few seasons he'd likely coming out making at least what he signs for on this next contract when he expires on his next contract 

Why sign for 11-12x8 when you can do like 11-12x4 and cash in on a larger longer term deal that'll pay more after?

The more I think about it the more Petey signing longer term benefits the Canucks, Petey likely already bets on himself this coming season or a deal would be done, why wouldn't he do it again?

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Are you talking to yourself Coco?  🤨

A-yes

Edited by Coconuts
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

According to CapFriendly, we will have $31,683,333 in cap space with an $87.5 million cap. With 13 players signed. 

We will need around $19 million to sign  Petey and Hronek. So will have just under $13 million left to sign 8 more players. 

Hopefully guys like Podkolzin, Silovs and Raty can crack the lineup so that we have some cheap contracts to fill the remaining 8 spots. We will have to go after some UFA’s again next summer. Probably need at least 2 Dmen and a 4th liner who can bang and crash and drop the gloves. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

Pettersson taking a shorter deal also gives him an opportunity to weigh his options regarding the Canucks as it'd take him to UFA

Petey ain't a younger RFA, the Canucks don't have the leverage to strong-arm him into a longer term deal If he doesn't want one, he'll get paid regardless, especially if he wants to hold onto the UFA card

Pettersson is in the driver's seat regarding his future and regarding the term of his deal

59 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Pettersson taking a shorter deal also gives him an opportunity to weigh his options regarding the Canucks as it'd take him to UFA

Petey ain't a younger RFA, the Canucks don't have the leverage to strong-arm him into a longer term deal If he doesn't want one, he'll get paid regardless, especially if he wants to hold onto the UFA card

Pettersson is in the driver's seat regarding his future and regarding the term of his deal

i would not gamble with that much money 4 years is a long time and they could get hurt real bad affecting their play or career... i thinks its extra greedy to gamble when you are likely to be in the top 10 contracts in the league anyways... you could just structure the 8 year contract in a way to provide more cash in the early years so you can invest and make up the difference anyways

56 minutes ago, Dankmemes187 said:

i would not gamble with that much money 4 years is a long time and they could get hurt real bad affecting their play or career... i thinks its extra greedy to gamble when you are likely to be in the top 10 contracts in the league anyways... you could just structure the 8 year contract in a way to provide more cash in the early years so you can invest and make up the difference anyways

I mean, who cares if it's greedy if it's what he's worth on x market during x year? It also wouldn't be exclusively about money, taking a 3-4 year deal gives him an out if he's not pleased with where the Canucks are at or simply wants a change of scenery. Careers can go quickly and guys only get one, I don't begrudge guys wanting to keep their options open or to maximize their bag. 

Edited by Coconuts

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I mean, who cares if it's greedy if it's what he's worth on x market during x year? It also wouldn't be exclusively about money, taking a 3-4 year deal gives him an out if he's not pleased with where the Canucks are at or simply wants a change of scenery. Careers can go quickly and guys only get one, I don't begrudge guys wanting to keep their options open or to maximize their bag. 

its greedy because its very risky... look at eric lindros and other players that had short careers... and as i mentioned you could get the majority of the salary paid up front and make up the difference in a less risky way through stocks or some other investment... with 8 years you could structure it ina way you would get paid way more during the first 4 years than a 4 year contract.... when you are a millionaire people are offering you 20% interest all day