How old are you ?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. How old are you ?

• 18-25
    • 25-35
    • 35-45
    • 50+
    • 10-18

Just curious. Because there's a theory out there that forums are for 30+ year olds and the young bucks don't even know what they are. Plus I think this will show that the mods are doing the right thing by allowing some cursing and swearing. Just don't over-do it. Sports and swearing go hand in hand. 

Edited by Blue

7 hours ago, Blue said:

Just curious. Because there's a theory out there that forums are for 30+ year olds and the young bucks don't even know what they are. Plus I think this will show that the mods are doing the right thing by allowing some cursing and swearing. Just don't over-do it. Sports and swearing go hand in hand. 

Personally, I think there's some truth to that theory about forum demographics in general.  Internet forums are essentially technological descendants of BBS boards (and you have to be a certain age to remember what those are) and predate "modern" social media platforms like Xitter, F-book, etc.  And most younger people grew up with those platforms and likely prefer it to this format, which may be viewed as semi-anachronistic.

Although it's true that there are younger people who have been members of this forum for a long time, I'd also have to say that this forum is a bit of a unicorn: not only was CDC was really the only genuinely active forum on all the official NHL team sites, but forums in general are closing down everywhere.  And that says a lot about the dedication (or stubbornness, if you like) of our little community.

Finally, in regards to the use of expletives on the site: well, I can tell you that at my age (well over 50+), I actually swear a lot less than I did when I was still in elementary school, so I don't really see what the worry is there.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, undrafted said:

Personally, I think there's some truth to that theory about forum demographics in general.  Internet forums are essentially technological descendants of BBS boards (and you have to be a certain age to remember what those are) and predate "modern" social media platforms like Xitter, F-book, etc.  And most younger people grew up with those platforms and likely prefer it to this format, which may be viewed as semi-anachronistic.

Although it's true that there are younger people who have been members of this forum for a long time, I'd also have to say that this forum is a bit of a unicorn: not only was CDC was really the only genuinely active forum on all the official NHL team sites, but forums in general are closing down everywhere.  And that says a lot about the dedication (or stubbornness, if you like) of our little community.

Finally, in regards to the use of expletives on the site: well, I can tell you that at my age (well over 50+), I actually swear a lot less than I did when I was still in elementary school, so I don't really see what the worry is there.

Agreed. Partly Facebook, but I really think the rise of Reddit killed most forums off for good. I think they both fill different niches and forums definitely still exist out there in other communities, such as car and tech communities, but my friends who I've tried to get on CDC either get their fills through Facebook and Reddit. I feel that neither support long form conversations as well as the traditional medium we use, which is one of the reasons I like it more. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, undrafted said:

I disagree with the narrative that all forums are destined for death. HF Boards is still going strong. The "social media" wave has already crested and forums didn't die. Anonymity is important again. Most social media apps require a personal phone number now.

Forums will always have a strong niche. When I buy a new vehicle or motorcycle, the first thing I do is join a forum specific to that vehicle. For fixing or modifying things that other ppl have, a forum is where you go for help and advice. I don't start surfing around Twitter for advice on how to change the rear wheel barings on my 2002 Yamaha Raptor. 

but forums in general are closing down everywhere.

It isn't 2013 anymore. That was 10 years ago. 

Plus using CDC's closure as proof isn't right. It didn't die naturally from lack of demand.

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

What if you're 46? What about 35? Which one do you vote for if you're 35? What about 25 or 18?

49 or under is included in the previous tier.

I didn't think this through very well. But since you have mod powers, you can set it straight if you want

On 10/5/2023 at 2:11 PM, Blue said:

I don't know about overall but CDC felt that way. I joined up in my late teens, but as time went on CDC felt like it was made up of more a 40+ demographic. 

On 10/6/2023 at 12:23 AM, -AJ- said:

Agreed. Partly Facebook, but I really think the rise of Reddit killed most forums off for good. I think they both fill different niches and forums definitely still exist out there in other communities, such as car and tech communities, but my friends who I've tried to get on CDC either get their fills through Facebook and Reddit. I feel that neither support long form conversations as well as the traditional medium we use, which is one of the reasons I like it more. 

Never gave Reddit much of a chance, didn't like the look of it at all.

I'm 43 now, back when I was in my late teens/early 20s forums was where I found I could discuss things online in long form.  Started on the Dark Vancouver forum and as that community withered started spending more time here.  Have stayed since and have never really gotten into other social media.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Never gave Reddit much of a chance, didn't like the look of it at all.

I'm 43 now, back when I was in my late teens/early 20s forums was where I found I could discuss things online in long form.  Started on the Dark Vancouver forum and as that community withered started spending more time here.  Have stayed since and have never really gotten into other social media.

Yeah, I think your story probably echoes that of a lot of users from the 40+ age range. Forums were all the rage in the 2000s and if you were a big internet user back then, you probably got used to that format. It's users who are under 30 who probably used forums very little (especially once you go under 25 or so) and only Reddit or other modern social media mediums.